Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The New Guga Ribas Holster

lynn jones

This is a review of the new “Guga Ribas Holster”. http://www.gugaribas.com.br/Ingles/

I first saw this holster at the Area 2 Championship back in November. The first thing that caught my eye was the quality of the workman ship and machining of the holster. The holster is made of aluminum, and comes in several colors. The Guga Ribas Holster on first inspection resembled the Ghost Holster. On closer examination there is a tensioning bolt that allows for a light to heavy draw. There is also a secure lock down lever, like that of the Ghost Holster and the Limcat Holster. The tensioning bolt allows for a secure heavy draw which will retain the gun in the holster while you have to move before drawing the gun, i.e. the classifier “Celeritas & Diligentia CM-99-3. This is the biggest advantage I see the Guga Ribas Holster has over the Ghost Holster and the Limcat Holster.

The Guga Ribas Holster comes with fittings that allow the holster to accommodate STI, SVI, PARA, and many other guns. The holster also comes with cut down allen wrenches to fit the holster to your body.

The Guga Ribas Holster is a two-part holster. Meaning, you can unbolt the holster with the gun still attached. This will allow easy bagging of the gun, and still be safe. This is one feature I didn’t care for. The retaining bolt that holds the holster to the belt came loose while I was practicing Sunday and almost hit the ground. I have since “Loctite” the bolt. I also had to grind the outside plastic flange because it had some sharp edges that scraped on my second finger will dry firing.

In review the Guga Ribas Holster is an excellent holster. The price was a little steep, $189 from Speed Shooting International. Which is where I purchased mine. The Guga Ribas Holster has intergraded the best features of the Ghost and Limcat holsters and made his better.

You can view the holster attached and unattached here:

1)Holster on CR Speed belt. http://www.memphis-ssa.com/guga1.jpg

2)Gun and holster unattached, left side. http://www.memphis-sa.com/gugadetached.jpg

3)Gun and holster unattached, right side. http://www.memphis-ssa.com/guga2.jpg

Lynn (I should get paid for this) Jones :ph34r:

Hope your right, I just ordered one. So far I have a Safariland 011, Lim Cat, CR Speed and the holster I always go back to is the one I bought 1st. It's a Hogue Power Speed.

I always draw from the intermediate locked position and have never found anything faster or more secure.

I looked at the Ghost holster and see no advantage over the Hogue. Perhaps the

"Guga Ribas Holster" will fill the bill???

It does look like an interesting holster.

• 3 weeks later...

lynn,

As you know Marc broke down and bought the SSi. Sold me his Ghost :D . He brought it over tonight to share. pretty cool, dosen't work with my Para(wont lock) but still cool. But then i got to looking at it from an angle and the holster looks PINK! I dont know about you but i wouldn't get caught dead with a pink holster. :P

later

Justin

do you know anyone looking for a Safariland 011?link to ad

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking to purchase a holster for my new race gun (STI). There was a posting last November about the SSI Speed Holsters but no-one seemed to have tried it out.

Can anyone give me a product review, preferrably against a Ghost, CR speed & Limcat?

I need something that will fit both standard and open class guns (SVI std/STI open)

Cheers

Elaine

*QUOTE*

My problem with it is it scratches my gun, where the magnets are.

You might try this, push the magnets in a little and put some 5 min epoxy in the holes over the magnets. I did and it stopped the scratching. Always draw from the semilocked postition and cut off the magnet closest to the belt, follow the grove.

• 1 year later...

Based on Lynn's review I bought one.

I will not be going back to my CR Speed. Fairly secure unlocked and can't drag it out at all with it locked. Fast and smooth. I did have a little trouble at first getting a clean release when I first put it on. I had it set where I was drawing the gun at an angle and pulling it sideways. When I set the holster at the proper angle it is very slick and does offer a fair amount of latitude for differences in my draw angle. Overall it is the best I have tried by a fair margin. It also allows me to use it for my Open gun, my6" Fat Free, my 5' Limited and several other guns with no changes at all. Huge plus for me.

I rate it 4 smileys! :D:D:D:D

Since this thread is being resurrected, I'll share that I just got one (holster and two mag pouches) a little over a week ago myself and really like it so far. Admittedly, it hasn't actually been to the range (it's really cold here and my eyes are still dialing themselves in after prk) but it's been through a number of dry fire sessions.

I went from an 011 to the Ribas and have found, like Merlin, that the holster gives much better releases than my Safariland. I think this is a combination of the holster's innards plus I was able to get it adjusted to where my draw pulls the gun out 'square' with the holster. I could never get my Safariland adjusted to that point, with 5 years of trying. I was also surprised at how secure the gun can be even when not locked.

Looking forward to the weather breaking so I can get some real range time with this new setup!

Of course, one of the best things about our race holsters is that you can change them and the wife never notices (unless she looks at your bank statement!)

I have a cugra ribas hoster and i love it just make sure that you have the finger screw that holds the 2 halves of the holster tight. The holster inproved my draw time a little over an old gost. what i like the most is the cover. It is secure and protects the gun well. I used it most in NM when the sand blows.

I have been using one for a year or so now and love it. I am somewhat surprised that this holster is not more popular since it really does address the issues that most of us have found with the more popular models. I guess it is perceived as being really expensive but it is actually only $30 more than I paid for my Limcat.

Based on Lynn's review I bought one.

I will not be going back to my CR Speed. Fairly secure unlocked and can't drag it out at all with it locked. Fast and smooth. I did have a little trouble at first getting a clean release when I first put it on. I had it set where I was drawing the gun at an angle and pulling it sideways. When I set the holster at the proper angle it is very slick and does offer a fair amount of latitude for differences in my draw angle. Overall it is the best I have tried by a fair margin. It also allows me to use it for my Open gun, my6" Fat Free, my 5' Limited and several other guns with no changes at all. Huge plus for me.

I rate it 4 smileys! :D:D:D:D

What he said! :D

• 11 months later...

No clue about the Para, but the Gugas basically requires a CR belt. Any angular shifting of the holster on the draw and you'll get holster wedgie. I had a Gugas for a couple weeks and decided that my Safariland 012 was still a superior holster in the end.

YMMV