Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Nationals Score and Classification

Nemo

When does the competitor's Nationals score count as ONE classifier vs. bumping him/her to the next higher class?

If the match division meets the classifier requirements, GMs, etc, it counts as one classifier.

From: http://www.uspsa.org/dw/classificationPolicies.html

7. A person may be up-classed if the percentage he receives at a major tournament match (e.g.: Nationals, Area matches, some large Sectional and State matches, Tournaments, etc.) is in a higher class than his present classification status.

Notice the "may" :rolleyes:

ETA: Did someone get bumped? :surprise:

Edited by ChuckS

Nemo, I think it's just like any other Level III major match ...... if he shot the PERCENTAGE of the next higher class, AND was 1st or 2nd in his class, AND there were 3 National-level GM's in his division ........ then he gets a nice letter in the mail from Sedro Wolley, congratulating him on his accomplishments. :lol:

Thanks for the replies! I was trying to explain this to Francisco yesterday but couldn't find the place where it was outlined. He hasn't been bumped yet, but there is a chance that he will be.

Let's see, Chris... Fran was:

- 2nd C-class

- 65.49%

- 16 GM's

What do you think?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies! I was trying to explain this to Francisco yesterday but couldn't find the place where it was outlined. He hasn't been bumped yet, but there is a chance that he will be.

- 2nd C-class

- 65.49%

- 16 GM's

What do you think?

Very good chance he will be getting a B card next update.

- 2nd C-class

- 65.49%

- 16 GM's

What do you think?

Welcome to B class Fran. :)

He ought to be bumped to B class just because he can run without his knees cracking. I think any competitor who can move as fast as Francisco and gets interviewed for a Nationwide TV show should be penalized a zillion points just to give us old fossils a chance. ;)

I would agree with Mark. I got bumped from B class Prod. to A class Prod. at the Area 6 match a few years ago, and like I said earlier, Sedro Wooley sends you a nice little certificate congratulating you on your "outstanding performance". I got mine at an Area match, and was proud as heck. :D

Fran should be the proudest chico en el casa. :rolleyes: (except for his papi of course)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nemo, thats exactly how I got bumped to B class at the 06 nationals; I shot 66% and had a current rating of about 60%

So its still possible for it to happen to Fran.

Shouldn't you be getting bumped after your area 4 showing?

Nemo, I think it's just like any other Level III major match ...... if he shot the PERCENTAGE of the next higher class, AND was 1st or 2nd in his class, AND there were 3 National-level GM's in his division ........ then he gets a nice letter in the mail from Sedro Wolley, congratulating him on his accomplishments. :lol:

This is true, unless it would bump you to GM, then the above doesn't apply. A GM card has to be earned by shooting the classifiers well or if not shooting them again and again until you shoot them well.... :roflol:

Today's classification update shows Francisco as a B-Class Production with a 25.71%. He has been bumped.

:cheers:

You meant 75%, right?

From the USPSA Classification page:

PRODUCTION Class: B Pct: 25.71 High Pct: 25.71

I think Nelson is trying to say that Fran's bump was for match placement, not Classification %.

This is true, unless it would bump you to GM, then the above doesn't apply. A GM card has to be earned by shooting the classifiers well or if not shooting them again and again until you shoot them well.... :roflol:

Here is what the rule book says, and it would appear that you can get bumped to GM with a match finish.

Your performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help

establish classification. Placement in a major event with a score above your

assigned class percentage may result in your being promoted to a higher class,

even if your current average is lower. Winning first or second in class at an Area

Championship or Major Tournament AND shooting into the next higher class

may result in promotion (except to Grand Master); winning High Overall in an

Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class. In addition, if you

score 95% or higher at a USPSA national championship, you will be immediately

moved to Grand Master class for that division.

Here is what the rule book says, and it would appear that you can get bumped to GM with a match finish.

Your performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help

establish classification. Placement in a major event with a score above your

assigned class percentage may result in your being promoted to a higher class,

even if your current average is lower. Winning first or second in class at an Area

may result in promotion (except to Grand Master); winning High Overall in an

Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class. In addition, if you

score 95% or higher at a USPSA national championship, you will be immediately

moved to Grand Master class for that division.

Well there you have it, I was wrong. Thank you very much for that info----sorry about the mis-information. I came in 1st M class and shot 95+ % at the area 3 match this year this year. i called Sedro Wooley and asked them if i was going to get bumped to gm. They told me they dont bump people to gm, that one has to be earned... looks like they were wrong as well. Good information to know though.

Here is what the rule book says: Winning first or second in class at an Area

may result in promotion (except to Grand Master);

Zerwas, this is the part of the rule that applies to your situation. Your 1st M finish at Area 3 Championship, at 95+%, was outstanding, but the "except to Grand Master" clause kicks in, and keeps you at Master.