Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best gaming opportunities you've seen on a stage?

askomiko

Or worst, depending on how you look at them. :rolleyes:

Well, this is not from IPSC match, but it has to be the best I've heard:

A stage where the competitor was supposed to carry two big wooden ammo boxes from A to B, which was through a labyrinth, while shooting, like stages usually are. Well, the Ultimate Gaming version was to put the boxes together, jump on them and shoot over the stage prop walls, therefore shooting everything from just that one spot. And changing the stage from something like a 25 second stage to a 8 sec stage...

Edited by askomiko

Well,

I set up a stage that had wide transitions with targets set up between barrels as you moved forward. Thing was I set the targets up past the barrels on each side. An A class shooter saw that you could essentially stand on the start line and shoot down the edge of the course and get all the targets and then stand in the middle and hit those I placed at the end with similar time difference as your OP.

I just smiled and chalked it up to living and learning. Stuff like this just cracks me up.

A stage where the competitor was supposed to carry two big wooden ammo boxes from A to B, which was through a labyrinth, while shooting, like stages usually are. Well, the Ultimate Gaming version was to put the boxes together, jump on them and shoot over the stage prop walls, therefore shooting everything from just that one spot. And changing the stage from something like a 25 second stage to a 8 sec stage...

Good thinking outside the box, if you ask me. But .............. I thought the rules said props such as walls went from the ground to infinity .... or does that have to be written into the walk-thru? :unsure:

Good thinking outside the box, if you ask me. But .............. I thought the rules said props such as walls went from the ground to infinity .... or does that have to be written into the walk-thru? :unsure:

This was from a Finnish reservist 3gun, which has a lot thinner rulebook than IPSC. And the phrase "these walls continue to infinity" got popular after that. :)

I think that you have to say the walls go to the ground and up to infinity now in USPSA.

OK, one of my first stage designs. "It's A Ringer" On start, shooter was supposed to pick up a horseshoe any carry it throughout the COF. I didn't stipulate that it had to be carried in the weak hand. So while walking to my squads next course, I pass by the one I designed. Sure enough, I watched people hook it to their mag pouches in order to shoot freestyle. WTF! My intention was to have it carried, so the COF had to be shot strong hand.

I threw a fit with the RO running the stage, and she gently pointed out to me that it said nothing about carry position in the WSB.

Lesson learned. A lot of yuks from the squad as I walked away.

I have since changed it to read; horseshoe must be carried in weak hand only, unsupported, in a natural carry position. Horseshoe may be placed on barrel only while reloading.

If you don't spell it out exactly, it will be gamed. :roflol:

I think that you have to say the walls go to the ground and up to infinity now in USPSA.

2.2.3.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such

barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be

considered to go from the ground to the height as constructed.

As a 6'4" guy, this is one of my favorite rules. :cheers:

I didn't realize this. At all of the local matches people keep saying that walls go both down and up to infinity but I am yet to see that written on the WSB........ I will have to keep this in mind the next time I go to a match. I am pretty tall and can shoot over some shorter walls but never did because there would always be someone saying "Walls go up to infinity".

I didn't realize this. At all of the local matches people keep saying that walls go both down and up to infinity but I am yet to see that written on the WSB........ I will have to keep this in mind the next time I go to a match. I am pretty tall and can shoot over some shorter walls but never did because there would always be someone saying "Walls go up to infinity".

It's good to know the rules. ;)

Oh, in one match I was in, a 6 foot 9" guy shot over prop walls, with a rifle. It was funny in the walkthrough: "Can I shoot over this wall?" ...."well.... I guess you can!" That didn't help too much on that stage, but it was cool. :)