Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1187 Issue

prreed10

I worked up a 1187 to be my 3 Gun shotgun. I added a Dave's eazyloader and it loads and releases fine. I ran several shells through it today and noticed that it is not locking the bolt back on the last round. When I hand cycle the action it locks back. Is it something I messed up installing the easyloader or could it be the shells not strong enough to lock it back?

Edited by prreed10

If you used 2 3/4 dram loads it might be the load, if they were 3 dram then it might be the gun and if they were reduced recoil slugs almost absolutely the load. I put mine on an old 1100 and had to open the gas port, with the larger twin ports in an 11-87 it should not be a problem. You could try what I did and polish the mag tube with crocus cloth and install a new o-ring. I got my o-rings from Eric Wesselman.

Is the empty out of the gun? If so, you probably have the EZ Loader tuned to release too easily --- so what happens is that you fire, the empty gets extracted and then the force of recoil moves the EZ Loader enough to close the action again.....

You can file on the EZ Loader tab that closes the action --- but go slow, because if you take too much off, it'll never close the action. I've had one at the point where it was like shooting a bolt gun during a 3-gun match. Took me about six months to sort that out......

Some folks also cut back the forks on the EZ Loader --- the idea being that less reciprocating mass will cause it to bounce less during recoil.....

I'd open gas holes as a very last resort --- if the gun ran fine prior to the EZ Loader install. No sense in fussing with something that's not connected. I run my mag tube clean, lightly lubricated with Mobil 1, with a fresh O-ring installed. The oil makes it very easy to clean -- just wipe it down with a rag....

Also make sure that your mag spring is fresh. Kicking that shell out forcefully is also part of the process. Found that one out the hard way. Just a simple little inexpensive fix. Funny how murphy's law can do that. You put in part A, and part T starts messing up, that has nothing to do with part A. You just know that the whole problem is with the new part and it's relative action, but the whole time it is some thing way over there that doesn't even have to do with the new part. This may not happen to others, but it seems to haunt me.

The EZ Loader is most likely the culprit. This slow motion video shows how much it bounces about in recoil. Make sure it only trips the bolt in its last 1/8" of travel. As mentioned above, shortening the forks of the EZ Loader can reduce its moment of inertia and eliminate this phenomenon.

Thanks guys. I will try the least invasive first - lubing and polishing the mag tube and popping on a new o ring.. I got a pack of o-rings last time I got grips from Eric. I can't remember if I put a new one on. I already opened up one of the gas ports when I first got the gun, trying to get a load it liked.

I agree with Nik. I just fixed my friends 1100 with the same problem. He installed the easy loader without trimming the tab that controls the sensitivity so the bolt closed (even when empty) with the jolt of the recoil.

Edited by ERIC

Or you could dump that POS and get a Benelli!!!!!

Maybe STI guy, he can't afford a, in my opinion, an overrated and very expensive Benelli.

They all malfunction from time to time.

If it has not already, yours will too, then maybe someone will say to you, trade that POS.

Open the ports, tune the loader, double the O-rings, lube the tube and run a light mag spring, 7 round for an 8. You don't want to have to force shells in. you do need to set it up so it will cycle OFF your shoulder. If the gun won't run just holding it, you still have work to do.

We tend to mostly run the lightest loads we can so that we don't beat ourselves up. The gun still runs heavier loads, but there is a bit more 'push' to it and it is a bit rough on the o rings and the piston.

Just my opinion of course.

Open the ports, tune the loader, double the O-rings, lube the tube and run a light mag spring, 7 round for an 8. You don't want to have to force shells in. you do need to set it up so it will cycle OFF your shoulder. If the gun won't run just holding it, you still have work to do.

We tend to mostly run the lightest loads we can so that we don't beat ourselves up. The gun still runs heavier loads, but there is a bit more 'push' to it and it is a bit rough on the o rings and the piston.

Just my opinion of course.

Well said Jim.

I took it apart today - doubled the O-rings and lubed the mag tube with motor oil after I cleaned and polished it. I took a look at the easy loader and I have not removed any metal from the tab that activates the bolt. When I get some time, I will remove a little material. The mag spring I am running is the one that came with the Nordic tube, trimmed per their instructions.

As far as the Remington, I only shoot 3 gun 3 or 4 times a year - there are not many matches in my area. I came back from the LaRue match earlier this year and decided to get something besides a pump. A friend happened to have this for sale. I could have dropped $1500 on a shotgun, but I decided to spend $500 + plus a little on mods, and see where it leads.

Edited by prreed10

• 3 weeks later...

