Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 9mm thread... New to reloading for 9mm

WhoIsJohnGalt

Gents,

I am new to reloading 9mm, but not new to reloading. Previously I have shot and loaded .45ACP for use in various 1911's almost exclusively, but I've recently picked up a couple of 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P's and I have started reloading for them on my Dillon 650. I am primarily using the M&P's for steel challenge and general range work/plinking. I've been using 125gr hard cast LRN from Dardas, OAL of 1.135" (about the shortest I can load them given the bullet shape) over 4.0gr of HP38. So far, the accuracy I am getting seems OK, but I haven't been able to determine exactly how well they are grouping because of windy conditions and a lack of an appropriate rest (I am no bullseye shooter so I know I am a source of error as well). What I have noticed is that I am not crazy about the 'feel' of these loads, for lack of a better term. They are too snappy for my liking. I have noticed though that shooting similar weight bullets in factory loads, namely Federal HST 124gr, feel much softer. I also have read much about people liking the heavier 147gr bullets in 9mm. This seems counter intuitive to me coming from shooting/loading .45 because I don't like the way the 230gr feel, and prefer the lighter/faster 185 & 200gr LSWC. What gives? Should I try increasing the charge to push these faster or would a different powder be better? I am assuming that the Federal HST are running faster than my loads are, and those feel much better to me.

I have several other powders I have yet to try in 9mm, namely Titegroup and PowerPistol. I have a mix of brass, but mostly Winchester and CCI primers. What I am looking for is a starting point for a 9mm load that has good accuracy potential and a 'soft' feel, something that doesn't jump as much under recoil and tracks well. It seems that unlike .45ACP where there are some good standard loads that will produce good results (200gr LSWC, 1.250 OAL, crimp to .469-.471 etc.) I have not seen any consensus for such a starting point on the 9mm.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I had good results with WW 231 using a 124 gr. jacketed bullet, but it was somewhat "snappy". The recoil from the 147 gr. bullets is more straight back, with less muzzle flip, and I can get back on target quicker. OAL is set to 1.14-1.15". I think you will like them. There are a number of manufacturers that make good bullets in this weight.

Gents,

I've been using 125gr hard cast LRN from Dardas, OAL of 1.135" over 4.0gr of HP38. I am not crazy about the 'feel' of these loads, for lack of a better term. They are too snappy for my liking. I have noticed though that shooting similar weight bullets in factory loads, namely Federal HST 124gr, feel much softer. I also have read much about people liking the heavier 147gr bullets in 9mm. Should I try increasing the charge to push these faster or would a different powder be better?

I can't help with 4.0 gr HP38, but it sounds like you might be able to back down to a lower

charge so it will be softer -not a higher charge.

I used to shoot factory 115 grains 9mm, at pf 128 - when I changed to 124 gr at pf 128,

the heavier bullets, at the same power factor felt much softer to me - "less snappy".

I've fired a friend's 147 gr, and they feel even softer, to me - I was an old .45 shooter

and it didn't make any sense to me either that heavier bullets would shoot softer, but

they sure seem to - I think the answer is that the pf is the same (slower velocity).

I would start at 3.5gr of Titegroup with your bullet. I would let your bullet shape be your guide for OAL. I would load the bullet out as long as it will fit in the magazine and chamber reliably.

The same load with a 122 LTC shoots into under 3inches easily at 50yds in my Bianchi gun and really well in other 9mm's too.

Good luck,

DougC

I've noticed people seem to prefer loading the 9mm rounds as long as possible. Is this just for feeding reliability?

Maybe an expert will also respond, but from what I've been reading here the

past two years, it seems to be mostly about feeding reliability.

You can't load them too long though, or they may not feed in your

mags, or worse, jam the bullet back into the case in your chamber.

So, "as long as possible".

Jack

Thanks all for the replies so far. I'm going to pick up some of the 147gr bullets this week and give those a try.

