Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa

sv45

The 625 and 25 both are moonclip guns, no need to go to a smith as they are set up from the factory, by design, for moonclips. It is the only way to shoot the 45 ACP in a revolver. Same with the 610 and 646. The 40 S&W/10mm and 45 ACP are rimless (or maybe semi rimmed), but in either case, the moonclip keeps the round from falling straight through the cylinder.

I just looked ongunbroker.com and they had a 4" 625 PC for $865, and a new 625 for $610. I think if I were really doing it, I'd look for an older 625 or even a 25-X because I've heard that the internals (trigger and hammer parts) are better and easier to tune up. Many of the upgrades on these guns are kinda easy (spring kits, front sights, rear sights) for you to do yourself and are really inexpensive. Cylinder chamfering is best left to a smith and a mill/lathe (in my opinion).

The short answer to you 2nd question - no, use the $$$ difference between the PC and non-PC gun and buy ammo, holsters, moonclips and a belt and get to practicing. Wait, is that allowed in IDPA? :ph34r: Just kidding, best of luck.

Thanks for all the feed back, I guess no one is selling a 9mm wheel gun?

If you're talking about 9mmP = 9x19mm, I don't think anyone makes them currently other than the Ruger SP101, but it's a snubby 5-shot gun.

S&W used to make the 940, a 9mmP J-frame 5-shot.

Ruger also used to make a 9mm six shooter with moonclips, but there are hard to find and in some circles considered the holy grail for IDPA revolver. I'm not sure if it was a GP100 or the earlier Speed Six/Security Six.

If you want 9mm-ish, as jkelly mentioned, S&W is now marketing a 686 in .38 super that used moonclips.

Tom:

I heard you are doing really well with your wheelgun. I need to get to Colorado more often. I only made it there once last summer, for a steel match in Weld County. There are some really good revolver shooters in your neck of the woods. I got to watch Bud Bond shoot Outer Limits. Wow, he is impressive with that Open revolver.