Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best barrel

Northern Xtreme

I want to get a rifled barrel to shoot cast bullets out of my Glock 34. ( Yeah I know some of you use your stock barrel)

I never have a problem shooting my reloads with jacketed bullets out of the stock barrel, they go into the chamber fine, but I have had problems in the past with a G34 KKM barrel even though I used a tighter sizing die.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which barrel is going to have a chamber closer to the stock barrel dimensions, KKM, Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, ???

I really want to shoot cast because it is alot cheaper. I just wish I could find a barrel with a chamber that eats my reloads as well as the stock one.

Has anyone out there ever had the chamber reamed out on a KKM, etc?

I want to get a rifled barrel to shoot cast bullets out of my Glock 34. ( Yeah I know some of you use your stock barrel)

I never have a problem shooting my reloads with jacketed bullets out of the stock barrel, they go into the chamber fine, but I have had problems in the past with a G34 KKM barrel even though I used a tighter sizing die.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which barrel is going to have a chamber closer to the stock barrel dimensions, KKM, Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, ???

I really want to shoot cast because it is alot cheaper. I just wish I could find a barrel with a chamber that eats my reloads as well as the stock one.

Lone Wolf will ream the chamber looser if you request it. I use a Bar-Sto in my USPSA Limited G35 and have never had any issues at all. I have Lone Wolf and a Wilson for my G22s. The KKMs I did have problems chambering reloads so I sold it.

My drop-in Storm Lake barrel has proven to be both reliable and accurate in my G34. I'm shooting mostly hard-cast lead bullets and load with Dillon dies. I haven't noticed any significant leading either.

Lone Wolf will ream the chamber looser if you request it. I use a Bar-Sto in my USPSA Limited G35 and have never had any issues at all. I have Lone Wolf and a Wilson for my G22s. The KKMs I did have problems chambering reloads so I sold it.

KKM barrels do come with tighter chamber dimensions, as do BarSto barrels. Both are on the minimum side of the allowable chamber dimension tolerances in my experience. My gunsmith told me KKM has some of the tightest chambers and bores he has seen. You can always have a competent gunsmith ream the chamber slightly to open it up a bit. I understand it is a fairly straight forward operation for someone who knows what they are doing. I know a local Master class shooter who did just that with a BarSto barrel in his G17 to improve feeding and reliability, and I had my gunsmith do it with a BarSto G34 9mm barrel and it shoots reloads just fine. I also have a stock KKM drop-in barrel in a G17 that does just fine with my reloads for production as it came from KKM.

I put a Lone Wolf barrel in my G34 several months ago. I immedaitely began to have problems with my handloads. Even the rounds that passed a Dillon case gage would not reliably chamber. Lone Wolf indicated that they would open up the chamber if I returned the barrel. I had a match coming up so coud not return the barrel at that time. I changed from a Dillon sizing die to a Lee sizing die and the problems went away. I use the Lee die and the barrel as a case gage and the gun runs 100% with either jacketed or lead.

Here is a reply from KKM to a message I sent to their support asking if they could open up the chamber dimensions on a barrel.

"If you start with NEW brass there will not be problems with chambering. You should see between 20-25 reloads with this brass. Any brass that has been shot in a Factory Glock barrel should not be reloaded. This is how people blow up their guns by using brass that has been shot in Factory barrels.

Kevin"

Sounds reasonable, maybe I will get some new brass and try it with a stock KKM barrel.

I thought that the tone of his answer was kind of aggitated by my question.

I got a more civil response with the same question from Storm Lake.

"All of our chambering for Glock barrels is per SAAMI specification. If your reloads are within SAAMI specification for 9mm luger, they should feed reliably in a Storm Lake Barrel. If you have feeding issues, we will be happy to adjust the chamber to fit your reloads provided the depth does not exceed SAAMI specification.

Regards,

David

Storm Lake Barrels support"

I've shot 10's of thousands of (jacketed) rounds through KKM's 40 barrel that I have in my G35. Hardly any of it with new brass.

I run a Lee 4-die set (which includes their Factory Crimp Die).

I think there are a lot of variables to consider when talking about the chamber of barrels. You have...at least...the ramp, chamber diameter, chamber length, and leade (into) the rifling.

I've shot 10's of thousands of (jacketed) rounds through KKM's 40 barrel that I have in my G35. Hardly any of it with new brass.

I run a Lee 4-die set (which includes their Factory Crimp Die).

I think there are a lot of variables to consider when talking about the chamber of barrels. You have...at least...the ramp, chamber diameter, chamber length, and leade (into) the rifling.

It does seem to be the Glock bulge that is causing the problems, it is hard to resize the case all the way down to the rim because of the shell plate.

It does make sense that as long as you keep shooting it out of the KKM barrel you probably wont get the Glock bulge.

Overall length is not the problem and remember I am talking about ammo that will chamber fine in the stock barrel but not in the aftermarket barrel.

That is why I wanted the chamber to be the same and I know it will work fine.

Edited by Northern Xtreme

If you have a tight chamber a Lee sizing die or undersize sizing die should get more than enough of the case resized that it should chamber just fine.

If I remember correctly I thought someone said the Dillon case gauges were on the generous side compared with others.

Lead bulllets didnt make the brass bulge.

If the brass has a "Glock" bulge near the extractor rim end, it is hard to resize it because the shell plate on my press only allows me to go so far before it hits.