I've noticed people seem to prefer loading the 9mm rounds as long as possible. Is this just for feeding reliability?

Longer rounds tend to be more accurate since the bullet is closer to the rifling in the barrel. Load out until you find the length when the bullet is hitting the rifling or the round won't fit in the mag, then back off a little and you got a prime OAL for your gun.

Thanks all for the replies so far. I'm going to pick up some of the 147gr bullets this week and give those a try.

Longer rounds tend to be more accurate since the bullet is closer to the rifling in the barrel. Load out until you find the length when the bullet is hitting the rifling or the round won't fit in the mag, then back off a little and you got a prime OAL for your gun.

This is exactly why I started just this week to use my barrel as a case gauge. I found that my ammo was passing case gauge with flying colors but was about .02 too long for my chamber.

the 147's will produce a 'push' vs. a snap type recoil, softer feel??? its all pretty subjective, but yes 147's in general will produce a 'softer' felt recoil, i developed a load for a friend's Glock 34 that uses 147's but is running VV 3n37 powder, very soft recoil, so much so that we had to re-spring the gun and go lighter for positive ejection

• 1 month later...

I shoot 124 gr Montana Gold hp's AND lead 125 gr, round nose. BOTH are loaded with 4.2 grs of HP-38/Win231. BOTH shoot under 2 inches from a Ransom Rest at 25 yards in my S&W M&P 9mm's (I have 2).

I also want to try Power Pistol and AutoComp. I have test loads but have not had the time to set up the Ransom and shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider trying a 135 lead or moly-coated bullet with WSF. Less snappy than 115s or 124s. Less sluggish than 147s but feels just as soft to me.

Out of my SP01 with Bear Creek 135 at 1.125 OAL:

4.0 WSF = 130 PF

4.2 WSF = 136 PF

All standard cautions and disclaimers apply. This load works great in my gun but may not act the same in yours. Be sure to work up slowly, check for pressure signs and use a chronograph.

Consider trying a 135 lead or moly-coated bullet with WSF. Less snappy than 115s or 124s. Less sluggish than 147s but feels just as soft to me.

I think that the 125gr - 135gr is the best comprimise between the snappy and soft departments.

I settled on 125gr as they just worked better for me. 147gr is definetly soft and yes sometimes sluggish, it depends on your pistol and sometimes your grip.

You will have to try them. But to prove that you are feeling what you want, try all bullet weights with the same powder, and or the same bullet with three or four diferent powders.

I started with same powder and tried the various bullets and then decided on the projectile I wanted. Found the softest powder with that projectile and tweeked it from their.

The end result for me is the 125gr Zero JHP with TG or N320. About 3.7gr of either loaded to 1.125"

Actual powder charge will depend on what you are trying to acheive and what you are feeling.

3.8 grains of WSF and just about anyone's 147 grain load (jacketed, plated, or cast) is very soft and extremely clean burning. I prefer the Hornady 147 FMJ and this gets about 880 fps, has very soft recoil, and drops steel better than any 115 or 124 9mm I've tried. The 147/WSF is all I use for Minor 9mm.

Chris Christian

3.8 grains of WSF and just about anyone's 147 grain load (jacketed, plated, or cast) is very soft and extremely clean burning. I prefer the Hornady 147 FMJ and this gets about 880 fps, has very soft recoil, and drops steel better than any 115 or 124 9mm I've tried. The 147/WSF is all I use for Minor 9mm.

Chris Christian

3.8 WSF has worked well with 147 lead/moly for me. However, in my gun it does not make minor PF with jacketed. I had to bump up the charge to 4.2 WSF with 147 jacketed to get the 135 PF I was after.

3.3-3.5 Solo 1000, 147 grain lead bullets

If you prefer the snappier/sharper recoil of 185s and 200s in .45, you're probably going to want to load 115s. I suspect that you don't actually like this, but if that's what you're after, lighter bullets will cycle the slide faster.

Edited by twodownzero