Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanted Glock 17 Production Minor 115 - 124 Favorite Loads?

Collateral

I am new to USPSA with just a couple of matches under my belt, and am really enjoying my new hobby. One of the bonuses if the sport is reloading for my blaster. I have a lot to learn, but the process is fun. One of the things that makes reloading interesting is that it is not always very intuitive.

I have been testing loads for a Glock 17 for a while and came to a few conclusions:

- 9mm is very sensitive to OAL (overall length of the cartage) and crimp depending on the powder

- The barrel length affects the load a lot. There is a pretty big difference between what runs good in a G34 vs. a G17.

- The powder and OAL combination have a big impact on accuracy.

SR4756 (very accurate, but on the edge of making minor)

Titegroup (pretty accurate & soft shooting, I like this stuff)

Universal (medium accuracy & soft shooting)

VV N320 (?? Work in progress looks very promising)

- I find it can be tough to prevent run out during seating. I have this mostly under control, but if I rush it crops up occasionally.

- Recoil is greatly affected by powder type. This is is really noticeable when I am able to use my chrono. Sometimes a soft shooting load (Titegroup) has a high velocity and tight standard deviation. Then a load with much higher recoil (SR4756) has such low velocity it would barely make minor! It was surprising to me that recoil does not have a very direct relationship to velocity.

- I tend to prefer the snap recoil of a 115 - 124 grain over the push of a 147. This is just personal preference.

I have a new respect for loading 9mm. So far my favorite is 4.5 of TiteGroup on a 115 FMJ at 1.13. This is good, but could be better.

I enjoy working working up loads as much as the next guy, but components are expensive and tough to get.

So are any of you Glock 17 shooters willing to share any of your secrets and help shorten my learning curve?

I am looking for highly accurate loads for 115 -124 grain FMJ loads. Please include powder type, powder grains, bullet, and the all important OAL.

That link has been a good reference for some of the loads I have been using to date (after doing a reality check with my load books).

The load books in general cover a specific round. Well with the power of internet, why not take it further and try to get good data on a specific gun. In this case a Glock 17 with 115 - 124 grn FMJ's. 9mm seems to be quirky enough that I am looking for some feedback from the Glock 17 shooters out there.

Plus a good opportunity to get to know a few Glock 17 fans out there.

Welcome to the forums. Truly, to many "pet loads" out there. I searched and found this...

Enjoy!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=89264&st=0

Hello: These loads are for my Glock 17. The first is 125 JHP Zero 3.7gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP primers. 115gr JHP Montana Gold 4.5gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. 147gr Precision 3.2gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. My favorite load 121gr Montana Gold 4.2gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. These all are between 130-133PF. Thanks, Eric

Hello: These loads are for my Glock 17. The first is 125 JHP Zero 3.7gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP primers. 115gr JHP Montana Gold 4.5gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. 147gr Precision 3.2gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. My favorite load 121gr Montana Gold 4.2gr Tite Group 1.140" OAL WSP. These all are between 130-133PF. Thanks, Eric

I, too am looking for 124FMJ loads for a 17. I'm experimenting with 231 and Silhouette, but am a noob. I KNOW there are Silhouette fans out there. How about some help??!

In my G 17, I use 4.2 grains of VV 320 with a 125 grain Zero or MG FMJ bullets (both .356 diameter) at 1.100" OAL. The load chronographed at a 132.5 pf at a recent Area 1 match. I like the recoil impulse with 320 and the 125 gr bullets and is more than accurate enough for my needs. You should find the load almost identical with 124 grain FMJ bullets. I also use the same load in my G34. The feel is the same with slightly greater velocity out of the longer barrel.

I assume you have a chrono.

I like 4.1 grs of Solo 1000 with a 124gr Montana Gold (or other) bullet. 1.130 OAL You are going to have to chrono to confirm. Makes 131PF in my G34. I have had this load run fine in a G19 and barely make PF in a XD Tactical. It's a pretty wide swing based on the gun you own. Can't assume one G17 is the same as the next.

- I find it can be tough to prevent run out during seating. I have this mostly under control, but if I rush it crops up occasionally.

What dies are you using. I just tried a Hornady with a in-line seater. I have to have the bullet placed PERFECT for it to work even close to right. My Lee seating die puts everything in the case much better. I find the 9mm a easy case to load.

