Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me plan my 2010 campaign

DoubleDelta

I am looking for some advice on next year. I have decided to totaly turn my practice/match prep routine on its head by actualy starting to practice. :o I have been shooting Limited with a Glock 35 that is bone-stock except for a shock-buff and grip-tape for the last 2 or 3 years. I just joined USPSA but if i had joined at the begining of the year my percent would be 54.3837. After running a local match, taking the RO class and seeing my name at the top of the results a few times, I want to get serious about my shooting.

I have Brian's book-which I seemed to think would instantly make me a better shooter by proximity since I could not wrap my head around it at the time and never finished it. If I don't get the dry-fire book for Christmas I plan on ordering it. But first order of buisness is to read and UNDERSTAND Brian's book. Second is 15-20 minutes a day of working out and another 15-20 of dry-fire.

What I am considering for next year is to switch to Production and shoot my CZ-75. I am more confidant with it than I am with my G35 for some reason. My goal is to make high B or low A this time next year. Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to my rambling!

there really isnt any magic wand. Frequent practice. A little practice often is much better than alot of practice occasionally. Pick a drill or two for each session, use a par timer and try to beat the clock.

Seek out the best possible instruction you can find. Look for USPSA GM in your area with great teaching credentials. Ask around. Expect to pay a pretty good sum. BUT, nothing will get you there faster or more effectively. Homeschooling (training) is critical. But you need to learn what and HOW to train. Trust me, if their was one thing I would do if I were to do it ALL OVER AGAIN it would be finding good instruction early.

Jim

If I don't get the dry-fire book for Christmas I plan on ordering it. But first order of buisness is to read and UNDERSTAND Brian's book.

Brian's book is a mind-bender. Don't expect to get it the first few times around.

If you're talking about Steve Anderson's dry fire book, PM with an address and I'll send you mine. It's just sitting on a shelf.

Leam

Seek out the best possible instruction you can find. Look for USPSA GM in your area with great teaching credentials. Ask around. Expect to pay a pretty good sum. BUT, nothing will get you there faster or more effectively. Homeschooling (training) is critical. But you need to learn what and HOW to train. Trust me, if their was one thing I would do if I were to do it ALL OVER AGAIN it would be finding good instruction early.

Jim

Unfourtunately we do not have any GMs in the area. I would pay well for that kind of instruction. The link to the dry-fire thread is a goldmine! I tried a search for dry-fire and came back with a deluge; some good, others I don't know.

Jim

Unfourtunately we do not have any GMs in the area. I would pay well for that kind of instruction. The link to the dry-fire thread is a goldmine! I tried a search for dry-fire and came back with a deluge; some good, others I don't know.

:) You're a 4 hour drive from what many consider the best in the business. http://www.mannyusa.com/ Manny doesn't charge enough as far as I'm concerned but...oh well.

Their is not a better dollar to be spent if you are SERIOUS about your game. I would be all-over-this.

Jim

Jim

:) You're a 4 hour drive from what many consider the best in the business. http://www.mannyusa.com/ Manny doesn't charge enough as far as I'm concerned but...oh well.

Their is not a better dollar to be spent if you are SERIOUS about your game. I would be all-over-this.

Jim

You should also consider Ben Stoeger's new dry fire program.

http://www.benstoeger.com/

It's great to have some instruction from a great teacher and shooter. I did it a few years ago and it helped me tremendously. Try to find an instructor that gives you info you can take home and apply to your training. What I mean is, an instructor that doesn't just have you shoot a lot but gives you the tools to progress in your own training since they can't be there for you every day. Tools such as live fire drills, dry fire drill, match stage techniques, etc. Knowing how to practice with a purpose can increase your production drastically.

Don't sweat Brian's book, I would recommend reading it in its entirety even if at times it seems deep. Then, after some experience, revisit the book. This is what I did and the second time around was a lot better. Things he said clicked because I had developed better reference points (4 years in between readings). With sound instruction from a GM, I probably could have understood more in a lot less time. A Cheely class really helped, but I waited almost 4 years to go after some solid GM training from Cheely. I really regret that and would love a "do-over". If possible I would have gotten that class a lot sooner, years sooner.

Dang. It's as if I wrote this myself. A few years ago I was exactly like you. Shooting a bone stock G35 in C class in Cedar Rapids. For me, reading Brian's book was a turning point, but it is tough to wrap your head around, and not just the first time you read it. Take what you can get out of it, then go shoot and come back to the book to take some more. I'll also recommend Matt Burkett's videos, especially volumes 1-4. I'm sure that professional coaching is awesome, but for me the price makes it out of reach. I'm going into the poorhouse with this sport as it is. You have to ask yourself what your goals are, and if you want to be a GM or M and win Sectional, Area, and National matches it's probably worth every penny, but those aren't my goals so I'll keep plugging along in my usual way.

The one thing that made all the difference for me was regular practice. You have to commit to doing it. For me it was at least one 45 minute dryfire session every week and one 100 round range trip every other week, and in each instance I'd pick a particular skill to hone in on. The tough thing about that is to pick something you actually really need to work on, not just hammer home what you're already good at because it makes you feel accomplished.

Good luck!

Edit to add: As far as switching guns goes, shoot your favorite gun. I shot a Glock for years, and while I did well with it I've done better with guns that fit me better. If it were reasonable for me to shoot my trusty ol' S&W Model 14 for everything, I totally would. I will be shooting it in ICORE's new Retro division, though.

Edited by Revopop

Wow, thanks for all the info. I thought I would have to hop a plane and deal with all those headaches just to get good instruction! Looks like I need to budget for that.

Miss having you around CRAPS glockopop. If you ever come back for a visit, let me know.