Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone know of a web site that lists what the major United States (state) police organizations carry? I did a google search and didn't find anything. If not, maybe there is enough knowlege on this forum to compile a list.

All I know:

FBI: Glock 23

NJ State: Sig 228

PA State: Beretta 96D (DAO).

Bucky

I am a bit curious why you would want to know. I don't think there is a list of this kind of thing, but the decisions on what the officers carry is USUALLY very political.

For instance, the Texas Department of Public Safety carries Sigs chambered for 357 Sig. The deal was that Sig would give them the pistols if they would make the 357Sig chambering a mandate to the officers. Deal done...

Don't know HOW it got done, nor do I really care, but each law enforcement group should be allowed to carry what they think best does the job, regardless of any political interference, if they can qualify with the pistol. I personally think that each officer should be given a list of personal weapons they can choose from in sufficient calibers and then make their own choice.

My thoughts.

Tightloop,

Just curious / trivia knowlege, nothing more. I am aware of the political arena involved. NJ state was suppose to go with S&W model 99s, as a thank you/payoff for the S&W Klinton deal. They were failing so much, that they rushed to reissue the H&K P7M8s. Eventually they went to the tried and true Sig 228.

Also, it seems that some are more basing the decision these days a little more on logic/experience and performance, though there has been a lot learned in the past two decades.

Hey, maybe I'll even learn to name all 50 states if I can associate the gun to the state

:P

Lawman - thanks for the update.

FL Highway Patrol: Beretta 96

Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement (state-level FBI type): GLOCK 19/23/22

US Border Patrol: Beretta 96D

Leon County Sheriffs Office, FL (Just local level, I know): H&K USP 45 with the LEM fire control, for patrol, and Kimbers for SWAT

Not quite the information you wanted, I suspect, but I will take this opportunity to vent to folks who actually know what I'm talking about (as opposed to, say, 99% of the folks on this base).

17 Training Support Squadron, Goodfellow AFB Texas, United States Air Farce (and yes it is).

I "own" fifty (50) M16s. Not stinkin' -A1, not stinkin' -A2, and sure not -M4. M16 M16s. Triangle old-school handguards, prong "branch catcher" flash hiders, no forward assist, lousy sights...

...and they won't even let me shoot them. Bozos.

The armoury also has M9 (Beretta 92FS) with the silly half-circle/dot sights, Mossberg 500's, Mossberg 590's, and a handful of 870's. The Honor Guard just transitioned from Garands to M14's with the selector block.

Alex

I don't think all Border Patrol guys carry 96Ds. I know that's what they get at the academy, but anyone in a special team like BOARSTAR, BOARTAC etc.(from what I've been told) can carry pretty much what they want. I hear a couple guys on BOARTAC carry built 2011s. I have a couple of friends at the academy right now up in SC, and as IPSC shooters, they have a strong dislike for the 96Ds...And the food...And the Spanish..And the.....

Chris,

I tried out a troopers 96D once out in Easton. It seemed to me that the trigger pull was a bit heavier than the "civilian" 96Ds that I've tried. Perhaps they have it heavier on purpose ala New York Glock triggers? Would you still take a G22 if it had the 12 pound trigger?

I know of an NJ police dept. that has a very interesting policy. They are issued the Beretta 92FS. Provided you can pass a slightly harded qualification, you can carry anything you want provided it is an approved caliber and it has a manual safety. Sooo... you can carry a WWII vintage 1911 (I know someone who does!), but Glocks and Sigs are out.

Bucky,

I don't want any gun with a 12 pound trigger. Heavy triggers are a crutch used to overcome liability from lack of training. Our triggers are the same as the stock civilian models. Checked with Beretta on that when we got them. I can carry damn near anything I want off-duty or in plain clothes but in uniform it's the Beretta.

In my quest of this "Trivial Pursuit", I found the following link

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/genOrders/go801.html

This talks about every last detail given to the Hawaii patrolman, right down to "31 rounds of ammunition" per year!

It appears there issue sidearm is the 5906, except for

The issued firearm for the Special Response Team members shall be a GLOCK Model 34, 40 caliber semi-automatic pistol, or as otherwise specified or approved by the Police Chief.

<SIGH>

Shoes not included!

Michigan State Police carry Sig 226's, with a (shh! it's a secret) five-shot S&W hammerless backups in their trouser pocket. "Excuse me ma'am, are you happy to see me.. oh never mind."

Detroit PD used to have the most rational policy I ever heard of: If it was a DA revolver or DA pistol, Colt or 'Smith, and you could shoot a qualifying score, you could carry it. Pistol ammo had to be FMJ, and revolvers had to be lead bullets, no hollowpoints. As a result, you had some officers packing the departmental-issue 5" M-10 S&W, and others with 4" M-29's.

Now they carry Glock 22 and 23, and 180 FMJ ammo.

The Sheriffs office I worked for for a time was simple: any DA/DAO 9mm you could qualify with was OK with the Sheriff. A lot of 9mm+P+ went downrange.

Fairfax City, VA PD carry Sig 226. FI for the city told me they are considering transitioning to Glock 22's because some officers could not figure out decocker and other controls on Sigs :o . He uses a video I made at one of our local matches of Phil, BJ and Kyle (wearing his FFX City FD Tshirt) to demonstrate proper shooting technique. Ask them if a 14 yr old and "flamehead" can shoot like that, why can't you?

What's been good enough for the Feds has been good enough for the SiG Lady. B)

TL--

In some cases, the LEOs receive a short list of gun types they can CHOOSE from as their duty gun(s). The types differ both in manufacture and in price so the LEO can perhaps suit his/her own budget. Sigs are nice, but can exceed the price of a Glock sometimes. ;)

MD state police use .40 cal Beretta (not sure which model) They tested in the late 80s/early 90s and were all set to adopt another gun - the Sig I believe - when the then-Demorat governor stepped in & declared that they HAD to adopt the Berreta as it was to be produced in MD. The locking blocks on the .40s frequently break, my police friends tell me. Baltimore city recenlty swithed to the Glock 22.

MD state police use .40 cal Beretta ...<snip>... The locking blocks on the .40s frequently break, my police friends tell me.

Wow this is the first I've heard of this. I am looking to buy a Beretta .40 as a winter carry gun. This is not good to hear. Anyone else heard of this. Chriss G!!??

Certainly not looking to discredit to you Carlos, I'm just wondering if this may be issolated issues due to model, issued ammo, excessive use etc. -- thank you very much for the heads up.