Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Cases

I want to get a new case for my pistols, now that I can easily lock for transporting to the ranges and back - since I don't have a trunk, but I also want it to be built to meet the airlines (NATO?) specs for checked weapons.

The only one I've seen so far are Pelicans - any other suggestions?

I'd like it to carry minimum 2 and perhaps 3 pistols.

Thanks, Dave

Doskocil has a new premium line the All Weather that is basically a pelican clone. Airtight, pressure valves etc but they cost less. I have one that has been holding up very well. It also came with perforated foam so you could easily fit the foam around a gun for a custom cradle.

http://www.gunguard.net/all_weather.html

Think about how much crap you'll be putting in it and how many airline miles will be going on it. For a heavy-duty user, coughing up the extra dough for the Pelican may be well worth it because of the lifetime warranty. Baggage monkeys have proven capable of breaking anything. They even mangaged to break the huge Pelican case I used to use as luggage in well under a year. (They probably ought to use baggage handlers to test the casks that the government ships spent nuclear fuel rods in. If anybody can find a chink in the armor - it will be a baggage monkey. )

If all you're doing is occasional flights with light loads, the Doskocil is probably fine.

Thanks for the numerous responses... I don't mind paying for quality, but I am having trouble finding sites that sell these (Brian: hint-hint :D ).

Shred: SKB?

Custom Glock Racing: Nice cases, know a retailer?

How big do most people go for? Just enough to fit the guns (in the foam), or do pack other things in this?

This is the SKB I have. It'll fit two open guns flipped nose-to-nose, though it's somewhat tight if they're full-size. It has two foam layers if you want to do one-per-layer.

Here is a picture of it with an open gun in it, also showing my trick locking-for-transport scheme that keeps the guns locked up even when the TSA guys are pawing through your stuff.

I've had decent luck getting Pelican cases from www.casesforless.com

I've got the same (?) SKB case. It's awesome, but I never use it. At the airport, it virtually advertises you've got guns, cameras, or other valuable equipment in it. I don't know if it matters any more; they are going to break into it anyway. It looks like shred disguises his within a soft bag.

I have one of those rolling soft bags that works great-- I can get all my shooting stuff into it (SKB case, belt, holster, mags, bag, ears, ammo, tools, etc) and thus only check one bag when going to weekend matches. Bonus is it looks like everybody else's luggage. With the cable-lock setup, I don't have to worry about the SKB getting loose or removed from the outer bag.

I wouldn't check the SKB case by itself-- too small and thus too easy to "lose", fling around or otherwise play baggage-football with.

If you want a case to check by itself, get a big bright yellow one. You might also stencil "EFFLUENT TEST SET" or "RECYCLER VALVE ASSEMBLY" on the side.

If you want a case to check by itself, get a big bright yellow one. You might also stencil "Effluent Test Set" or "Recycler valve assembly" on the side.

I was thinking about "Medical Waste", or the James Bond: "Human Heart".

In a solid duffle bag, or soft side luggage sounds good.

Erik - if it's in your way, I could store it for you - won't even charge you

I have the same SKB case as shred. FYI it's advertise as a 4 pistol case. I have no problem fitting 2 standard gun on each layer of foam.

shred, good idea with the extra soft bag over the case. I'll definately do that the next time I travel with mine. :)

Many airlines require that a locked pistol case be enclosed inside a regular piece of luggage, they don't want to be reponsible for one walking off as lots of airports still dont check bags leaving leaving the bag claim area.

I am having trouble finding sites that sell these (Brian: hint-hint  ).

Thanks.

On the advice of a friend, I was looking into the Pelican line, but as yet don't have anything set up. It's good stuff that I've used...

be

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a picture of it with an open gun in it, also showing my trick locking-for-transport scheme that keeps the guns locked up even when the TSA guys are pawing through your stuff.

Shred,

I have that same SKB case. I'm assuming you removed the valve assembly to thread the steel cable through, or did you just drill a hole and then make the loops?

Also, nice idea about running the cable around the handle of the "wheelie" case.

I'll be flying with my gun for the 1st time in February, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now.

Thanks.

Ray C.