Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Warrantee

Just curious, but when talk of buying a 1050 comes up, some board expert will offer the advice that the one year vs no BS warrantee is a consideration.

I've had two different Super 1050's, and have never had an issue. My opinion is that anything that doesn't break in the first year, likely never will, or you'll have had so much use from it that you'll not begrudge the cost of replacement.

Owners, what's your opinion?

Just curious, but when talk of buying a 1050 comes up, some board expert will offer the advice that the one year vs no BS warrantee is a consideration.

I've had two different Super 1050's, and have never had an issue. My opinion is that anything that doesn't break in the first year, likely never will, or you'll have had so much use from it that you'll not begrudge the cost of replacement.

Owners, what's your opinion?

The only problem I have had with mine is the case-feeder motor. It went out after about 7 years. I think lightning might have caused it. I had to buy a new motor for around $70.00, I think.

I also had to buy a case feeder motor for one at ~20 YEARS or so..... bent the stamped steel slider activation arm for the primer assem. one when I raunched down on the handle when it hung when a primer did not get fully deprimed. Straightened it back up and heated and quenched it to harden the metal and it has never happened again....

Obviously a case of excessive operator headspace on that one... :closedeyes:

Mine sure has been running for a couple decades ...virtually error free :)

The high cost parts...just dont wear out or fail...a few little plastic do-dahs have worn..plus a spring or two.

All in all...I bet I have spent under $5.00 per year in maintaining it :cheers:

Jim

I've had some small parts wear out, but the only expen$ive part was a shell plate (small but very annoying chip on the part that holds the case rim).

The most important thing is that even though you often have to pay, Dillon has parts available and gets them to you quickly - no waiting weeks like you will with some gun manufacturers.

If there is a no-BS warranty on the other presses, then it would mean the warranty on the 1050 is a BS warranty. I consider that "because some people use it commerically" to be BS - I suspect a more forthcoming approach would be "because competitive positioning does not indicate that we need to absorb this expense on the 1050 machine since there are no comparable products from other manufacturers".

Ah, for the old days when the Dillon salesman assured me that the 1 year limit would never be enforced on a home user except in cases of obvious signs of abuse of the press.

I think the motorized/electronic parts are only covered by 1 year regardless of the press?

I had the primer alarm go bad (just stopped working) on a 650. Called up Dillon but was still charged for the replacement.

I haven't had anything go wrong with the 3 1050's I've had.

I think the machine is made so well that if something breaks, it is most likely operator error.

I would not worry about the lack of life time warranty.

Mine sure has been running for a couple decades ...virtually error free :)

The high cost parts...just dont wear out or fail...a few little plastic do-dahs have worn..plus a spring or two.

All in all...I bet I have spent under $5.00 per year in maintaining it :cheers:

Jim

Exactly + 2.

be

Checking my tally sheet, my RL1050 is somewhere north of 157,000 rounds loaded by me, and it was used before I got it.

I think the largest piece I've had to replace was the primer swage rod.. actually I've not even done that yet, but it is chipped.

A while back the hollow bolt that drives the primer feed broke. I called Dillon and they sent me a few new ones free. I asked if there was a charge and the rep said "nah, those break".

Checking my tally sheet, my RL1050 is somewhere north of 157,000 rounds loaded by me, and it was used before I got it.

I think the largest piece I've had to replace was the primer swage rod.. actually I've not even done that yet, but it is chipped.

A while back the hollow bolt that drives the primer feed broke. I called Dillon and they sent me a few new ones free. I asked if there was a charge and the rep said "nah, those break".

Another one that kinda sums it up. Thanks Roy.

be

• 2 weeks later...
The little plastic tip on the primer tube is all I've ever had an issue with. It's the same as the one on the SDB but I told them it was for my 1050 and I'd pay for it but they send me half a dozen for free anyway.

Likewise here too.

No problems that weren't fixed by adjustments, other than the spent primer catcher with I modded by using a Remington .223 brass with the base cut off and plastic tubing.

HPIM0695-1.jpg

That idea came from a thread on the 650 on this forum.

Plus the addition of the KISS Bulletfedder.

• 5 months later...

I've owned four 1050's including one that I bought used and had to send in for a rebuild. The lack of a lifetime warranty on the 1050 would not be a factor in my decision to purchase one. My experiences with Dillon on my 1050's was that they were more than fair when it came to what they covered as a warranty issue. I paid for some parts that I replaced due to rust damage (the previous owner had left the press in an outside shed for some time) and they gave me quite a few parts that shouldn't have been covered even though I offered to pay for them.

I quit shooting pistols in competition some years ago and sold my 1050's to fund rifle projects. I am planning on getting back into pistol shooting upon my upcoming retirement and will compete again in Bullseye, PPC, and Action Pistol. I am going to order two Super 1050's for my practice and competition ammo. The warranty is not a factor in my decision. I don't expect many issues with a new press and believe Dillon will do the right thing if issues do surface. They always have.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by Marvin Gardens