Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning

Mikej

You didn't mention what load you're using, as lead seems to leave more gunk behind than jacketed.

I shoot RNL using Solo 1000. I'm pleased with the load, and even shot it at the Nationals. I can get thru a 5 or 6 stage local match without brushing the cylinder, assuming I started the match with a freshly brushed gun. If I notice things getting sticky, I'll go to the safe area and run my brush thru each charge hole about five times. After that, they are spotless. I think the key to it is using a stainless steel chamber brush (tip from Carmoney). It gets EVERYTHING out, making it spotless. If you're using just a bore brush, it's probably not tight enough to really get the junk out. I have it attached to a short, stiff chamber rod which works really well. In fact, it slips inside of my homemade demooner just like a holster.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23102/P...ER_CLEANING_ROD

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1290/Pr...R_CHAMBER_BRUSH

For the residue on the front of the cylinder and inside the the frame window (breech face), I use a stainless utility brush. I don't think I've ever had to address those areas during a match, though. Be warned, the stainless brushes are aggressive. Definitively NOT for the outside surfaces of the gun, or the typical glass bead finish on a 625 which be a bright "brushed" finish when you're done. Can't speak for blued guns, but I'd be leary of using it on one.

Edited by glockwerkes

If it's a big match with many stages, I like to go to the safe area and brush the chambers with my Allison speed brush. I also brush out under the extractor once or twice during a ten stage match. I do it as a preventative. A lot depends on what powder and bullet you use.

Bob.

A16841

My 625 gets a little sticky during a match. Do you folks clean with a brush between stages?

Mike: I just finished our state match where I fired over 300 rounds without cleaning or brushing, no problems with extraction or loading. I use a 230 grain plated bullet with 4.0 grns of clays. I did give the gun a thorough cleaning prior to the match and wrapped a piece of lead away cloth on a brush then used my hand held drill to polish the chambers . For what it's worth I also polish all of my match brass before I load it, if I am using cast bullets I polish and then hand clean each one before loading them in my moon clips.

Right now I clean between each stage because I am still dialing in my boolit sizer that gets sticky lube everywhere and gums up the chambers. <_< +1 on the 230 with Clays, no brushing required till you decide to clean.

I have never cleaned at a match but A1 was the only match I have shot that was over 5 stages. I have a speed mop and brush that I always take to matches intending to use them but never have. With N320 the gun stayed clean but I shoot minor with clays now and the outside gets sooty. I was cleaning my hands with hydrogen peroxide after a match Saturday (don’t know why other then that I hate the smell of solvent) but I poured some on a rag and wiped down the gun. I don’t know what to say other then in no time and no work my 625 has not been this perdy since the early 90’s.