Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SCAR16s

joshua79109

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using a FN SCAR16s for 3 gun? Looking for any information you might have about this rifle.

Thanks

For most 3-gun matches, they are probably fine. RM3G in Raton and BR3G in Kentucky, might be tough. The FN squad struggled on the long range rifle targets (300 to 600) but did fine on the ones that were under 300. There is a lot of difference between a 10" plate at 200 and a 12" plate at 425. Their reloads looked a little clumsier and slower than the AR reloads, but a reload on a 100 plus second stage is not a big factor either way.

Anyone using a FN SCAR16s for 3 gun? Looking for any information you might have about this rifle.

Thanks

For most 3-gun matches, they are probably fine. RM3G in Raton and BR3G in Kentucky, might be tough. The FN squad struggled on the long range rifle targets (300 to 600) but did fine on the ones that were under 300. There is a lot of difference between a 10" plate at 200 and a 12" plate at 425. Their reloads looked a little clumsier and slower than the AR reloads, but a reload on a 100 plus second stage is not a big factor either way.

Are the SCAR's less accurate than a good AR?

The SCAR 16S is just as accurate as any top quality AR on the market. I am still shooting sub minute accuracy at 12K+ with less than 6 cleanings. It just so happens that I have the endurance gun that we tested and dropped and shot to 10K without a hitch, so I know exactly what it can do.

Reloads are no different than any AR, same button placement within reason and Ambi as well.

Yes some of us "Desk Jockey's" struggled on the long range targets at RM3G but Mark nailed the 600, and 400+ targets on the first shot. Tasha also hit the 400+ targets without a problem and we were all using 5x Leupolds exept for our VP who was shooting Iron's.

If you are looking for a great soft shooting rifle that will not fail you, we have it.

Tommy Thacker

Product Manager

FNH USA

Endurance_test.pdf

Edited by TommyGun

Thanks

I can not speak from experience. I would note that there are not any aftermarket items yet and the barrel that FN produces is to my knowledge the only one available. My question would be rather that if you have a good AR, why would anyone need a gun that costs twice as much to find the answer to that question?

I just got done shooting the DPMS match with the whole squad from FN. I got to see the Scars run and run and run and run....well you get the idea. I saw a whole lot of hits, very few misses and narry a malfunction. I can't speak to the accurracy because I don't own one, but it seemed to me to be more than adaquate for 3-gunning. The up side is that in talking to these "crazy guys and girls", that these were right off the shelf guns with NO modifications at all, and I was told at some point in time they MIGHT even clean them.....next year! I don't know what they cost, but it can't be any worse than any high end rifle on the market.

Congratulations to The FN guys/girls for doing so well with STOCK FACTORY EQUIPMENT! KurtM

I don't know what they cost, but it can't be any worse than any high end rifle on the market.

KurtM

Kurt,

Just with a quick internet search, I saw someplace was having a drawing. You send in your name & they were going to draw 3 names from the whole bunch & if you were drawn, you had the opportunity to buy one for $2500! I am guessing from the responses on that website, the normal retail is considerably higher. :surprise: Of course, I guess it costs what it costs & sounds like they worked well for the team.

MLM

Will it work. Yes

Is it currently the best option for the game. Probably not

As production increases and availabilty increases the price will come down, more folks will buy them, there will be more after market parts.

For that kind of dinero you can get a couple of great ARs or one really damn cool rifle with all the bells and whistles.

Just like when ARs first came out. They were unproven trigger left a lot to be desired and nobody had good barrels or any other parts. Now go take a look at a high power match. I think the SCAR has a lot of potential and time and the market will tell if it becomes a good choice for this game.

The price isn't really that much more than a Gas Piston AR15 with all the same type of accessories the SCAR comes with.

It could very well be the next service rifle....Special Forces got them, the Rangers are deploying with them (based on an article I read), they could eventually trickle down into general issue.

The price isn't really that much more than a Gas Piston AR15 with all the same type of accessories the SCAR comes with.

It could very well be the next service rifle....Special Forces got them, the Rangers are deploying with them (based on an article I read), they could eventually trickle down into general issue.

That's my point. A gas piston isn't really needed for competition use. They're pretty damn nifty and if I needed a weapon instead of a competition rifle then I'm all for it. But I think the regular gas system has proven itself for competition guns. $2500 buys a whole lot of AR. The SCARs looked pretty bare for that price.

Edited by J-Ho

The Rangers nor the SF at Fort Lewis is using the 5.56 version but are using the 7.62 versions...Remember, Special Ops did not ask for the change but it is being forced on them. Ask the gun plumbers how they like them. Now ask about the the FN 240B machine gun...very nice, great improvement of the medium MG!

