Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire vs Miculek comp?

Blaster

I have not used a Surefire but there is a poll on another thread here where there seems to be a bunch of guys who love them. Go to http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86083

I had a miculek comp briefly until I changed over to the SAW Custom. I did not believe the miculek comp was nearly as effective but YMMV.

Edited by Charles Bond

The Miculek comp is hard to beat when you factor what it costs. The Surefire is a good brake as well but very expensive and still far behind the SJC Titan and Triangle Rolling Thunder which are the two tops in my book. The SAW brake works well too. I would rank it #3.

The Miculek brake becomes very effective with a 3/16" hole drilled in between the first and second baffle.

The Miculek comp is hard to beat when you factor what it costs. The Surefire is a good brake as well but very expensive and still far behind the SJC Titan and Triangle Rolling Thunder which are the two tops in my book. The SAW brake works well too. I would rank it #3.

The Miculek brake becomes very effective with a 3/16" hole drilled in between the first and second baffle.

interesting, can you explain why?

I totally love the Surefire. I used the JP Benny Cooley for years, then go a Surefire suppressor so needed the brake on most of my rifles. It is flat on everything from the 10.5-16.1-18.5. I love them, and they are as effective as anything out there IMO. If you are on a budget, the Miculek is fine, but at a price in between it and the Surefire, the JP Bennie Cooley is better.

Edited by fomeister

I totally love the Surefire. I used the JP Benny Cooley for years, then go a Surefire suppressor so needed the brake on most of my rifles. It is flat on everything from the 10.5-16.1-18.5. I love them, and they are as effective as anything out there IMO. If you are on a budget, the Miculek is fine, but at a price in between it and the Surefire, the JP Bennie Cooley is better.

I tried the Surefire Brake on my 10.5 without the can.....HOLY CRAP YOU NEED TO TRIPLE PLUG. I really like the mounting system for Surefire cans. Just not fond of the price that Surefire demands due to their name.

It adds a slight bit of needed down pressure and helps negate some of the torque.

It is extremely noticable when shooting at 50 yards and beyond. Inside 50....its hard to see the added benefit.

I shoot a heavy rifle, but I am getting the 2 o' clock push, very noticeable and irritating.

I have also ordered the JP low mass system, and I am shooting a relatively fast powder which is what I want, but I am not happy yet with my comp/load combination…

If you have any tips to eliminate the 2 o'clock push please let me know.

TKS,

Sandro

It adds a slight bit of needed down pressure and helps negate some of the torque.

It is extremely noticable when shooting at 50 yards and beyond. Inside 50....its hard to see the added benefit.

I shoot a heavy rifle, but I am getting the 2 o' clock push, very noticeable and irritating.

I have also ordered the JP low mass system, and I am shooting a relatively fast powder which is what I want, but I am not happy yet with my comp/load combination…

If you have any tips to eliminate the 2 o'clock push please let me know.

TKS,

Sandro

Try the hole in the top but start at 1/8" and work up slowly. I actually used numbered drill bits but I don't have my chart handy for reference.

Surefire muzzle brake is $140 no dealer discount.I currently have miculek comp. Anyone shoot both brakes? Blaster

I called my contacts at SF last week, they dont expect the MB556's in for at least 4-6 weeks too.

If your looking for the Surefire 212A(works with suppresor), I believe I have seen them for around 85.00 in phx, AZ. I use this one on my 10" and its very controllable, especially in FA.

LaRue has the Surefire for $115... FWIW...

Try the hole in the top but start at 1/8" and work up slowly. I actually used numbered drill bits but I don't have my chart handy for reference.

Could you post a picture off the modification?

Do you drill the hole in between the two ports (in the middle off the baffle) or do you drill it in the second (mid) port?

Thanks,

David

Could you post a picture off the modification?

Do you drill the hole in between the two ports (in the middle off the baffle) or do you drill it in the second (mid) port?

Thanks,

David

Drill the hole right into the first baffle down into the center hole. The baffle between the first and second chamber. I no longer have my modified Miculek. I gave it to a friend or I would have already thrown a pic up.

I've run SF Brakes on a bunch of guns and absollutely love them. It's waaayyyyy better than the Miculek comp. I haven't run one on a 10.5 inch gun. I do run one on my 12.5" work rifle but that almost always has the can on it too. I did play with it for awhile on a 7.5 inch gun before I suppressed it. That one would rattle your teeth in your head.

I've run SF Brakes on a bunch of guns and absollutely love them. It's waaayyyyy better than the Miculek comp. I haven't run one on a 10.5 inch gun. I do run one on my 12.5" work rifle but that almost always has the can on it too. I did play with it for awhile on a 7.5 inch gun before I suppressed it. That one would rattle your teeth in your head.

