Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Auto!!!!!!!!!!

texasag93

I got to shoot SEVERAL full auto and select fire weapons this past weekend and it was GREAT. I never really thought that I would care for that type of thing but I was wrong. I shot a MG40, mini Galial(sp?) in 5.56, Colt carbine in 9mm w/ select fire including full auto, HK 33(select fire version of 93?), 1919 belt-fed 30 cal., Bushmaster 5.56 converted to select fire, and a couple more I couldn't remember(they didn't impress me much I guess). I also shot something that I thought I would only read about; the P90 made by FN. Anyone seen this thing. Talk about Star Wars. Fires the 5.7x28 round at a rate of 950 or so per minute. It was cool. Shot the FN pistol that shoots the same round(semi-auto, boring). And the best thing I shot all day to me was the fabled GLOCK 18C. IF you ever get a chance to fire this weapon, you must. It is not what you would think. Before everyone starts asking questions about legality of all these, don't worry. Everything was legal, I just got lucky to go along for a demo to a local police department. FULL AUTO IS SO COOL!!! :P:P:P:P:P TXAG

It's cool till you have to buy the ammo...

It's even cooler when you don't have to buy the ammo, load the magazines or clean up the toys afterwards. ;)

Some of the federal government types will sometimes let civilians play with their toys, under supervision of course, because they get bored with them. Haven't figured that one out yet. :wacko: It's okay, though. It's my tax dollars at work. :D

Liota

I loaded plenty of magazines. Way more than I shot up. Forgot about the suppressed 10/22 and AR. They were neat to. We had an explosives dealer with something called tanerite? Two powders that when mixed blow up when shot. We destroyed three cars, 4 frigs, and several TVs. I am looking forward to the next trip. I learned from this trip, I will take lots of 9 and 5.56 next time. I really wanted to shoot a supressed MP5. Maybe next time. TXAG

I'm sorry I disappoint you Flex.

I can only guess that you have never been in the military and the same guess for Aggie 93. If you haven't, you might not share my feelings. IMO full auto weapons only have a place in the military and some police depts, but have NO sporting value for the average shooter other that entertainment value and like Aggie 93 says, WOW, that's cool. Machineguns and machinepistols only have one reason for existence and this isn't the forum to discuss it. I don't discount the WOW factor for those who have never had the opportunity to shoot them and am sorry if I took the shine off of Aggie93's full auto experience.

Jeff Cooper tells a story of one of his training experiences where two machinepistol students were the finalists in the shootoff for his week long class with those weapons. They were shooting a number of steel plates at 15 yds. Both were shooting MP5's and the winner was the guy who ran dry first, dropped the full auto weapon, made his stroke with his .45 and shot down the last plate. Hell, if you can't take down 6 plates with 30 rounds from 15 yds you don't need to be shooting a full auto weapon, and that includes almost everyone I know except Chuck Taylor, Clint Smith, and John Satterwhite, all of whom can really make a buzz gun talk.

Well, I've droned on for too long again. You'll have to agree though, it is tough sledding if you have to purchase your own ammo.

but have NO sporting value for the average shooter other that entertainment value and like Aggie 93 says, WOW, that's cool.

And thats not enough of a reason because?

Aggie,

Those things are pretty cool huh? My club has a full-auto shoot once a year. This year we pretty much had an armory on the table. Was able to play with a Mini-Uzi, MP5 and an Oly Arms 7" M4. The best one was the MP5, but the M4 was a close second. The Mini shot OK, but I don't like the open bolt system. It's also pretty cool to watch Grandmaster Phil Strader take a Beta MP5 mag and empty into a target without the gun or him moving.

Yeah, that shoot was one helluva lotta fun, but even more entertaining for me was watching Rudy Waldinger (think Arnold Swartzneger w/ a cowboy hat & boots) open up w/ the mini-Uzi; at first he shot nice controlled bursts at each target but soon enough Rudi "went Hollywood" & was wildly spraying bullets into the backstop (& occasioanally the targets!). I don't think the "spray method" was good sub-gun doctrine or a good combat tactic, but damn, it looked like Rudi was having a good time! BTW, for those who don't know Rudi, he finished 2nd in Revolver at the nationals, loosing only to Jerry Miculek, & his picture is on page 40 of the current Frontsight.

Carlos,

Say Hi to Rudy for me.

I've spent a lot of time at Second Chance, where everyone with a Class III gun could show up and blast away on the back range. (I knew of guys who loaded ammo all year, and never even shot the match. They'd pay their entry fee and spend the week on the back range blasting buzz guns.)

