Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 10" steel at 100yds with Glock

lugnut

Since I had to install a new rear sight in my G34 today I figured I'd try some 100 yds steel for good fun. I sighted my gun in at 25 yds like I usually do and then proceded to the 100 yds steel. Since I had no idea where my rounds were going at first I wasn't hitting it. After a few shots I held the sights high over the steel and "ding"! I still couldn't tell where it was hitting but I was getting it about every other shot or three. Please don't tell me I should be calling my shots!! :roflol:

I've shot out to 50 yds before but never 100 yds. Is it normal to need a higher hold for targets this far with a handgun? Maybe it was just me pushing the gun a tad? Either way it was funny hearing my 147gr loads hit well after the bang!

give me the bullet weight in grains...the velocity...and a TRUE zero range

I will give you the trajectory out to whatever range you want

Jim

Cool Jim.

Bulllet is 147gr, going about 940 ft/sec at 12 feet if that means anything.

Not sure what a TRUE zero range is.... I sight the gun in at 25yds, with Dawson sights... I'd guess the distance from the bore center to the sights is maybe .5"?

Edited by lugnut

Jim

Cool Jim.

Not sure what a TRUE zero range is.... I sight the gun in at 27yds, with Dawson sights... I'd guess the distance from the bore center to the sights is maybe .5"?

I assume 9mm tell me if its 40 cal

27yds 00.00

30yds -0.13

50yds -1.96

70yds -5.53

90yds -10.89

100yds -14.20

120yds -22.43

150yds -38.34

Jim

there's a steel plate at 5 dogs in bakersfield that is about 200 yds out. when the steel challenge was there in the early 90's for a year, we were playing around and shooting 45's that had steel loads at it. kinda like calling in a mortar. we eventually figured out the angle and hit it kinda consistently...even have video of doing it off hand and weak hand. you could actually see the rounds in flight when the sun was just right.

Jim

Cool Jim.

Not sure what a TRUE zero range is.... I sight the gun in at 27yds, with Dawson sights... I'd guess the distance from the bore center to the sights is maybe .5"?

I assume 9mm tell me if its 40 cal

27yds 00.00

30yds -0.13

50yds -1.96

70yds -5.53

90yds -10.89

100yds -14.20

120yds -22.43

150yds -38.34

Jim

WOW! Yes 9mm thanks. I had no idea that bullet would drop so quick after 50 yds! With these numbers I probably wasn't holding high enough and was hitting the bottom of the plate when I hit it.

WOW! Yes 9mm thanks. I had no idea that bullet would drop so quick after 50 yds! With these numbers I probably wasn't holding high enough and was hitting the bottom of the plate when I hit it.

Actually, it's dropping from the second it leaves the barrel, it's just pointed upwards at the start ;)

It's definitely not a linear function and the drop "rate" gets progressively worse as the bullet slows down. Keep in mind Jim's program is guessing at the BC of the bullet, but with pistol rounds at those ranges it'll be close enough. Consider that from 50yds to 100yds it drops 12" (rounding). Then from 100 to 150 it drops another 24".....imagine what it would be from 150 to 200yds!

This is why a person is in trouble if someone who knows what they're doing is shooting at them with a pistol from 100yds. At 150 it's an entirely different game.

I used to shoot a pepper popper from 100yds with my Glock 22 after we were done with normal qualifications....once you figure out to hold just over the top, you'll hit it most of the time...lots of fun and it really opened a few folk's eyes the first time they saw it done. R,

I shoot my 1911 a 200 when I'm letting my rifle cool sometimes. Went hunting on a ranch out in california one time. The guy there could hit the 400 lifesize pig silhouette with his .44 pretty consistently. Pretty cool to wait for the ding that long.

After a few shots I held the sights high over the steel and "ding"! I still couldn't tell where it was hitting but I was getting it about every other shot or three.

i've found for long range handgunning it is easier to keep the front sight fixed at a constant place (typically a 6:00 hold so I am not obscuring the target with the muzzle) and then drop the rear sight as I work out the trajectory. same effect as "holding over the target" but since I'm keeping the muzzle under my line of sight, i have a better chance of seeing where I am hitting, and most importantly, i have better visual reference on where my sights are. by this, i mean if I keep my front sight fixed at 6:00 on the target, then I can judge how much elevation i'm getting by exacly how far my rear sight notch is below the front sight. my $.02.

-jared

I used to shoot the rams for big bore pistol silhouette at 200 meters (217 yards) double action with a 2" model 15 S&W. It takes about

3 seconds between the bang and the klink. There were trees above the targets, so I would just find how high to aim in the trees. I could

hit 1 or 2 out of 6 shots usually. I have no idea how much hold over, but it was a lot.

I used to shoot the rams for big bore pistol silhouette at 200 meters (217 yards) double action with a 2" model 15 S&W. It takes about

3 seconds between the bang and the klink. There were trees above the targets, so I would just find how high to aim in the trees. I could

hit 1 or 2 out of 6 shots usually. I have no idea how much hold over, but it was a lot.

Trust me, I have seen him do it with a bit longer gun. Try playing spotter at a sil. match where the shooter is getting the second round off before or just as the first shot hits steel 200 meters away. Toolguy is one guy I wouldn't run from. :closedeyes:

Joe W.

At the Masters, we shoot 6" steel at 217 yards with a pistol, and you have to knock them down for them to count. The big plates are 12" and weigh 23lbs, so it takes a good whollop to topple them.

gmantwo - what caliber/cartridge are you using for those 217 yd events? curious to know what it takes to reliably knock over a 23lb plate from +200 yards away!! (serious question - can't find an emoticon thingy that indicates you're not being a smartass...), thanks, Jared

I shot the Masters a for a few years. 7 BR is the most common cartridge in the open class. Others have used, .243 Winchsester, 6.5 BR, 6 BR, 250 Savage, 250 Savage Ackley Improved, 7 TCU, 6.5 BR Improved. All of them work fine. I shot the Savage and the Improved Savage with 100, 110 and 120 grain bullets. 6.5 BR was commonly used with 120 grain bullets. A friend of mine use the .243 Winchester with an 80 grain bullet.

Back to the original post about pistol calibers. :)

When a pistol is sighted in at 25 yards, is the bullet crossing the line of sight close, like 7 or 10 yards, then going above line of sight and coming back down at 25 yards?

Scope offset can be large enough for this

With irons the offset is quite small and its most likely not going to have a cross in zero

With a 25 yard zero and 2.5" scope offset...you will have a zero at 25 yards and again at about 95 yards

With a .5" offset...you will have zero at 25yards and a drop at all ranges beyond 25 yards

Jim

PS...when looking at scope offset

One degree of angle between scope and bore at 100 yards...would be 60 minutes of angle

Edited by GentlemanJim

• 4 months later...

GentlemanJim, I was wondering if you could give me a little input/verification.

A few weeks ago, while at a competition, we had some time in between stages so we decided to mess around a bit. We were taking aim at some metal target stands at what we thought to be at 100 yards. I estimate the stands to be 18" wide and 3' tall, but again that is just a guess. I was aiming at the top of the stand and was ringing it pretty constantly; 5 in a row if memory serves. I was shooting 230 grain .45 ACP Blazer Aluminum. Since I am sighted in at 25 yards, it surprised me that I was able to hold on the target and still get hits. Does this seem correct?

My estimates may be off since I did not have a range finder, and did not measure the targets. I have a video of the stage we were shooting, so you can see the targets in the background. At :18 of this video, I think I actually hit the far target on accident, which may help judge distance a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdo79#p/u/10/aTvoRvo1JVk