Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older, fatter, slower...but still interested

Cacuts Mike

My name is Mike Lyons. I was an active shooter locally for about a dozen years until 1995. Shot the unlimited nationals in '94 and had an experience shooting an "early" Chuck Rogers race gun in 9X21...remember those?, (kind of like Vega's and Pinto's...people remember the name they just never actually saw one). The gun was amazing but the caliber was too critical to reload and function was less than 100%...no fault of Chuck's.

I developed a more conservative approach in 1995 and moved to "Limited". Shot the nationals that fall and finished third in class and got a small but attractive piece of glass that I proudly display to this day. I left the sport due to a combination of factors (job change, Tim Ring robbery/homicide mess, etc.). I am now nearly fully matured (62). My eyes are not what they were then. I still suffer from being a little too husky and in spite of all that I am curious about getting back into the game.

My equipment is stuck in a time warp (1995) but I still have all of the stuff. Both of my guns are fully smithed Chuck Rogers .45 ACP's. A Colt National Match single stack and a Para P-14 wide body. Are there any old guy's out there competing or is it a young man's game? Any input from you guy's would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike Lyons

You will be right at home :cheers:

Yes there are some Lightspeed youngsters out there.

But us old farts have a blast as well :roflol:

Welcome home :cheers:

Jim

Hey Jim, I use to shoot the weekly Tuesday night at Rio is that match still going? Any other suggestions?

Mike

Last I heard was yes..I think they shoot steel

Jim

Mike, funny you should ask...today is my 63 rd birthday and I'm in the same condition you are. I have been shooting USPSA for about 30 years and IDPA since its beginning. I too am using a P14 which started out as a frame kit because Para was not making complete guns at that time. I have used it at 2 Limited Nationals and it has worked 100%. I have a green fiber optic front sight which helps me pick up the front sight quicker and the green is sharper/clearer to my old eyes. I also have Dawson base pads on the newer generation mags which gives me 18 rounds reloadable if I really slam them in. No, I'm not going to win against the young guns but I still love to compete and have fun. Single Stack is a good way to go also. Check out the rules on the USPSA web site and there have been changes.

Come on in, the waters fine.

Richard

New stuff...fiber optic sights- not for me, Divisions instead of classes- no more HOA- I think this is the reason for so many new shooters , course design has changed a lot- shoot them as they become visible, instead of these from box A, etc., the youngsters have grown up to be very fast... I just started competing again after a 7 year layoff. It's a steep relearning curve... I'm middle-aged, too, 62 this year. I am older, I think I'm just as fast, but the timer says differently, but I'm in better shape than ever. Have a good time, I am.

Oh yeah... you'll recognize most of the Classifiers...

Bring that Colt National Match, and a few new quality 8-round mags, and have a blast in single-stack...

The guys we shoot with run as young as 13, and a seasoned as 70... The vets have just as much fun, and DAMN can they shoot Alphas!

JeffWard

Hey Mike,

TNS is still rocking strong. Easily 100 plus shooters from young pups with amazing speed and great eyesight like Ogiebb to those of us more mature, refined, built in excuse laden greybacks. Rio also has full on USPSA matches most weekends and Ben Avery also has matches that are well attended. I imagine TNS will be packed tonight as it is the week of A2.

Perfect time to start again as the weather is just getting to be perfect now.

Rick