I have an older Lee (plastic top knob) and a newly acquired Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension seating dies. The Lee is an in line old school die and provides ok results. I had high hope for the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension seating die, but it is a nested design with a fair amount of wiggle between the nested sleeves. I am considering moving to a Redding Competition seating die, and see how that goes. I expand just enough to fit the base of the bullet snugly, seat, and then remove the bell with a mild taper crimp. I find that I need to seat slowly and I usually need to rotate the bullet as part of the seating process. If I seat too fast, load long and don’t rotate the brass case halfway during seating I will get run out. In other words roll the completed cartridge across a table and watch the nose of the bullet wiggle. The rest of the Hornady set is nice, but I am considering moving to a Redding Competition Seating die. This is all on a single stage press. I am not sure why it is a challenge to prevent run out in the 9mm, but when it happens your accuracy totally goes away.

What dies are you using. I just tried a Hornady with a in-line seater. I have to have the bullet placed PERFECT for it to work even close to right. My Lee seating die puts everything in the case much better. I find the 9mm a easy case to load.

I have an older Lee (plastic top knob) and a newly acquired Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension seating dies. The Lee is an in line old school die and provides ok results.

My brand new Hornady CGND dies also seat poorly. 10% fail the case gauge. I talked to Hornady yesterday. They want me to send it back and have them make a custom seating plug and check the die. My cheap Lee die that is about 3 years old works much better. Nothing ever fails the case gauge with my Lee dies using a normal crimp die. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying anything else.

• 3 months later...

5.7 WAP/SILHOUETTE with Hornady 115 fmj's & WSP is my most accurate light bullet load

5.3 WAP/SILHOUETTE with Winchester 124 fmj's & WSP is OK

4.5 WAP/SILHOUETTE with Precision Delta 147 FMJTC & WSP is THE most accurate load for me ever. It's a bit much for minor and I am Working this up in an M&P Pro now.

Loading the last of my WAP and will be getting Silhouette when I run out.

I do question how many are loading Silhouette for 9-minor though.

Seems like the 9-major folks use it more and the minor loaders are using faster powders.

4.6 gr of Bullseye

115gr Berry's plated RN

WSP

OAL of 1.12

125 to 127 PF out of my G17 and very accurate.

5gr of W231 or Unique

124gr Precision Delta FMJ

WSP

OAL 1.15

130ish PF from G17 (mainly G34 load)

New loads I am working on for 115gr include the use of WSF and HS6. Heading out this weekend to test them, along with 124 gr XTP and Unique. I post the results.

5.7 WAP/SILHOUETTE with Hornady 115 fmj's & WSP is my most accurate light bullet load

4.5 WAP/SILHOUETTE with Precision Delta 147 FMJTC & WSP is THE most accurate load for me ever. It's a bit much for minor and I am Working this up in an M&P Pro now.

Seems like the 9-major folks use it more and the minor loaders are using faster powders.

I have been using Silhouette with 124/5's for some time. It does shoot soft in my Beretta, however I am battling unburned powder left in the gun. It hasn't caused a malfunction yet. I have some BBI 130gr. bullets to try with it.

• 2 months later...

I have been using Silhouette with 124/5's for some time. It does shoot soft in my Beretta, however I am battling unburned powder left in the gun. It hasn't caused a malfunction yet. I have some BBI 130gr. bullets to try with it.

I get unburned powder and it never caused a problem in my G17 in 10+ years. I heard years ago that WAP/Silhouette burns cleaner at higher pressure. That's probably why I see more 9-major guys use it.

Here's a few of my favorite 124/125 gr loads that I've used in my Glock 17:

Bullet: Precision Flat Nose; Powder: Accurate #7 7.8 grains; Power Factor: 131 (Jarvis barrel)

Bullet: PD Sales, Lead Flat Nose; Powder: Accurate #2 4.2 grains; Power Factor: 127 (Jarvis barrel)

Bullet: Precision Flat Nose; Powder: Accurate #2 4.5 grains; Power Factor: 133 (Jarvis barrel)

I keep the OAL for my cartridges between 1.089 - 1.115, depending on type, shape, and weight of the bullet and the powder that I'm using.

I also have loads for 147 grain, my favorite bullet, it you are interested.

I also have loads for 147 grain, my favorite bullet, it you are interested.

Interested, much.

Barrel lengths - can it be safety assumed that a sweet G17 load will work nicely in G19?

I shot my first reloads yesterday: Precision Delta 115grn, Federal small pistol, 4.7grn Universal, 1.140 OAL. Burned dirty, but sounded and felt just like the Remington plinkers I had on hand to compare to. Made up another batch but at 1.135.

Thanks for all the posts.