Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Options

JFlowers

I am having a lot of difficulty getting Federal Primers, enough so that I am having to start looking at other options. One option is go to back to my Open gun with the ammo I have in stock and a strong supply of Federal Primers to load more. But I am really looking to stay with the Revolver.

So what is the next best alternative? Is it a slightly heavier setup and some other primer, a differently tuned setup and some other primer, etc, etc?

Thanks,

James

If the revolver's action is optimized for Federal primers, it will not work with anything else without retuning the springs. And I say springs, plural, because if you add mainspring tension you will also need to add rebound spring tension in order to prevent sluggish trigger return.

Revolver shooters really do need to stock up heavy on Federal primers when they are periodically available.

If the revolver's action is optimized for Federal primers, it will not work with anything else without retuning the springs. And I say springs, plural, because if you add mainspring tension you will also need to add rebound spring tension in order to prevent sluggish trigger return.

Revolver shooters really do need to stock up heavy on Federal primers when they are periodically available.

Now I didn't know that about revolvers. Learn something new every day.

Thanks!

I am having a lot of difficulty getting Federal Primers, enough so that I am having to start looking at other options. One option is go to back to my Open gun with the ammo I have in stock and a strong supply of Federal Primers to load more. But I am really looking to stay with the Revolver.

So what is the next best alternative? Is it a slightly heavier setup and some other primer, a differently tuned setup and some other primer, etc, etc?

Thanks,

James

James, I don't know if it will be the same for Large Pistol primers, but I used to use winchester and they worked well, with Remington being next in lightability. My USPSA gun is now using some winchester small rifle primers with no problem except I have it set heavy. I never was able to get a good action on this one. And as Carmoney eludes to, if your trigger return spring is real light it may have to be replaced to a heavier spring to be able to reset with a much heavier main spring. A frind and fellow shooter had NO luck with the Mag Tech primers. Just a heads up. Good Luck rdd

i just got a call from Grafs on a Federal LP backorder i've had in for 6 months, or more. they came in and are headed my way. if i had known how long it'd take i'd of ordered 3 times as much.

It is getting tough to find any reloading supplies locally here in Denver that the stores do not think are gold plated. sportsmans warehouse had the best inventory before they closed the two stores nearest me. Maybe now that they are out of bankruptcy they will have some inventory. I think it is cheaper to buy factory ammo than components from Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.

I feel your pain. I'm halfway thru my last case of Fed LP. After that, I'll be using up the last of my Win LP. When I had my 5" 625 reworked, I planned ahead and had my gunsmith (Thanks, Mike!) make up a set of springs specifically for Win primers in case my Fed's didn't last. Haven't had to go that route yet. It's my insurance policy sitting in the drawer.

I really thought the supply chain would have have caught up by now, or at least by the fall. Several posters have indicated lately that they are finally getting the orders placed six months ago. I would put in an order now and wait six months, but everyone's site now says "no backorders". Rest assured when they do become available, I'll put in a 50k order.

What's a wheelgunner to do?

• 1 month later...

Okay I know that this is a little off topic, but why would you tune a revolver for a certain primer? What is the benefit? :huh:

My revolver is stock and I have not had any trouble using any primers (Winchester, Federal, Magtech) that I have come across.