Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BLURRY FRONT SIGHT - WHAT TECHNIQUES DO YOU USE?

RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks,

I have a question for yall.

But let me start-off by saying that I am near-sighted, with astigmatism. And this is the first year of my life that I have to wear glasses. (I turned 44 on August 31st).

When I drive, I wear corerective glasses for my near-sightedness and astigmatism. (Signs that are farher away seem A LITTLE blurry).

But when I am at home reading, or in front of my PC, I wear a second set that ONLY corrects my astigmatism.

So here's the deal...when I shoot my 1911 at farther targets (25 yards and beyond), after a few rounds, the front sight starts to get blurry on me. (I start off with pretty tight groups, but they start to open up on me as the sights start to get blurry).

What do you guys do for competition shooting? Do you focus on the target, but use your peripheral vision on the sights?

Or do you focus on your sights, and then on the target...and back and forth?

Just curious as to your aiming techniques.

Now that I am wearing glasses, I would like to hear a few tips from those that have trodden on the path I am now starting to tread.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: I just got back from the indoor range, and I can keep ALL MY .45 ACP SHOTS, at 25-yards, within a 5" inch circle. Not the best, but still sufficient to take down steel plates at that distance.

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

You should only be focusing on the front sight. The target should be blurry. Sounds like you are having a focus problem which is causing retina fatigue, thus making EVERYTHING blurry. Try to focus on one, not both, and see if that helps.

You should only be focusing on the front sight. The target should be blurry. Sounds like you are having a focus problem which is causing retina fatigue, thus making EVERYTHING blurry. Try to focus on one, not both, and see if that helps.

+1 The target should be blurry, not the sight.

The front sight should be in focus. I had a situation similar to yours and a friend suggested a solution. I had a pair of glasses made that has the right lens set up for reading a computer monitor (arms length away, not reading a book distance which is closer). My left lens is set up for distance. I put the glasses on a half hour before I shoot and my brain adapts to them. Now when I look through them the front sight is clear and I can still see the target in the distance. Hope this helps.

+1 to the above. You may want to try contacts(several threads on that topic already). Your vision will change as you get better at transitions (eye muscles get stronger) and target acquisition, be prepared for several different Rx before you settle in, and it will change after that. Ignore the non-dominant front sight, it will eventually disappear-this takes time and work. Probably 2-4 months. Good luck.

I also have the same near sighted issues. I purchased a pair of Decot Rx shooting glassses. The guy that does the sizing adjust one of the lenses based on your script to allow you to have a clear front sight. Decot does glasses for a bunch of the pros shooters.

Highly recommended!

+1 on getting a prescription that has your front sight in focus.

I had a pair of glasses done with the left eye focus on the sight (actually Dr "measured"* the distance to my front sight) and my right eye (dom) to focus for distance. It was a neat experiment and maybe it works OK...I say maybe, as now my eyes have changed again and I need a new 'script. It is interesting using the dual focus setup - I can't tell any difference (L-R) when wearing them - the brain is a powerful muscle :-) While this prescription was good they seemed to work for me...now everyone is getting fuzzy again.

Welcome to the "getting old" class. I've worn glasses since I was 13 but now my eyes seem to change faster between prescriptions..."getting old" too

My Dr. was open to the idea so we did it as an experiment. I got the idea from someone on this board - so not my original idea. IIRC - people were do the same with contact lenses.

Good luck and welcome to the "aging."

ymmv

*measured - I didn't take my pistol into his office, just held out arms and SWAG'd the rest of the distance.

I'm going to go against the grain here!!! the amount of precision the shot requires will determine whether or not you should focus on the target or the sight. this is determined by YOUR ability, For me target focus switches to sight focus when the shot gets further than 15yds AND smaller than an 8" disc. this is based on my ability to shoot quick clean runs on Steel Challenge stages.

If the target is bigger than 8" then the distance can be increased, if its smaller like a head shot then its decreased.

You need to be aware of where your front sight is, and be able to see it, but not necessarily focus on it.

More to follow, I have an emergancy, OK I'm back

Saul Kirsch covers this type shooting in his book, i have always shot this way, just didn't realize others did as well.

For Rifle shooting it is the same except pretty much all of it beyond 50yds is sight focus, Ironically, David Tubb also mentions this in his book, saying that the further the target gets the more you need to focus on the front sight.

Basically, you need to give each target the respect it deserves.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I know of a very pro-gun eye Dr. and he let me bring in my gun to the office w/ me(in a unobtrusive case of course) behind closed doors we measured my focal length to the actual front sight w/ the gun in my hand, and went from there, tho im the reverse, i am far sighted, but it works for me

I know of a very pro-gun eye Dr. and he let me bring in my gun to the office w/ me(in a unobtrusive case of course) behind closed doors we measured my focal length to the actual front sight w/ the gun in my hand, and went from there,

Yep, that's the way to do it.

A.T.

Hmmm.

Very good info to chew on.

Like I said in my initial post, it is at the 25 yard range that my front sights seem to get all blurry, and my shot groups open up.

Seems like there is a lot to chew on here.

I will go the "ghetto route" at first, and use my reading glasses for the furthest shots. (My reading glasses just correct for my astigmatism, so the front sights should be clear).

If that dodesn't do the trick, then I will try the second trick of using two different perscriptions on my glasses.

But I have a question for HK MTBR...if I am right-eye dominant (the one I use to aim), why would I NOT use my near-sighted perscription on that side? Wouldn't it make more sense to use my astigmatism perscription on my dominant eye? (My astigmatism perscription allows my to see my front sight).

Just curious.

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Good focus on the front sight is all well and good but if a 20 yard no-shoot target or partial is REALLY fuzzy it is bad. That is where I am with contacts. 46 years of age and thinking about open.

I am nearsighted as well. I take out the contact in my right eye so that my eye muscles do not have to work at trying to adjust from close to far ( target to front sight) over and over through a course of fire. My right eye is left to contend only with a focal point of the front sight. I leave in my left contact to do the distance work and pick up the next target. If you shoot with only one eye open it can be changed rather quickly with dry fire( or actually "dry sight aquisition' practice.

But I have a question for HK MTBR...if I am right-eye dominant (the one I use to aim), why would I NOT use my near-sighted perscription on that side? Wouldn't it make more sense to use my astigmatism perscription on my dominant eye? (My astigmatism perscription allows my to see my front sight).

Just curious.

Good question...maybe that is what is wrong with my shooting :roflol:

Really that might be best. My doc was willing to go out of the box and we just tried it. I mentioned it and he said lets try it. But you could be right...now I'll have to try this your way to test it.

I'd really like to get surgery...maybe when I quit buying guns...I'm almost done buying anyway :rolleyes:

I took a different route that the other responders. I am nearsighted, with astigmatism, but since I was a cop I needed to see the sights at any time. I got glasses with "occupational lenses", i.e., a TRI-focal! My middle lens is for distance, the bottom lens is for reading, and the top lens (slightly smaller than the reading lens) is to focus just past the end of my outstretched arms, on my gun sights. I see the target normally, then dip my head slightly while drawing and I'm right on the front sight. Not the cheapest solution, but it works all the time.