But if you started with brass that didnt have that bulge, and then you shot it from a tighter chamber (KKM) with better support on the case, then I guess it would never get the bulge and reloads should chamber OK.

I have used the undersized dies and my loaded cases look like hourglass shaped because the middle is smaller than the end with a crimped bullet in it, and the end with the rim isnt resized all the way down so that wider also.

I am not a reloading novice, I have loaded over 150,000 on my Dillon 550 which I have owned since 1988 or so.

I dont think its anything obvious that I am doing wrong.

If you are loading brass previously fired in stock Glock barrels and firing them in KKM barrels you must have undersized dies, or somehow you are getting the case farther into the resize die than I have been able to.

At least in 40, maybe 9mm isnt as much of a problem, I hope not.

I think I will order a KKM and try it with new brass.

I am not a reloading novice, I have loaded over 150,000 on my Dillon 550 which I have owned since 1988 or so.

Well, that's a pretty good start you have going! ;)

If you are loading brass previously fired in stock Glock barrels and firing them in KKM barrels you must have undersized dies, or somehow you are getting the case farther into the resize die than I have been able to.

At least in 40, maybe 9mm isnt as much of a problem, I hope not.

I think I will order a KKM and try it with new brass.

All of my .40 once-fired and most of my 9 once-fired comes out of Glocks. For the .40 I just run them through a U-die on a turret press the first time through. After that they're loaded with Dillon dies (in .40) and they work pefectly in very tight match chambers. I did turn down a shell holder for the turret press so I could get more of the case resized, but they worked perfectly in several match chambers before I shortened up the shell holder...more just to see how much more it would resize than anything else.

Even if you take a brand new case, shoot it through a KKM barreled gun, resize it with a U-die and load it with any bullet it's going to have the same bottle neck shape....it's actually a sign of a good thing because you know you won't get bullet setback that way and it shouldn't cause any problems feeding/chambering.

Glock 9mm chambers are (percentage wise) tighter than .40 chambers because it's a tapered round and the chamber mouth is already oversized in comparison to the case mouth size...so they don't have to make the chamber mouth extra oversized for reliability purposes....that's essentially built into the tapered case. So, 9mm brass from Glocks usually isn't expanded as much and a normal, tight resize die (like a Lee vice the Dillon) should work perfectly for you. R,

Here is a reply from KKM to a message I sent to their support asking if they could open up the chamber dimensions on a barrel.

"Any brass that has been shot in a Factory Glock barrel should not be reloaded. This is how people blow up their guns by using brass that has been shot in Factory barrels.

Kevin"

GOOD GOD!!! I hope this is a mis-quote. Absolute BS. Glock is and very likely will continue to be, the best producer of...Glock barrels. :surprise: Shocking ain't it. Dude must have A TON of Glock barrel blanks collecting dust. Idiotic and irresponsible thing to say.

Jim

"Any brass that has been shot in a Factory Glock barrel should not be reloaded. This is how people blow up their guns by using brass that has been shot in Factory barrels.

Kevin"

GOOD GOD!!! I hope this is a mis-quote. Absolute BS. Glock is and very likely will continue to be, the best producer of...Glock barrels. :surprise: Shocking ain't it. Dude must have A TON of Glock barrel blanks collecting dust. Idiotic and irresponsible thing to say.

Jim

No mis-quote, thats a cut & paste!

I have Lone Wolf barrels for both my G35 & G23. I reload my .40's to 1.128" OAL...which is slightly longer than the factory 1.125" OAL. I also use the Lee Undersize Die on my Dillon Press, but Dillon dies for powder, seating, and crimping. I have shot 1,000's of these reloads with no problems with the drop in Lone Wolf on my G35.

I did have some issues with feeding with the G23 barrel from Lone Wolf. I called them, shipped it back with a round and they opened up the chamber no problem. Since then...not an issue at all.

I've heard good things about the Storm Lake barrels and Bar-Sto's...accurate and very tight fitting lock-up's. EFK's I've heard are lousy.

My Lone Wolf's run fine (actually getting rid of the G23 one and going back to a stock barrel...it's a carry gun so don't need the LW barrel), but if I were to get another barrel for my G35 I'd try the Storm Lake one.

Z-

I started running a KKM barrel in my Glock 34. When I first started running the reloads that had worked great in the factory barrel I started to have problems of the rounds not chambering fully or being stuck in the chamber when I would try to unload the gun. At first I thought my problem was the brass was not sized small enough for the chamber but what I found my problem to be was the shorter leade to the lands in the barrel rifling. The bullet was getting jammed into the rifling. After lots of messing around with trying to size the cases smaller all I needed to do was seat the bullets deeper. I had the most trouble with 124 FP do to the shape and angle of the nose. Not sure if this may be your problem but I can run my relaods in the KKM with standard sizing as long as I keep the bullet out of the rifling.

Tom

"If you start with NEW brass there will not be problems with chambering. You should see between 20-25 reloads with this brass. Any brass that has been shot in a Factory Glock barrel should not be reloaded. This is how people blow up their guns by using brass that has been shot in Factory barrels.

Kevin"

Sounds reasonable, maybe I will get some new brass and try it with a stock KKM barrel.

Just my opinion, but get something to size the brass smaller if you are using a non Glock barrel. New brass is great until you accidentally get

a piece of someone elses .40 that shot it through a factory Glock barrel at the match you just shot.

T

• 2 weeks later...