Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benellisms

last year at the Benning 3 gun I was running remington deer slayer slugs (I got them for like .50 eacha couple years ago_)

anyway they kick fairly decently and when I ran this ammo my bolt/ carier woul go to the rear and lock back.

I polished the internals of my carrier assembly and greased them and with hot ammo the gun still locks the carrier/bolt back.

I think I need to replace the carrier spring, is this right?

PS the gun runs fine with birdshot and milder slugs

UNPOSSIBLE - spaghetti guns never malfunction :roflol:

Everything mechanical is subject to failure! To be honest, the reason I shoot a Benelli, is, it's easier to load than my Winchester Super X........Model 1.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Man I am sooo sick of Benelli questions. This is the 4th one this year!!! :roflol: Couple if things going on here, a mag spring a bit on the weak side, a bit of a sharp edge on the carrier dog, and .....maybe a weak carrier spring!

The BEST lifter mod...(out side of welding it up to prevent Benelli thumb ) is to bevel the inside back of the "slot" with a round file. This simple little thing can help a marginal mag spring work, and sure helps full power stuff cycle ( first time I posted this little tid-bit so take heed). Lightly breaking the edge of the seconed step down on the carrier dog also helps this whole thing, and a GOOD mag spring works good too!

Edited by kurtm

last year at the Benning 3 gun

Stick with those. Use the high power stuff at practice time. Learned some time ago never use different/unproven ammo at a big match.....

Kurt

I don't see the term "carrier dog" used in my Benelli manual, could you explain what it is?

When you say file the rear inside of the slot, you are referring to the lifter slot, right? In the manual I think they refer to the lifter as the "carrier".

Tom

Edited by TomMcC

AHHH...what,s in a name?? the carrier dog is the little thingy that sticks up on the left hand side of the trigger group that makes the "carrier" lift...looks kind of like a "dog ear". Lifter slot?? I can only see one slot when I look at the underside of a Benelli so yea, lifter slot/carrrier slot. Look at the under side of the flapper/carrier/lifter/and then take it out and bevel the INSIDE of the back of the lifter/carrier/flapper do hicky with a file. Kind of like where a shell might go when released from the mag tube as it slides back along the SLOT/ releif cut/ straight line guidence cut/ etc.

By the by... the thingy that carries the shells up to the chamber is the carrier, AKA.... lifter, flaper thingy, Benelli thumb cutter...etc. Benlli calls all this stuff by vastly different names, so I am doing my best :wacko: KurtM

AHHH...what,s in a name?? the carrier dog is the little thingy that sticks up on the left hand side of the trigger group that makes the "carrier" lift...looks kind of like a "dog ear". Lifter slot?? I can only see one slot when I look at the underside of a Benelli so yea, lifter slot/carrrier slot. Look at the under side of the flapper/carrier/lifter/and then take it out and bevel the INSIDE of the back of the lifter/carrier/flapper do hicky with a file. Kind of like where a shell might go when released from the mag tube as it slides back along the SLOT/ releif cut/ straight line guidence cut/ etc.

By the by... the thingy that carries the shells up to the chamber is the carrier, AKA.... lifter, flaper thingy, Benelli thumb cutter...etc. Benlli calls all this stuff by vastly different names, so I am doing my best :wacko: KurtM

Yep,Yep I see those hooma-dingys.

Thanks

Tom

• 4 months later...
last year at the Benning 3 gun I was running remington deer slayer slugs (I got them for like .50 eacha couple years ago_)

anyway they kick fairly decently and when I ran this ammo my bolt/ carier woul go to the rear and lock back.

I polished the internals of my carrier assembly and greased them and with hot ammo the gun still locks the carrier/bolt back.

I think I need to replace the carrier spring, is this right?

This is caused by a weak magazine spring. This is an inertia operated gun and so I know you understand the principal of inertia which makes explaining this easier. What is happening with the bolt/inertia spring, ALSO happens in the magazine tube. If recoil is strong enough, the shotgun shell in the tube wants to stay in place while the gun moves backwards (inertia). If the spring is weak, it is allowed to do so to whatever extent. My M4S90 would do this (bolt lock-back, or appear to) when I ran a full-length tube with the OEM spring and shot heavy buckshot loads. Replace the magazine spring and go from there. You may need a different spring as well, but the mag-tube spring is the most common culprit when someone says "Last shell/heavy loads/etc."