Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

updating reloading equipment

G+16

Getting ready to sell my dillon square deal (a great reloader) so I can reload rifle shells as well as pistol, question? Should I invest in a dillon 550B, as stated a great reloader, or I have the option of securing a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive reloader, I know dillon for quality and no b.s. warrenty but with the cost of changing loads (from pistol to each rifle shell I would be loading) would the lee be a better idea? I know people that reload with both and both say the one they use is best. Some of them use the dillon with other dies, I would like to hear opions on this matter because money do matter these days,

Getting ready to sell my dillon square deal (a great reloader) so I can reload rifle shells as well as pistol, question? Should I invest in a dillon 550B, as stated a great reloader, or I have the option of securing a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive reloader, I know dillon for quality and no b.s. warrenty but with the cost of changing loads (from pistol to each rifle shell I would be loading) would the lee be a better idea? I know people that reload with both and both say the one they use is best. Some of them use the dillon with other dies, I would like to hear opions on this matter because money do matter these days,

Dillon will prove better and easier in the long run. I have both, a 550B and a Lee Pro. Although the Dillion is more expensive and changing dies with a second tool head is expensive it is so worth. When you consider the set-up time and the waste of time adjusting, tuning primer feed and materials getting a Lee to run right, the ease of a Dillon pays for itself. Also, Dillon will always hold a better residual value. Bottom line: if it is quick, easy and dependable you will get more utilization out of it. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't reload rifle so I'm unsure if you need a 3 or 4 station press. If you only need a 3 station press for rifle, then you could consider keeping the square deal for pistol and getting the Lee Pro for rifle.

If you want to reload everything on a single press, then I would consider going for a 4 station press.

I started on a Lee press. Loaded rifle and pistol. Then bought a Dillon. What a difference. Now it's Dillon for everything. I still have the Lees but only occasionally use them for some single stage work. I can't see myself loading on a Lee again.

I have the Lee Pro 100 and the Lee Loadmaster.

The Loadmaster is a much better press in my opinion. I load .40 and .223 About the only problem I run into is primers flipping ocassionally, which can be caused by the press moving around to much.

For the money, there is nothing wrong with a Lee

Years ago I had a Pro 1000 and had MAJOR problems with the primer feed. They may have made improvements, or I could have had a lemon. On the other hand, I've had very few problems with Dillon.

Good Luck!

Years ago I had a Pro 1000 and had MAJOR problems with the primer feed. They may have made improvements, or I could have had a lemon. On the other hand, I've had very few problems with Dillon.

Good Luck!

I have a buddy that loads exclusively on Lee progressives. Last weekend he had primer feed problems at 25 minutes/ repair. In his words, he would much rather have the dillons, and if he ever finds a deal on one he will definately snatch it up. He has the Lee loaders for now, but would prefer the dillons.

Randy

As you ponder your next reloader consider the fact that Dillon equipment has great resale value. Yeah I know, your'e never going to give up shooting but what if you decide to upgrade some day to a 650 or 1050. You won't have any trouble selling a 550. Don't know if you can say that about the other brands. I'm not saying you will as all I've ever owned is Dillon equipment. Don't forget Dillon's no BS warrenty on their machines. I can attest to the fact that it is truly a NO BS warrenty. If you decide to go with Dillon don't forget that our host, Brian Enos, sells Dillon equipment. Great guy to deal with!

CYa,

Pat

Keep the SDB for the pistol and get a lee turret for the rifle if cost is a serious factor. After having a progressive that index's, I would never go to a none indexing press. If I were in your shoes, I would save for a 650 or go the lee turret plus SDB route.

As you ponder your next reloader consider the fact that Dillon equipment has great resale value. Yeah I know, your'e never going to give up shooting but what if you decide to upgrade some day to a 650 or 1050. You won't have any trouble selling a 550. Don't know if you can say that about the other brands. I'm not saying you will as all I've ever owned is Dillon equipment. Don't forget Dillon's no BS warrenty on their machines. I can attest to the fact that it is truly a NO BS warrenty. If you decide to go with Dillon don't forget that our host, Brian Enos, sells Dillon equipment. Great guy to deal with!

CYa,

Pat

I just sold my 20plus year old 550 for 80% of the current price which was probably more than I paid for it. Try that with a Lee. And do deal with Brian, I believe he has some shipping deals that will save you some money.

I have a Dillon 550 for 18 years and it has been great.

I load from 380 auto to 338 Lapua with it :roflol:

I wish I had a 650 or a 1050 but I love my Dillon and the customer service.

I never used a Lee loader but I have used Lee Dies and didn’t like the O-Ring and Aluminum parts :surprise:

Worth considering:

Dillon will rebuild any press other than the 1050 for free.

Lee will rebuild any press for 50% of retail. This means they get at least as much doing this service as they do when selling a press new, as the going rate at discount mail order houses is about 40% off of retail for Lee presses.

I got out of shooting for a while, sold my 550. When I got back in, I originally bought a Pro 1000 for the cost. What a headache! When I could I upgraded to a 550 again, and now have 2( tried a 650 for a while, too much trouble with the primer system when switching calibers). I sold the Lee and all I had for it for $50 and thought I was lucky to get that.

I have several Lee 1000's. They work OK and realize the Dillons are smoother, have more resale value and will probably outlast the Lee. The Lee loaders have their good points but the strongest point would be that they are affordable and cost effective enough to have a dedicated loader for each round. No need to switch dies or do any adjustments, just switch loaders. The Lee also has a great shell feeder (especially for 9mm or 45acp), but the bullet feeder is a waste of time. Just my opinion...

Edited by kamikaze1a