Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a ceiling when shooting Limited Minor?

grkmec

I shoot limited minor and just got serious about competing. I absolutely love shooting my Sig X5 Tactical and want to keep shooting that. Right now I am a strong C-level shooter with a goal to make into into A-level. Am I setting myself up for failure shooting Limited Minor? How many A-level or higher shooters are there shooting Limited minor?

I dabbled quite a bit this past year on shooting Limited Minor. I am a solid B in both Limited and Production. I just loved not having to do reloads as much. I think if I stuck with it in 2010, I could bust into A with Limited Minor. But the single stack 1911's are calling my name.

I like shooting Limited minor as well. Just not very often :) It's all about the hit-factor. Five C's and three D's will hurt you shooting minor say on a 30 round COF. Example, your buddy, another C class Limited guy shooting major nearly matches your hits and time. Well, he pretty much whooped ya' :huh:

Jim

I shot my bone-stock CZ-75B as limited minor(grabbed the wrong glock on the way out the door). We had an all paper field course, 20 round minimum. I had the best hits(98/100) and if I had not blown my reload(I removed the mag brake before the match and did not practice, mag hung up on the grip screws) and screwed up my my planned order of engagement I would have been a heck of alot faster.

Place Name No. Class Division Points Penalties Time Hit Factor Stage Pts Stage %

1st Place 18 B Limited 83 0 10.54 7.8748 100.0000 100.00%

2nd Place 20 C Limited 92 0 12.12 7.5908 96.3936 96.39%

3rd Place 3 B Limited 89 0 12.61 7.0579 89.6264 89.63%

4th Place 34 C Limited 88 0 17.02 5.1704 65.6575 65.66%

5th DoubleDelta 2 C Limited 98 0 19.44 5.0412 64.0169 64.02%

My RO even told me that when I wasn't swearing I was realy fast.

Back to the OP, if you find a 9 that you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately, you would do yourself a disservice by switching to a .40 with which you are uncomfortable and inaccurate. I may not know alot, but after four years of doing myself that diservice, I feel qualified to give that advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Limited minor you might help yourself on a very few stages where the round count saves a reload. In SS minor can be a nice advantage 10 vs 8 in the mag

Actually I don't think 10 vs. 8 is an advantage anyway. Stages have to be 8 round neutral per the rules and it seldom makes any difference that I have 10 in my Production gun vs. 8 in my SS except that I can miss more in production.

Limited minor you might help yourself on a very few stages where the round count saves a reload. In SS minor can be a nice advantage 10 vs 8 in the mag

Actually I don't think 10 vs. 8 is an advantage anyway. Stages have to be 8 round neutral per the rules and it seldom makes any difference that I have 10 in my Production gun vs. 8 in my SS except that I can miss more in production.

It matters in matches where there's good stage design, not a repeating pattern of 8-8-8-8.....

When you get patterns of 2-6-4-8-2-7 with some targets visible from multiple places, it can make for vastly different approaches to a stage.....

It matters in matches where there's good stage design, not a repeating pattern of 8-8-8-8.....

When you get patterns of 2-6-4-8-2-7 with some targets visible from multiple places, it can make for vastly different approaches to a stage.....

I agree. I've seen stages where one COULD engage more than 8 from one position, but it was not necessary for them to do so. In that instance, I could see it being an advantage.

Either way, though, my intuition suggests that limited minor would suffer many disadvantages in exchange for the rare advantage on a stage or two.

Is limited minor competitive? I don't think the answer is clear, but my intuition says "no." I'm not saying that nobody can pull it off, because that's obviously false--I've seen a lot of people shoot limited minor who would have beat me! But any match I show up to, I want to at least have equipment on my belt that could win the match, in the hands of the right person. And while TGO has been known to kick the crap out of open/major shooters with production guns scoring minor power factor, the overwhelming majority of us would find it really hard to "hang" in a division in which the norm for the division was major pf.

If you look closely, the only people shooting minor on any large level are production shooters. While I have seen people shooting limited and single stack divisions with minor pf guns, it's very uncommon, and I think the reason for that is that it gives the shooter a competitive disadvantage.

Edited by twodownzero