Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Determination

Yagi

How badly do you want to succeed in life? Let's look at the importance of passion and determination in getting what you want.

Do you know anyone who is afraid to want something very badly for fear that they may be terribly disappointed if they don't get it? Maybe you feel this way sometimes yourself. This kind of negative thinking can sabotage your efforts and create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Many years ago, a young man, who wanted to become a lawyer, wrote to Abraham Lincoln for advice. Lincoln replied, "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already. Always bear in mind that your resolution to succeed is more important than any other thing."

You see, one of the qualities that separates many successful people from extremely talented people who fail, is the sheer force of their will, their passion, and their overwhelming desire. Tommy Lasorda is fond of saying, "Races are not won by the fastest athletes; fights are not won by the strongest men. But the races are won, and the fights are won, by those who want to win most of all."

I agree. Willpower may not always override talent, but it is the factor that causes people of ordinary ability to accomplish extraordinary things.

How badly do you want to succeed in life? Let's look at the importance of passion and determination in getting what you want.

Do you know anyone who is afraid to want something very badly for fear that they may be terribly disappointed if they don't get it? Maybe you feel this way sometimes yourself. This kind of negative thinking can sabotage your efforts and create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Many years ago, a young man, who wanted to become a lawyer, wrote to Abraham Lincoln for advice. Lincoln replied, "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already. Always bear in mind that your resolution to succeed is more important than any other thing."

You see, one of the qualities that separates many successful people from extremely talented people who fail, is the sheer force of their will, their passion, and their overwhelming desire. Tommy Lasorda is fond of saying, "Races are not won by the fastest athletes; fights are not won by the strongest men. But the races are won, and the fights are won, by those who want to win most of all."

I agree. Willpower may not always override talent, but it is the factor that causes people of ordinary ability to accomplish extraordinary things.

Good stuff, thanks :cheers:

The enemy of great is good.

Everyone wants to win, only a few choose to win. Winning is a choice, I've always believed that. For the purposes of this thread, I'd rephrase and say success is a choice.

But the choice isn't one that an individual can say "I choose to win now"

The choice comes in the preparation, the desire, the sheer will to be better than anyone at whatever they choose.

Sometimes people amaze me with this type of stuff. I love the folks who just "do the task" and nothing more figuring that's going to get them there. I don't understand it. If one is willing to go through the effort of doing a task, why not take that task to the highest level they can, and why not do the task better than anyone else?

I guess I'll end where I started.

The enemy of great is good.

Jack

P.S. Great OP BTW!

It is key to understand oneself and have ones own definition of success.

Many who have succeeded in the eyes of others have completely failed themselves.

Nice add.

And many who succeed in one realm of life fail miserably in others.

be

A little bit of thread drift here, but not much.

Today was a day for the birds of prey. The sky was pristine and crystal blue. We drove down to the lake, about 20 minutes from the house. The eagles, hawks, and falcons were out in force. I think we saw seven or eight different birds. I love watching them just going about their lives, soaring, sitting, and hunting. By them, I am reminded that I too should do, whatever I do, with purposeful intent.

how much you want something is at least half of getting something.

take for instance the rocky balboa boxing movies (im not a big fan of sly stallone fyi). The main character in these movies rarely had more athletic skill, superior physicality or higher intelligence than the other guy. Most of the time it was definitely the other way around. It was simply his drive to win and willingness and ability to get punched over and over and make the other guy tired that allowed him to win. lol

Edited by Field

"You must always push the limits. If you never fail, you never truly succeed."

This is a quote (among many) that I keep in mind. I have come across too many people that "want" something, but often find excuses that they can't (or say that they are not ready).

I am a member of a fencing club (olympic style), and it includes several strongly rated fencers (fencing ratings go from "E" to "A"). I am a "D" rated fencer (basically equate that to a "C" class shooter), and there are a number of "C" rated fencers in the club. Even though I am a lower rated fencer, I have qualified and competed in 9 of the last 10 US Fencing Summer Nationals. None of the other fencers can say that. I have yet to finish a tournament high enough to earn my "C" rating. I am considered one of the toughest competitors in the club, and always a challenge across the state.

I don't mention the above to toot my own horn, but to make a point. Most of those years I could only practice fencing once every other week on average through the season. I could have easily said, "I'm not ready for the Nationals", and not tried to qualify. The club practices three times a week, and most of the other club members participated in at least two of those weekly practices. I am determined every year to qualify for the nationals and compete, therefore I do what I can to achieve that.

"You must always push the limits. If you never fail, you never truly succeed."

This is a quote (among many) that I keep in mind. I have come across too many people that "want" something, but often find excuses that they can't (or say that they are not ready).

I am a member of a fencing club (olympic style), and it includes several strongly rated fencers (fencing ratings go from "E" to "A"). I am a "D" rated fencer (basically equate that to a "C" class shooter), and there are a number of "C" rated fencers in the club. Even though I am a lower rated fencer, I have qualified and competed in 9 of the last 10 US Fencing Summer Nationals. None of the other fencers can say that. I have yet to finish a tournament high enough to earn my "C" rating. I am considered one of the toughest competitors in the club, and always a challenge across the state.

I don't mention the above to toot my own horn, but to make a point. Most of those years I could only practice fencing once every other week on average through the season. I could have easily said, "I'm not ready for the Nationals", and not tried to qualify. The club practices three times a week, and most of the other club members participated in at least two of those weekly practices. I am determined every year to qualify for the nationals and compete, therefore I do what I can to achieve that.

Nice add - thanks.

Not sure why... Your post brought up an old childhood memory. I was at church camp - about 13 years old. They had a tether ball game, which I'd never seen before. So of course I lost every game, at first. So I took a break and watched the kids play, and studied the winner's methods. Pretty simple strategy really - hit the ball so it's always high on the opponent's side so he can never reach it. By the end of church camp I could not be defeated.

be

Here's how I won my Rod & Gun club's rifle competion: through determination, goal setting, patience and incremental improvements:

I started shooting weekly rifle matches with my small R&G club four years ago - we mostly shoot positions at 100 and 200yds, with HP rifles. This is a bunch of decent shot hunters getting together for a fun shoot, so as to be better hunters, but the competition spirit is very real, and I enjoy the bragging rights. ;-)

My first goal was to learn how to quickly acquire the target, settle for a decent sight picture, and release a good shot. By the end of the 1st season, I had much improved.

The next year, I set out to reduce my average group size. I also started shooting metallic silhouette smallbore matches at other ranges, even went to the silhouette Nationals. I came in third overall that year at the R&G, knocking 2" off my average group size while increasing my avg. score.

Two years ago, a buddy and I decided we would set out to win first and second place overall. He too got into shooting 22LR silhouette. That year, my average group shrank by 1/2", my average score increased by another pt., and I came in 4th.

This year I kept at the .22; at the R&G matches knocked another 1/4" off my average group, increased my average score by 0.5pt. I won first place and my buddy placed 2nd.

Yeah, determination is a key ingredient to success.

• 4 months later...

If person wants to be successful in their life than Determination, passions and the will power are must. If this is there then success can never let you go.A strong determination about achieving a goal require a passion and a strong will power as you said to do extraordinary things in life.Not desire but a burning desire to achieve something in life really make a lot of difference.It is really a worth reading stuff yagi,I love it. Keep it up.