Why fix something that is not broke. Newer does not mean better all the time, newer sometimes just means newer!

RLTW,

SGM ® Scott

Expensive - yes. I still want to shoot the piss out of one and see what it's all about :rolleyes:

Are there patents that would keep other manufacturers from entering the market on rifles, parts, etc? If other companies can get in the fray, that's a great things for us consumers/shooters . . .

BTW - props to FN for advancing the good fight.

Edited by chp5

I think these are all good questions, and I see that Tommy has already taken the liberty to answer most of them.

I can say that as far as accuracy goes, as long as the shooter does their job, the SCAR will do its job. The misses I had at this match were all operator error, not the gun (i.e. not adjusting the scope, using the barrel to support instead of the rails, etc.) :wacko: Mark actually hit the 600 yard target on his first shot! This was cool for all of us to see!!

As far as little things on the gun that make it look and feel clumsier; I've read people talking about the trigger and reloads. In tactical optics, at most matches, you are not allowed to use leveled mag couplers, you have to offset the mags. Since this is the case we do not use the couplers, we would rather practice the reloads. I for one have a hard time getting to the mag button....so a solution will be found!! The trigger, it's a little rough, however, I can still double tap this gun! Our guns are straight from the box and we have not made any modifications to them.

The Independence Day match that we had here in Arizona, I made it a point to beat up the SCAR. I wanted to see for myself that it could take the abuse. So I went prone on concrete....HARD...bruises to prove it. The mag is beat up, but the SCAR worked flawlessly. At RM3G I actually threw my magazine in the dirt (on accident ;) ) picked it up full of sand and grime, again, it worked flawlessly. At DPMS we actually had to shoot out of a front loader bucket, we were able to shorten the stock so that we had a better view for the 150 yard targets. So it really does have a lot to offer.

All in all, I love the SCAR! It's proven itself to Mark and me over again. Thanks for all your questions and support! :cheers:

Thanks to all that have responded.

I was one of three winners of the drawing from the FN forum and Coles so I will be the owner of a SCAR as soon as Coles gets them in stock for the winners. I am excited to give the rifle a good run and I'll post my results on the FN forum when they are available if anyone is interested. I would like to use the SCAR for 3 gun if possible - that would be all 3 firearms from FN for me.

I have shot one in the local 3G matches in Virginia for the past few months and I also shot it at the USMC 3G match at Quantico last month. I belive I was the only one at this match shooting the SCAR. Being used to my regular competition AR with the long V-Tac handguard I still have to get used to the SCAR's shorter handguard. I made the mistake of resting the barrel on the barricade and it absolutely crushed my time on that stage. I was so PO'd at myself so I went back to that stage after we were done to find out what I was doing wrong. The Gunny that was the RO helped me out and that is when I realized what I was doing wrong. He let me run that part of the stage again (not to replace my original results) and I absolutely burned it down. I was using a Leupold 1.5-5 on the SCAR.

I don't get to practice much past 200 yards due to the lack of available ranges. But at 200 yards I can smoke 10" plates with this set up all day long. It is not due to my expertise either!!!! Shooting doubles with this rifle is also effortless!!!!

I am not a salty 3G shooter (only been doing it for about 2 years now) so my opinion may not carry as much as weight as some of the big time 3Gunners but I like this gun. It runs and runs and runs. Does it feel and shoot different than my competition AR? Yes! Is it a BAD different? NO! Just takes some getting used to.

I plan on shooting this rifle at the Ft Benning 3G match in December!!

Edited by NovaShooter

I was one of three winners of the drawing from the FN forum and Coles so I will be the owner of a SCAR as soon as Coles gets them in stock for the winners. I am excited to give the rifle a good run and I'll post my results on the FN forum when they are available if anyone is interested. I would like to use the SCAR for 3 gun if possible - that would be all 3 firearms from FN for me.

Free kind of negates the argument about price. Dude take the gun and run with it. If you like it cool. If not, sell it. It will sell for a pretty penny.

Free kind of negates the argument about price. Dude take the gun and run with it. If you like it cool. If not, sell it. It will sell for a pretty penny.

Nope.... still a good argument, I won a chance to buy one.

I want it.... I have a friend in Afghanistan that's using one for real work (the larger cal 7.62 version) and he has some great things to say about it. He also likes the 5.56, but said he only got to test the 5.56 and has the 7.62 issued to him. He said he has never had a malfunction with it and things fall down when he shoots at them. Good enough for me.

I have started to learn that what might be good for real work might not be good for 3 gun, so that was my real reason for the post. I still have a desire to play/train with things that would serve a real world purpose if needed.

• 1 month later...