Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les Paul

outerlimits

I can remember Pop listening to Chester and Lester when I was growing up. That was some good stuff. Never hears much of the stuff he did with Mary Ford, will have to look it up.

RIP Mr. Paul. Thanks for it all! :closedeyes:

Some of you may get a kick out of these photos. This is one of the oldest Les Paul's you're likely to see. In the late 80's, I bought this guitar and a few others from an older gentleman who used to play guitar in a square dance band back in the 50's. (I sold it in '97) see attached photos.

A little story comes along with this guitar...

It has no serial number and is marked with a number 2 on the back of the tuning head. It turns out that when Les Paul and Gibson (Norlin Music in the Chicago area) were first pitching this guitar to music stores, Les would travel all over the country to music conventions/shows in order to demonstrate and publicize the new Les Paul electrics. Occasionally one of these original guitars would get banged up or scratched / chipped etc... , and Les would send the guitar back to Norlin for a new one.

The damaged guitars were then repaired and refinished and marked with a "2" to indicate it was now a "second" and not brand new. They were routinely offered for sale to employees. Anyway, the wife of the man that sold me the guitar had worked for Norlin at that time and bought this guitar for him.

Because it was a "second" and was refinished (you can see the refinished paint worn down to the original finish on the back of the neck), the guitar was only worth $2500. Had it not been refinished and marked with the "2", I shudder to think what it might go for today. It has some of the earliest pickups you'll find and the bridge was pretty rare too.

R.I.P. Les Paul

Rick

P/S Another point of interest you may have missed... Les Paul was one of the original users of tape echo and multitrack effects and made them extremely popular.

Mike Battle (the inventor of the Echoplex) died in April of '08... '08... '08... '08... '08... '08

post-1691-1250286764_thumb.jpg post-1691-1250286779_thumb.jpg post-1691-1250286790_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickRak2000