The variety of full auto guns I've shot surprizes even me. And then I got involved in law enforcement training. You'd be amazed at what has been confiscated, and languishes in departmental armories. Sometimes they'll get dragged out for some fun blasting. Two classes ago, an officer checked a BAR out of the armory to plink with at the end of a range day. The trouble with it was, it didn't work. Ned Christiansen and I had it apart, diagnosed, fixed, and running in ten minutes. It took almost that long to expend the dozen magazines the officer had brought.

Fun is fun, but I must admit I'm a bit jaded. Unless it is something exotic (howzabout a select-fire USAS 12 ga?) I don't get the adrenaline rush I used to.

Yes, the ammo disappears VERY quickly at 'full auto' rate. We have a rental Thompson at the indoor range, and anyone who 1.) has the buxx, and 2.) is willing to sign a waiver, may buy rounds by the magazine and (with supervision) go blast away at paper targets till the ammo (or the money) runs out. As we're located on Interstate 5, many Tommie users are simply folks on vacation cruising by and see the big readerboard. They love it. I see the Tommie in action A LOT. The owner sez it sees thousands upon thousands of rounds per year. The hired help is contantly refilling the Tommie's magazines. :P

Best Full auto I've shot:

Browning .50 Cal, belt fed, - better when mounted on an APC, as opposed to the tripod. On a good open range (ranges designed for anti-tank), you can easily hit targets (old trucks, APCs, and occasional squirrel.. opps scratch that) at 1,500m.. and it was free!

Just don't touch that barrel!

• 7 months later...

Dug this up from the last time I posted it. I went "FULL AUTO" again today! It was once again GREAT. I got to shoot everything that I missed out on last time. I got to shoot an M2. I would not want to be anywhere near the business end of that one. Shot the M60, mini Uzi, a Sig sub- machine gun(?), AK, supressed MP5, Thompson and a shorty 1919 that was louder than the M2. Once again, I had a blast. I highly recommend the experience if you ever have the opportunity. :D

TXAG

TXAG,

The suppressed weapons really impress me. I mean all you hear is the action cycling and what ever you are shooting at is torn up!!!!

But I wouldn't want to mislead you, I love to shoot a machine gun!!!!

dj

In the Army we would go to so many M-60, M249, M16, Mk-19 ranges (and the Army sure knows how to take the fun out of going to the range) that it would almost become tedious, but then it would occur to me that civilians would pay through the nose just to get to fire a couple belts through one of those, that made me appreciate it a little more.

Having recently burned a round or two downrange through a variety of late model model full auto weapons - the guns with the highest fun factor, even better than the Mk46/48, G36/36C, SiG 551 or a stack of M16/M4 variants - are the suppressed PDWs from HK (MP7) and FN (P90).

Almost completely silent, sky high cyclic rate, and tremendously accurate. And really, really small.

Might not be much good in a fight, but good grief are they ever a ball to shoot.

If you're not smiling after you empty a mag or two, you're doing something wrong.:wub:

They cr*p part is of course we can't buy one.

XSRDX, I don't care for the P90. It is to small and the controls weren't to my liking. It is fun to shoot though. I don't care for that odd little sight that keeps your head plastered to the top of the weapon. Now the integraly supressed MP5 was really cool. Second on my list was the Micro Galeil(?). The M2 is an excellent weapon but doesn't fit in a safe very well. TXAG

One of the bennies of having a television show is that the ammo is *free,* a nice reimbursed business expense!

I just love the P90 to death. It almost makes me want to get my own MAN FROM UNCLE briefcase just so I can have one. I think the SG show where I burn through FNH's 5.7 ammo supply is up iin about 3 weeks.

BTW, I got a Five-seveN pistol...perfect for drilling holes in plates!

mb

Hehehe.

I just got done with 2 weeks of Reserve Infantry Officer's Course training in Quantico. We went through about a zillion rounds of ammo for the M249 SAW and M240G, along with a bunch of M2 shooting as well.

Too much of the shooting was just from static positions, hosing down tanks, but the live fire squad attacks were pretty cool (imagine 10 guys running over rolling terrain, alternately getting prone and shooting, then getting up and running, for about 300 yards...STAY IN YOUR LANE!).

Best treats: Shooting with the new night vision optics. The AN-PVS 17 is a night vision red dot variable scope that mounts on a rail. The PAS 13 is a thermal sight that's really big. For M16s we now have a near infrared laser that can be seen using night vision goggles.

We also did a range where a fire team flanks an armored threat. Three guys suppress from behind a berm while one launches an AT-4 84mm rocket. Everyone rotated through the rocket, and then we started throwing grenades, which REALLY have no place in competition (because close counts).

Finally, shooting 60mm mortars really rocked!

Anyway, after all the full auto and large caliber shooting, I really miss my limited gun. :wub:

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog