Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average Shooting Distance

I have never been to a club where the average distance is 10-15 yards, the targets on average are closer than than. For the average paper target to be 10-15 yards, the majority of paper would be at or beyond the minimum distance for steel. It's probably safe to guess the average distance to a popper will be 10-15 so take a look around and can you honestly say the average distance to paper is that far or more? Not around here.

"Stalion that explains a lot of your smokin' times "

I walked right into that one didn't I. :P

IDPA is terrible around here...there is rarely a match where there is a target beyond 10 yards.

IPSC is a bit better, there are usually a few courses with 20 yards or longer shots in it. But the average is still around 10. :angry::(<_<

Kinda hard to stick an average on to Steve's stages. There is usaully a good mix.

Steve took over the match when Jeff Maass handed it down. Jeff wasn't afraid to challenge the shooter with accurate shots. Steve has carried that tradition on.

I wish Flex and Steve would move out here and take over course design.

I have broken out the black paint, 8 inch plates, and no-shoots to make some fairly challenging stages. Near, far, high, low, hardcover and no-shoots all in the same COF. It's a lot of work but worthwhile. Funny thing is, most guys shoot more points on those courses than they do on the high round count hose mode stuff.

Hmm.. one local club that was famous for challenging shots and stages has recently backed off that and started putting on simpler, easier stages. Reason? A- They weren't getting the attendance they wanted and interviews with shooters highlighted 'difficult stages' as one reason they weren't coming and B- It took them forever to set up those stages.

Their previous stages had creative start positions and were mostly stages you could have dropped into an area match as-is, but five of them in a one-day match was driving people away, go figure.

I have never been to a club where the average distance is 10-15 yards, the targets on average are closer than than. For the average paper target to be 10-15 yards, the majority of paper would be at or beyond the minimum distance for steel. It's probably safe to guess the average distance to a popper will be 10-15 so take a look around and can you honestly say the average distance to paper is that far or more? Not around here.

BTW our course deisners shoot Open mostly. That might be part of the reason are targets are further away than some clubs, lots of room to shoot too. We commonly shoot 10" steel plates at 15-20 yards, and yes that is hard on the newbies, but it makes the major matches seem easier.

The only criticism we had of our 3-gun match last March was that a couple of the stages were "too hard." One of the people who made the comment was an M-class open shooter (who recently won the WC3-gun ;) ), specifically about a couple of pistol stages I designed with some fine tuning by the rest of the crew.

The targets were only about 12-15 yards away, but the only scoring area available on each target was the lower A zone. The rest was "hard cover." Plus there were no shoots and a couple were turned on their sides.

And one of the stages was Virginia Count.

But the only reason it was "hard" was because people refused to slow down and pay attention to the fundamentals of marksmanship. <_< I do not feel guilty! Well, I do because I had a miss on a target or two, but that's my own burden to bear.

I agree that people are getting a little spoiled by shooting matches with only close, wide open targets. It's like they don't know how to shift gears anymore. I prefer matches (and even stages) that force you to shift gears as many times as possible. Variety is good!

BTW our course deisners shoot Open mostly. That might be part of the reason are targets are further away than some clubs, lots of room to shoot too. We commonly shoot 10" steel plates at 15-20 yards, and yes that is hard on the newbies, but it makes the major matches seem easier.

I used to think that... before Area 2. We were a bunch of experienced shooters that were used to mostly harder shots and lower HF stages and thus got hosed because we didn't have enough run-n-gun experience on wide open targets to get our gears just right.

Tricky and hard is good, but there must be balance in all things, or you're only going to be a local hotshot.

Some guy with the initials 'BE' makes this point on Page 161.. ;)

Creative stages really make up good freestyle shooting, as it makes the shooter think on how he approaches the stage. If you took 5 shooters, got them to evaluate a stage, they all come back with 5 different ways to shoot it, you know its got to be good because the diversity is obviously there if there are are different 'routes' if you wish, to go. Average diatance here I would say is 7-10m on average with 15-20m targets mixed in with the close ones. Steel- generally 12-15m, poppers out to 20-25m.

IMHO it takes having a few targets (at least) at 15 yards and beyond to see who shoots with good fundamentals on each shot. Shooting correctly takes no more time than shooting sloppy, but the skill to do that shows up (in match results) when there's something beyond 15yds.

You're likely to see quite a few 15yard targets at Area & Natl matches - I recommend practice on that a lot. Might not see it in every local match though...

We have at most 27 yards to work with indoors (www.shootersparadise.com). That did not stop me from doing a stage w/ a 25 yard target (T1 at 10yards T2 at 15yards T3 at 25yards - shot just like El Prez). I also appreciated one local club (Fredericksburg VA) putting a target out at 40 yards some time ago; it was wide open - the only thing that "caused" a shooter to throw a mike was poor marksmanship (PC version: "markspersonship").

D. Johnson

(PC version: D. Johnoffspring)

At our local matches average 15 to 20 yards on paper and steel. We never see paper closer than 10 yards unless it's a classifier. At last Sunday's match the only paper at 10 yards was an array of hostage targets you had to shoot through strong handed to 15 yard paper targets while seated. We frequently see 25 to 35 yard targets. over 50% of the shots are on steel. The other really fun thing is a lot of the steel we shoot at is 4"-6" steel plates because the club gets them for next to nothing.

We get 50 yard steel too.

The match director is very accuracy oriented and shoots minor with an open gun. We have a lot of people that show up for one match never to return... well they show up for the IDPA match.

We have a lot of people that show up for one match never to return... well they show up for the IDPA match.

Hmm.. around here we'd call that a problem. New shooters are good. Why drive them away, or worse yet, to IDPA? :lol:

I've been to many Area matches and a couple Nationals and not seen more than a dozen targets that had to be shot more than 35 yards away. Occasional long targets are good, but too many and you're just learing to be slow.. :)