Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Montana Gold bullets to do you like?

Aircooled6racer

I haven't tried the 147's but the 121's and the 124's are vry accurate out of my XDM and also my open guns. I have some 147's to test but I haven't taken the time to load them yet. Now that it's been mentioned I should go load those tonight.

Hope this helps but I usually always stick with Zero 135g FMJ and just tried some of the MG 115JHP and really like the way the longer (G34 and S&W M&P Pro) handle so much better. Usually on close targets with two quick shots, I would vertically string the shots as I was shooting faster than I could shoot due to the slower slide speed, now with the 115's at about a 130pf the gun is handling much better for me. Plus the accuracy is as good or better. Hope this helps but I say 115 JHP!

I like the 147g CMJs. The heavier bullet out of my G34 gives me less muzzle flip than the 124g. The lighter bullet is more snappy to me which I dont like, but that's just me. Remember that someone elses load may not work for you. Try taking your best condending 2 loads (maybe a heavy bullet and a light bullet load). Run them both on the same drill 10 times each and record hit factor and grouping on paper. Which ever one gives you the highest average hit factor with the best grouping on paper is probably the one you want to use. Hope this helps.

Hello: I was wondering which Montana Gold bullet you guys like for a G17 or G34? I have some 115JHP, 121IFP and now some 147 CMJ. I am using the 121 IMF so far and really like them. I am just curious :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I have some Montana Gold 121IFP that I would love to use in minor for my G34. Do you guys have any good loads for this bullet? I have Titegroup, WSF, and Solo 1000 powders to get started...just don't know where to start! :)

Hello: My 121 IFP load for a Glock 17 using Tite Group is 4.2grains, 1.140 OAL, Winchester WSP primers and gives me a 131PF at 90 degrees and 20% humidity. For the Glock 34 you could reduce the charge by 0.1-0.2 grains. I shot the 121's this weekend and have shot the best scores that I have in a long time. It may have something to do with using the same pistol and load 2 weekends in a row :roflol: I am going to try the 147 CMJ's next month for a Production/IDPA load. I never really thought of using 2 bullet weights for close or far targets. I think that would mess me up a little but maybe not more than normal :cheers: I appreciate the info guys. Thanks, Eric

I have some Montana Gold 121IFP that I would love to use in minor for my G34. Do you guys have any good loads for this bullet? I have Titegroup, WSF, and Solo 1000 powders to get started...just don't know where to start! :)

WSF seemed to give me inconsistent velocities with a wide spread (like 150 fps between shots at the extreme). Maybe the charge bar in my Dillon doesn't like that powder shape.

Hello: My 121 IFP load for a Glock 17 using Tite Group is 4.2grains, 1.140 OAL, Winchester WSP primers and gives me a 131PF at 90 degrees and 20% humidity. For the Glock 34 you could reduce the charge by 0.1-0.2 grains. I shot the 121's this weekend and have shot the best scores that I have in a long time. It may have something to do with using the same pistol and load 2 weekends in a row :roflol: I am going to try the 147 CMJ's next month for a Production/IDPA load. I never really thought of using 2 bullet weights for close or far targets. I think that would mess me up a little but maybe not more than normal :cheers: I appreciate the info guys. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric, I'll try this load out on my G34 for Production!

WSF seemed to give me inconsistent velocities with a wide spread (like 150 fps between shots at the extreme). Maybe the charge bar in my Dillon doesn't like that powder shape.

I use WSF for my Glock open load. The velocities aren't identical, but they aren't too different either between shots. Just like other powders WSF does change depending on the temperature though.

I'd think that you could start at the low end of 124/125 grain load data and work up -- looking for signs of pressure and shooting across a chrono to make sure you're achieving the velocity you need....

I am going to venture to say that this spread of 150fps is not being caused by the powder. I have used WSF with great success and with a spread of no more than 15 or 20 fps under the most extreme conditions. I am willing to bet a penny that the drastic difference in velocity that you are experiencing is caused by muzzle blast; you are probably shooting your pistol too close to the chrono and getting inconsistent readings.