Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walnut AND Corn Cob?

Z32MadMan

What Atbarr said. No. In my experience the two medias do two different things. Walnut cleans great but leaves brass kind of burnished looking. Corn and polish buff to a high shine. I do a few hours walnut followed by an hour or two with corn and polish. Looks like new. :cheers:

There may be others who will chime in with lots of other methods but YOUR question has been answered.

50/50 with Frankford Arsenal polish gets me clean and fairly shiny cases.

If the brass really grimy, nothing cleans as quickly nor as well as straight walnut, but the cases will have that sorta dulled shine. Straight cob gets you the high gloss shine, doesn't clean as well for me.

Running walnut and then cob sequentially will get you spotless bling, but I no longer am willing to go to the effort.

I use a 64/36 mixture of corn cob and walnut.

I do use around half and half but I don't measure it! It works for me, but I do have a lot of dust. I just figured the walnut would help clean it a little bit more and the corn cob would polish it a little bit better.

Randy

I'm with atbarr and sandman, walnut is good for cleaning and corn cob is great for polishing but that doesn't mean they can do their respective jobs mixed together. In the old days with a Thumler's tumbler and dumping media through a kitchen strainer it was walnut, then it was a sieve from Midway big enough for corn cob but it didn't clean powder blackning like walnut. So today it is clean with walnut and polish with corn cob using a nice hinged basket to dump the brass in.

I have always used a mixture of 3 to 1 corncob to walnut. I have been happy with the results myself, and do not really see a reason for doing one then the other. I usually use the mix about 5 times, adding polish to the mix the first time. They seem nice and shiny to me, at least as shiny as the brass looked new.

I tried a mix, didn't like it. Now walnut shells for case cleaning and the large corn cob media for a quick post loading polish. Cleans off the lube and leaves case and bullet very shiny Nu Finish Added)!!!

I use roughly a 60/40 blend of fine corn cob and walnut shell with a little Dillon case polish, and a couple of dryer sheets to collect the grime and dust. Run for around an hour or 1:15, and it's good enough for me. Not necessarily the prettiest, but clean enough to work well.

I run 100% corn cob through a Thumbler's Tumbler with three capfuls of Dillon's polish for 2hrs. They look almost, if not, new. I do pick out the really tarnished ones and run them at the same time for a 4hr run, and they come out looking like the others. Never found a reason to use Walnut until I ran a bunch of old LC 30-06 brass. Ran straight walnut, 100 cases at a time. Was the only thing that would shine em up. Then I ran them through the cob media. They are pretty now.YMMV

JZ

I use sraight cob and sometimes when I can get it I use lizard litter with Nu finish mixed with a little alcohol to thin it out. Brass looks brand new and reloads easier as the nu finish lubes the brass.

See... I never used the alcohol thing, but some guys say use mineral spirits. I just plop in some new finish and only use the corn cob stuff for loaded ammo to clean off any lead lube and stuff that might be on it on pistol rounds, or for case lube on rifle rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

i use straight walnut for cleaning for 2-3 hrs and then 2 hours of straight corn cob(pet shop bedding material) and Nu-finish polish, they come out so shiny you can't tell if they are new or not.

as for the alcohol or mineral spirits to thin out the Nu-finish, i'll try that, at $6.47 a bottle you want to stretch out as much as you can. also i noticed when you get to the end of the bottle, the polish tends to get a little thick, so i think the alcohol will help.

my $.02