Chuck:

For a slight thread drift could you share with us how quiet the surefire comp is with the suppressor attached vs a comp that spins on directly to the barrel? My experience is that the screw on suppressors are always more quiet but I have no experience at all with Surefures.

As to the effectiveness of comps I have found that some comps work better with barrels of different lengths and there is a difference between what works best with a 16" vs an 18" or 20". Where in your opinion does the Surefire fall in working with the longer barrels of 16 " or more?

Not sure, all the screw on cans I've used have been on 7.5 or 10.5 bbls. I haven't used the Surefire on anything shorter than 12.5 inches. I really can't tell the difference between them. I know the Surefire on my 12.5 doesn't hurt without hearing protection and neither does the YHM on my 7.5.

Charles.....in reference to screw on cans and QD style cans......I can't really offer any definitive information as to the truth of sound reduction between the two types. I have a Johns Guns can that threads on. I have a couple AAC cans and a Surefire K model. The Johns Gun can is much louder than the others I have(and a buttload heavier). I prefer my AAC cans over anything I have used. They are the quietest and have been the most durable. The Surefire has an awesome mounting system and their mounts are top quality. I really like the option of having their muzzle brake as a mount for a suppressor. Something AAC has just released but not as effective as the Surfire IMO. I keep the Surefire Brake on my 18" SPR configured rifle. It works great on that configuration.

The Surefire brake did a great job of taming the 10.5 when I mounted it. Extremely easy to control in select fire mode(full auto). But....it was a freaking fire breather once the unburned powder ignited out the end of the barrel. With the suppressor attached and on FA.....fire would pour out of the ejection port after about a 6 or 7 round burst as the back pressure blew it out. It was freaky. Another thing I really like about the Surefire brake as a mount is that it acts as a blast baffle for the gun and it will prolong the life of the inconel baffle.

And yes.....different length barrels react differently with certain comps. I tested the Surefire against my SJC Titan that I currently run on my 18" rifle gas gun to see if I thought it would be a more viable option for my competition rifle but the performance of the SJC was far above the Surefire so I relegated the Surefire brake to my SPR rifle. I have not found a brake to date that is as effective as the SJC Titan. I continuosly waste time trying to make one that is better but have not been able. I have a drawer full of comps and designs I have made that look good in theory but just flat do not perform like the Titan.

The Titan is still relatively new and not marketed very well. I expect if it were to ever be marketed better than just word of mouth that it would quickly be known as the number one comp on the market......and most definitely the loudest.

Charles.....in reference to screw on cans and QD style cans......I can't really offer any definitive information as to the truth of sound reduction between the two types. I have a Johns Guns can that threads on. I have a couple AAC cans and a Surefire K model. The Johns Gun can is much louder than the others I have(and a buttload heavier). I prefer my AAC cans over anything I have used. They are the quietest and have been the most durable. The Surefire has an awesome mounting system and their mounts are top quality. I really like the option of having their muzzle brake as a mount for a suppressor. Something AAC has just released but not as effective as the Surfire IMO. I keep the Surefire Brake on my 18" SPR configured rifle. It works great on that configuration.

The Surefire brake did a great job of taming the 10.5 when I mounted it. Extremely easy to control in select fire mode(full auto). But....it was a freaking fire breather once the unburned powder ignited out the end of the barrel. With the suppressor attached and on FA.....fire would pour out of the ejection port after about a 6 or 7 round burst as the back pressure blew it out. It was freaky. Another thing I really like about the Surefire brake as a mount is that it acts as a blast baffle for the gun and it will prolong the life of the inconel baffle.

And yes.....different length barrels react differently with certain comps. I tested the Surefire against my SJC Titan that I currently run on my 18" rifle gas gun to see if I thought it would be a more viable option for my competition rifle but the performance of the SJC was far above the Surefire so I relegated the Surefire brake to my SPR rifle. I have not found a brake to date that is as effective as the SJC Titan. I continuosly waste time trying to make one that is better but have not been able. I have a drawer full of comps and designs I have made that look good in theory but just flat do not perform like the Titan.

The Titan is still relatively new and not marketed very well. I expect if it were to ever be marketed better than just word of mouth that it would quickly be known as the number one comp on the market......and most definitely the loudest.

Thanks Todd. It is posts like yours that makes this forum worth reading.

What do you guys think of the MSTN QC Brake? Taran Butler helped with the design of it and after talking with him about it I switched from my Miculek brake to the MSTN one. I've been nothing but happy with it and think it performs very well.

I had one and liked it.....its what gave me the idea to drill the hole in the Miculek brake. I tried the first hole in the Miculek brake at an angle and off to the right side to counter torgue and it actually worsened the Miculek so I tapped it and installed a set screw and drilled it in the center and it worked great. I think the larger design of the first port of the Miculek brake helps balance it a little differently than the MSTN/PRi brake. But the MSTN brake works quite well but I would still choose something else. I do like its efficiency in a short design.