Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bend in arms

RangerTrace

I noticed something tonight while dry firing with my Open Benny Gun. When I kept my arms slightly bent, like I shot my Limited gun, it seemed to result in quite a bit of dot movement on the target. I never noticed the sights moving on my Limited gun.

When I put more of a bend in my arms, the dot seemed to be a lot more stable on the target. Transitions were better too. I'm not sure how it will work in live fire, but it definately seemed to be the way to go in dry fire.

BTW, I am not new to the concept of bending your arms while shooting. However, I may not have been, bending them enough.

Most of the shooters I have seen seem to shoot about the same between LTD and Open. One thing I noticed with my Open gun is I tend to bring the gun slightly closer to pick up the dot faster.

Shawn, I thought the only thing you noticed about your open gun was the dust it is collecting. :P

Personally I notice less dot movement if I keep my elbows bent. Seems to let the recoil energy be absorbed straight back.

Edited by Neomet

My draw/reloads are faster if I bend my arms more. If I extend them more then my splits on longer targets are much shorter but I loose fine control that can affect accuracy. I'm starting to experiment with different amounts of flex/straight for different target arrays/stages. It seems to work so far but I have not had much opportunity to try it as I can only shoot once per week.

Dave Re gave me a little training on this :cheers:

Burn some ammo while trying different angles in the elbows...watch the dot

Do the same raising and lowering the elbows...again watch the dot

You will find a sweet spot :rolleyes:

Jim

That is what I thought. I just need to burn some ammo :cheers::cheers:

Dave Re gave me a little training on this :cheers:

Burn some ammo while trying different angles in the elbows...watch the dot

Do the same raising and lowering the elbows...again watch the dot

You will find a sweet spot :rolleyes:

Jim

There ye go. Experiment, and find what works best for you.

be

You don't notice the sights moving on your limited gun because the irons aren't as obvious as the dot - the movement is there. Grip/stance setup (all facets, including arm angles) will most importantly affect recoil control and the consistency of dot/sight movement in recoil. You can accept some movement of the dot/sights on target (refer to "wobble zone" - even the bullseye guys deal with it) - but a gun that moves inconsistently is not going to be shootable - and most of that is due to grip/stance... ;)

This is an interesting topic. I am fairly notorious for having a very pronounced bend in my arms. I would venture to say the bend doesn't matter so much as making sure you have good muscular-skeletal tension for returning the gun back to the target as quickly as possible.

It's very easy to get lazy - especially when shooting Open. I firmly believe this to be a major cause of all the malfunctions I've had while competing.

Did notice at the Nationals that Open shooters have more bend to their elbows than Limited/Production shooters. Open shooters also had more malfunctions but I thought it was the gun, now I can see where it might have been arm position and light recoil springs. Most of the malfs were feeding problems.

There's a greater distance between the bore and the sights with optics than there is with iron sights. So I think it's somewhat natural to bend your arms a bit more with an optic sight that you would with irons.

Some guys can shoot fairly stiff-armed with irons, and it looks okay. But a stiff-armed Open shooter just looks awkward.

be

I played with this today in practice. Running the same COF with arms bent as opposed to fully extended showed promising results. The pairs of shots shooting with relaxed arms were almost always 1-2 inches whereas with arms locked they were running 3-5 inches. Trick of the day?? Don't know yet, but it did feel fairly comfortable and I can see where it might relieve tension thereby allowing unrestricted trigger manipulation.