Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM .40 S&W

The_Vigilante

I have ordered an XDM .40 which I plan to use in both USPSA and IDPA. I have read with interest the information on the trigger kits available: Springer and Powder River. Appears both have their strong points. Is it possible to "mix and match" the parts from each kit to get the "best available" trigger. If not, which trigger kit do you recommmend and why? Thanks in advance.

I've sent mine to Daniel of Powder River Precision in Oregon and the results are really good. I went with the competition trigger kit with 3.5# break. Daniel and Michelle are very professional, very patient too all my quirky requests and phone calls. Definitely recommended. I heard a lot about Springer too, so both are highly regarded as excellent gunsmiths. You will not be dissapointed with any of them.

Is it possible to "mix and match" the parts from each kit to get the "best available" trigger.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

As Rich said the best job will be by a gunsmith.

The kit parts we sell are a by product of the parts we needed for the shop use and not the same parts and we do not sell our shop parts. As far as the kits go, just look at the parts and you should be able to quickly tell the differences and the intentions of the designers.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I agree that it is not a good idea to mix and match parts/kits from different manufacturers. I also agree that you will get the best results if you send your pistol to a pistolsmith that specializes in the XD/m.

The parts that I offer in our trigger kit are the same parts that I use for trigger jobs in my shop. My intentions, when I designed the trigger kit were to:

1. Develop a method for doing trigger jobs that did not require modifying (or completely removing) the striker safety in the slide.

2. Eliminate the need to drill a hole in the trigger bar in order to install an over travel stop. This was causing the older cast trigger bars to fail.

What I ended up with is a reliable trigger kit that requires no permanent modification to the pistol, removes almost all the take up/over travel, drastically reduces reset, and gives a light clean break.

• 1 month later...

Brownells sells the Springer spring kit, which I installed and had a really nice trigger. The best thing I did though was order the sear they sell that removes 1/4" of the takeup on the trigger. That sear made a HUGE difference in the trigger! Nice short pull and broke consistently at 3.7lb(Bianchi requires a 3.5lb). Total of about $65 with the polished sear.

• 3 months later...

Brownells sells the Springer spring kit, which I installed and had a really nice trigger. The best thing I did though was order the sear they sell that removes 1/4" of the takeup on the trigger. That sear made a HUGE difference in the trigger! Nice short pull and broke consistently at 3.7lb(Bianchi requires a 3.5lb). Total of about $65 with the polished sear.

How does the trigger in one of these compare to other guns? Like a DA/SA SIG or 1911?