Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is gas the only way to go?

prickett

I'm considering going airsoft and see that you have a choice between spring and gas powered pistols. Most people seem to be buying gas guns. Are spring guns a viable option or are they just toys?

For IDPA/USPSA etc. practice, the spring guns are toys at best. They are single shot, requiring a manual 'recocking' for each pull of the trigger. Gas guns are semi-auto and operate much like a regular semi-auto firearm.

If you just want to practice drawing from a holster, a spring gun would be OK, I guess......

Barry

• 2 months later...

Four types:

GBB

NBB

AEP

Spring

AEP's (automatic electric pistols) are also out on the market, and are generally cheaper than their counterparts in GBB (gas blow back). AEP's have unrealistic magazines, and NO recoil (less than even spring pistols, in my experience). That said, they are VIABLE (though certainly not preferable) as alternatives to gas-powered guns.

If you have family with extreme sensitivity to propane, or don't have appropriate ventilation, then AEP's are an alternative. If at all possible though, go with gas.

• 4 years later...

I have my magazines modified to shoot from an attached air compressor. You can adjust the pressure, and there is no propane smell. Just make sure to add a few drops of oil every now and then, as you tend to forget when you are not constantly refilling the gas.

I have my magazines modified to shoot from an attached air compressor. You can adjust the pressure, and there is no propane smell. Just make sure to add a few drops of oil every now and then, as you tend to forget when you are not constantly refilling the gas.

This is the best way to go.

So recommendations for airsoft guns? and where is a reputable place to buy.. quality is paramount

I bought a KWA ATP (Adaptive Training Pistol = Glock-like without the lawsuits) that uses propane or green gas, I bought it from Pyramid Air.

Pyramid Air is pretty reputable, and sells a ton of airsoft and air-pellet guns.

• 3 weeks later...

Gas blowback for sure, check out the other thread too for modified mags hooked to a compressor for static and steel training. And Tokyo Marui 2011 for an awesome stock trainer.

Edited by A-shot

• 1 month later...

I just bought an KWA ATP (Adaptive Training Pistol = Glock-like without the lawsuits) that uses propane or green gas. This morning so far it is great, I bought it at a local shop that deals in them. Using the green gas Make sure when you load the magazine that the pellets are in the proper staggered order. or they can jam. Also make sure you release the mag spring so it will feed the BB's

I can say that it works very well out of the box, other than me doing stuff that caused my problems. http://kwausa.com/

Now just having to make a target frame and BB catcher I'm using 2'x3' targets at about 20 feet. Have to clear a hole in the 2nd floor storage over the garage for another ten feet or so.

I have to say that I like it the weight and feel is almost spot on. I was in Dick's sporting goods and they had a co2 1911 style on sale so I bought that one too other than needing the cartridges it is a nice gun and shots well. Ignite-blackops is the name of the maker here is the website

Now just having to make a target frame and BB catcher I'm using 2'x3' targets at about 20 feet. Have to clear a hole in the 2nd floor storage over the garage for another ten feet or so.

20 feet is plenty, just print scaled-down targets and paste them onto a pink insulation board 2" thick and you got the BB catcher.

Plus one for gas guns here. I do like to use my spring gun also though. I treat each shot like it was followed with a jam and practice the motions of getting the gun back up. Kinda a stretch but they are super cheap and it keeps me practicing when I run out of gas and have to wait for more to come in.

I also have taken to using my gas 1911 for practice two or three times a week then recycling the fired BBs in my spring gun. Also my gas gun is the first thing I hand to someone new that wants to learn how to shoot. If they do something stupid it's much less consequential though still should be treated like the potentially dangerous weapon it emulates.

• 5 months later...

I've had mine less than a week, but I've been running the hell out of it. I went with a GBB all metal frame 1911, a propane adapter, and a 3 pack of coleman fuel. I use it with my single stack gear. I bought some rim fire sized plate racks and printed off some 1/3 ipsc targets taped to corrugated boxes and set up in my garage. The boxes catch most of the bb's as they don't have enough force to exit the back, I just sweep the rest of them up when I'm done. I think it is good training. The biggest surprise to me was how much louder the air gun is than my suppressed 22...

• 4 weeks later...

gas is the way to go for sure.

Some will say that co2 beats the gun up faster and is inconsistent.

They'd be right, but c02 cartridges are readily available and cheap.

Greengas is spendy, even if you get the propane adapter.

I typically order from evike (pronounced e-vick) the prices are good and there is typically a coupon on retail-me-not to reduce their absurd shipping cost.

Computer duster gas is another way to go for plastic slide guns like the Tokyo Marui Hi Capa, the holy grail of airsoft pistols. Mine looks and functions like a clone of an STI Eagle, and the DP Ice magwel from my Edge mounts right up to it. I planned to upgrade my Hi Capa with a metal slide to run propane, but have been pleasantly surprised with how well it runs on a variety of cheap electronics duster gasses from Office Max and Walmart. Duster gas is cheap and less obnoxious than propane for indoor shooting. Velocities are lower than propane, but its plenty snappy and accurate for mocking up classifier and mini stages indoors.