Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hotels

Ok so some of you guys do some serious travelling i would assume.

Are you actually able to get a motel/hotel (whatever) for LESS than $50 per night? Sleeping in my car (cant stretch out in it) really does not provide optimum sleep quality. i need to have somewhere to actually sleep in a bed. I look at a bunch of these hotels on google maps and i see "quality" this and "fancy" that and "1 night? that will be $120." Im not Mr. Moneybagz to buy a fancy plush hotel that serves "continental breakfast" that i DONT eat because i bring my own food with me ffs.

any info appreciated.

I used to travel 4-5 days every month up until last year. I used Priceline and got some great deals on nice motels/hotels. Maybe not under $50 but in the 60's. You can find the motels under $50 but they are not going to be in a good part of townfor the most part. Also try hotels.com.

Edited by The_Vigilante

travelocity is great, last minute deals, or it'll search pretty much all hotels, I am going to St Croix for thanksgiving, 3 nights 4 days right in town on the beach including roundtrip plane $532 total

Seems like the going rate for a clean, comfortable hotel in a safe neighborhood is ~ $100/night.

Prebooking, and being willing to book in the suburbs/surrounding area can have a major impact on price. I'm often willing to drive 30-40 minutes to the range in the morning in order to drop the price. I also try hard to stick to one or two chains, and to enroll in their "member retention/benefit" program. Spend enough nights in hotels over the years and you can accumulate enough points for several free nights....

In fact, I burned my last points earlier this year, points that I accumulated while traveling to matches from 2001-6. (Used some of them over the years too --- but it was a pleasant surprise to discover I had some leftover when planning that last vacation.)

Yeah, the $99 a night price sucks. Some of the reasons I return to ranges/matches is due to low hotel costs. There is a Hotel in Manchester, TN that is $45 a night. It's not the hilton, but it's clean and the beds are actually comfortable(to me). Lately I have been looking at the KOA's (campgrounds) because they have Log cabins that usually have 3 beds a bathroom and a small "kitchen" area (no stove, but fridge, and sink) for $60 a night. Even if you have to drive 30 minutes thats still rather cheap compared to most places.

I have started looking for a Pop-up or travel trailer though, so I can bring the Dog with me. The one draw back I have now is I have to find someone to take care of the dog, or kennel him (=$). Having the ability to bring him with me, and sleep in my own bed so to speak would be a huge plus.

I have NOT had alot of luck with $50-$60 Hotel rooms. And The $100 to $150 Hotel rooms.After 60 or so nights in a Hotel room this year, they all SUCK!!!!!!

what exactly do you want out of a hotel room?

I spend 100+ nights a year in hotels. I now am under another's employment so the budget is not as tight as it was when I was self employed.

When I did pay all the bills out of my pocket I always stopped at highway rest stops and picked up the hotel cupon magazines, some real bargains could be found

I spend nearly 100 nights a year in hotels.

(I'm at the Holiday Inn, North Vancouver, BC right now)

I've moved up from my truck, to Motel 6, to Redroof, to LaQuinta, to Holiday Inn Express, to well you get the picture.

Its difficult to find clean and safe under $100, but sometimes one or 2 notches above Motel 6 works out ok.

If you travel a lot, find the chain(s) you like and stick with them, take advantage of their frequent traveller programs, and rack up those points and miles etc.

I allways look for Super 8 level motels and then ask for the commercial rate, they usually knock 10-20% off the bill.

how do you ask for commercial rate i dont get it

Most major hotels actually have several rates they charge for the same room, depending on the customer's membership in AAA, AARP, the hotel chain's own customer program or commercial rates --- which are typically offered to companies who book a lot of hotel room nights for their employees traveling on business. Sometimes you can negotiate a better rate by calling the property direct, sometimes you can get a better rate by booking online or talking to the folks at the 800 number.

I usually call the property not only to get a rate quote but to find out if my travel dates coincide with a busy weekend in town --- i.e. graduation from the local college/university, some local festival, major football game, auto race, etc. That will usually drive up prices --- and I may need to consider staying somewhere else. When driving to Tulsa in 2006, we found that we got better rates outside the major cities....

Also do a bit of learning about the local taxes that will be applied to your room cost. A lot of times those $50/night rooms run another $20 or more in taxes and fees.

I learned the hard way once that the $12 a day "resort fee" was charged to me because I used my room key to cut through the pool area to get to the coffee shop/bar rather than walk an extra 100 yards. I never so much as dipped a toe in the pool or got a massage or used the sauna but I couldn't prove it so ate an extra $48.

Big cities tend to finance big projects on these taxes (Seattle got SafeCo and Seahawks stadiums built on a special room tax) and you can easily turn a $100/night room in Seattle (if you can find one) into a $150/night room just in taxes.

I've had bad luck in Motel 6 and Super 8 with finding things in the room I wish I hadn't found (bongs, crack pipes, bags of dope, etc.) so I tend to avoid those. I like Holiday Inn Express at the moment although their breakfasts are terrible.

MOTEL 6 only 39.95

+1 Never had a problem with Motel 6. Hell, most I've stayed at have free wi-fi too. Might not be the Hilton as someone said, but for a one-nighter it doesn't have to be much.

There are some sites online that list "online coupon/promo codes" that can help drop the prices too. I usually try to find a code for AARP or AAA (10-20% off) and book online. :ph34r: Never been asked about it at check-in yet.

years of thinking I was stronger than I auctually was and not thinking I am younger than I really am have left my back in pain.

I have found an extra $20 or so for a quality room ( Hampton or Holiday Inn express) is money well spent.

Cheep hotels usually have cheep worn out beds

I allways look for Super 8 level motels and then ask for the commercial rate, they usually knock 10-20% off the bill.

how do you ask for commercial rate i dont get it

Just tell them you are working in the area, ask for the commercial rate, they know people that are traveling for work get up early and are out of the room early, they can clean those rooms first. If you are there for a shooting event they won't know the difference because you are still getting up and out early. I allways ask for it and usually get the better rate.

I've had good luck with Microtel; pretty darn cheap, extremely clean, and usually extremely convenient to the airport.

Ditto on what somebody else said about joining the clubs where you accumulate points.

Consider this, however....

An out of town major match can easily cost $1000 with airfare, rental car, match fee, etc. For an extra...8% or so you can ensure that the "investment" you made in the match won't be wasted. Sometimes by staying in a crappy, noisy motel I negatively affected my match performance.

I "saved" $20 a night.....or did I waste the $1000 the match cost me?

FY42385

I have had great luck with Motel 6 through the years. They are reasonably clean, have decent showers and are cheaper than any other major chains that I have seen. Americana and American Inn tend to appeal to truckers, so they cheap and close to the highway. Keep a look out for hotels that are close to Truck Stops, as they usually have cheap rates to lure truckers out of sleeping in the cabs and paying $6 for a shower in the truckstop.