To echo the others.... If it was locking back prior to the EZ loader install then it's the EZ loader bouncing on recoil and closing the bolt. I have this problem currently but haven't gotten upset enough to try and fix it. I just try to shoot my stages so I don't go empty :devil: At this point it loads shells perfectly and I'd rather have it fail to lock back on empty but otherwise work 100% than lower the reliability. Maybe I'll mess w/ it after Benning.

I have an 1100 Tactical and have done nothing to it except a Nordic tube and EZ loader. I'm running stock gas ports, stock action spring, stock o-ring, etc. I shoot Federal 2 3/4 7.5 shot and Fed reduced recoil slugs. I do clean and oil it every time I shoot it (Since it's a direct gas system I treat it like my AR) and have never had the inclination to open up gas ports or do anything else to "improve" its operation. The EZ Loader is to help me get the shells into the gun faster.

Edited by grywlfbg

I shot it in our 3 gun match last weekend. It gave me trouble on 2 stages which forced me to leave half of the shotgun targets on each stage unengaged. :angry2: Killed my score. Trouble was the interceptor - something is causing it to stick while shooting and not allow you to load shells into the magazine tube. When loading, the shell would get about 1/2 way in the tube and stop. The gun was dead. I had to pull the trigger assembly and reinstall it. The shell would have a big drag mark from the interceptor. It is now at a local smith for him to figure out what is causing that, and adjust the easy loader.

Edited by prreed10

I shot it in our 3 gun match last weekend. It gave me trouble on 2 stages which forced me to leave half of the shotgun targets on each stage unengaged. :angry2: Killed my score. Trouble was the interceptor - something is causing it to stick while shooting and not allow you to load shells into the magazine tube. When loading, the shell would get about 1/2 way in the tube and stop. The gun was dead. I had to pull the trigger assembly and reinstall it. The shell would have a big drag mark from the interceptor. It is now at a local smith for him to figure out what is causing that, and adjust the easy loader.

Are you running it dry, and dropping the hammer before reloading? Easy to do if it doesn't lock back. You can't load the mag tube if the hammer is down. Nothing wrong there, all 1100's are the same.

As mentioned above, the difficulty getting the shells into the mag tube could be because the hammer was not cocked. As for the shells not feeding out of the mag tube, did it look like this ? :

11-87DeathJam1.jpg

If so, inspect your carrier for damage as shown in the photos below:

ShellLifter1.jpg

ShellLifter2.jpg

ShellLifter3.jpg

Honestly, I can't remember if I dropped the hammer or not. I could very well have. That would be a simple fix.

My loading issue did not look like the pics. Mine was bolt down - the problem was inserting shells by hand into the tube. The first shell would get stuck about halfway in the tube.

The only things to cause the interceptor to get in the way is if you pulled the trigger on the empty/closed bolt or the latch is binding. Pull out the trigger assembly and work the interceptor by hand and see if it moves freely. The trigger thing is easy to check.

The only things to cause the interceptor to get in the way is if you pulled the trigger on the empty/closed bolt or the latch is binding. Pull out the trigger assembly and work the interceptor by hand and see if it moves freely. The trigger thing is easy to check.

I am really starting to think this is the issue. I looked over all of the internals and everything moved freely and looked ok.

Or you could dump that POS and get a Benelli!!!!!

Maybe STI guy, he can't afford a, in my opinion, an overrated and very expensive Benelli.

They all malfunction from time to time.

If it has not already, yours will too, then maybe someone will say to you, trade that POS.

Already looking for a SAIGA...so I can spend an inordinate amount of time and money to get that POS Russian crap to function....LMFAO!

Edited by STIGUY

Is the empty out of the gun? If so, you probably have the EZ Loader tuned to release too easily --- so what happens is that you fire, the empty gets extracted and then the force of recoil moves the EZ Loader enough to close the action again.....

That was definitely the issue on mine. I found that with the bolt locked open if I bounced the butt of the gun on the floor it would close the bolt. Same thing happened while shooting on the last round.

• 1 month later...

Well, after much work, I think I have discovered the problem. A local gunsmith took a look and he adjusted the Dave's Eazyloader some to not trip so easily, but it came down to the shells. While the shells I was using were strong enough to cycle the bolt, they were not strong enough to lock the bolt back on the last round. A piece of tape over the charging handle slot showed it was not coming back far enough to hold open. This would lead to "click", pulling the trigger on an empty chamber and then not being able to load into the tube with the hammer down. Since then, I purchased one of the Remington Activator Seals. I went to the range yesterday. Ran about 25 shells - 5 different types, factory and reloads, high and low power. It locked the bolt back last round on every type of shell, even the cheap Walmart Federal.

Now I notice that shells are a little hard to load. They feel like they are dragging on the eazyloader. Is this normal?