Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 for 9mm minor?

Adam P.

I have read through several dozen threads about HS-6 on this board and others for major loads with this powder, but 3 of my manuals show data for standard 9mm loads. I am working up 2 new loads with Hornady 124gr XTP and Sierra 125gr FMJ. I have a ton of Bullseye, but ran low or out of 2 other powders I use for my IDPA loads. Local store only had HS-6 on the shelf so I picked up a pound to try with the above mentioned bullets. Anyone have any expirence with HS-6 for 9mm minor loads? If so what were your results, good or bad? Please share your data also if you have a load that works.

Thanks

I have read through several dozen threads about HS-6 on this board and others for major loads with this powder, but 3 of my manuals show data for standard 9mm loads. I am working up 2 new loads with Hornady 124gr XTP and Sierra 125gr FMJ. I have a ton of Bullseye, but ran low or out of 2 other powders I use for my IDPA loads. Local store only had HS-6 on the shelf so I picked up a pound to try with the above mentioned bullets. Anyone have any expirence with HS-6 for 9mm minor loads? If so what were your results, good or bad? Please share your data also if you have a load that works.

Thanks

Adam, I don't have any minor loads with HS6, but I bet you could

use up some of that Bullseye with sub-minor loads - if you don't

need to make the 125 pf.

Jack

Thanks

Adam, I don't have any minor loads with HS6, but I bet you could

use up some of that Bullseye with sub-minor loads - if you don't

need to make the 125 pf.

Jack

Really need to make PF. I tried to get thre with Bullseye and these bullets, but it wasn't happening. Really hoping to get there with HS-6 because I don't know if my local store will ever get there shelves filled up with powder any time soon. They have been out of pistol powder for 6 months now, and they say they don't even know when they will get any in. Online sources seem to be out as well, so I am stuck with what I have for now.

5.7 gr of HS-6 under 125 gr LSWC (Lyman 356402 Cast from WW) will get you 130PF. STandard Deviation 10. Load was accurate. You will have to work up slightly if you are pushing jacketed bullets. Loads shot over a F1 Chrony.

Take Care

Bob

Per my notes, I used 5.4 gr HS-6 under MG 124 gr JHP for a 133.2 PF. Very consistent and accurate in my Glock 34. Measured with a Chrony. Its also a pretty dirty load.

When comparing my loads to others on the Enos site, I sometimes question how accurate my RCBS scale is, so be sure to work your loads up safely.

Bill

you are looking at alot of dirt, unburnt powder , extra recoil and noise, I have data that shows 4.4 grs of bulleseye under a 124 gold dot making 1059 from a 4" barrel. I would think you would be way better off with the bulleseye. Hit and miss availability and constantly haveing to make what they have work instead of buying what I wanted is why I gave up on gun stores long agao. Buy from Powder valley and buy in bulk,

I run HS-6 in my 9mm open steel gun with 6.5 grains and a 125 lrn at about 1160, the gun runs great, very accurate. The can has this load information on the label for 9mm, 6.8gr, 124gr Sie. FMJ, Win case, CCI500, COL 1.090, VEL 1169, maximum loads-reduce 10% to start. Go to Hodgon's web site and they will have more data.

The powder meters very constant thru Dillon 550.

My open gun is a Para-ordinance 9mm built by Jim Anglin, this load keeps the comp clean.

Just a little update:

I loaded the 125gr FMJ using the hs-6. Stared at 6.4 and went to 6.8 out of Hodgdon's manual. The following load rocked out of my stock Glock 34 and wasn't very dirty:

mixed brass

125gr Sierra 125gr FMJ

WSP

6.6gr of hs-6

oal of 1.12

Haven't chrono it yet, but it is a super accurate load.

Tried Bullseye with the 124gr XTP's and didn't get very good results. They weren't very accurate. My first batch with hs-6 were mouse farts. Per my Hornady manual, 5.4gr was the start, and it barely cycled my G34 and it was dirty. Working on 2nd attempt now. I will post the results.

• 1 month later...

Hello Adam, Here are some loads that I have used over the years in USPSA's Production Div.

HS-6 6.4 grs. Star .356 Dia. FMJ 124 Gr. O.A.L. 1.150 PF= 139.7

HS-6 6.2 grs. Star .356 Dia. FMJ 124 Gr. O.A.L. 1.150 PF= 131.3

HS-6 6.3 grs. Star .356 Dia. FMJ 124 Gr. O.A.L. 1.150 PF= 134.3

HS-6 6.4 grs. Win. FMJRN .355 Dia. 124 Gr. O.A.L. 1.150 PF= 135.6

These loads were accurate and reliable but dirty. I have since changed to Precision 147 Gr. FPL coated, backed by 3.5 grs. of Vhita N330 with an O.A.L. of 1.134. It gives a PF of 132.8. This load is much cleaner and the bullets much cheaper than FMJ.

I used a Pro-Tech Chrono for all my testing & all rounds were shot through my Glock 34.

Have fun, shoot straight, shoot often & be safe

Hello Adam, Here are some loads that I have used over the years in USPSA's Production Div.

These loads were accurate and reliable but dirty. I have since changed to Precision 147 Gr. FPL coated, backed by 3.5 grs. of Vhita N330 with an O.A.L. of 1.134. It gives a PF of 132.8. This load is much cleaner and the bullets much cheaper than FMJ.

I used a Pro-Tech Chrono for all my testing & all rounds were shot through my Glock 34.

I too load mine very similar to these and they are very accurate just dirty>

Have you guys noticed any correlation between the pf and dirtiness of a powder. I used to run HS-6 in 9mm and when I loaded it soft, it seemed to be dirtier. The hotter I loaded toward 165+ pf, the cleaner it became, Not VV320 clean but not nearly as dirty. The same also holds true for my TiteGroup loads. The higher the pf, the cleaner the load.

Just an observation,

fwiw

dj

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis,

I have noticed the same thing with HS6. At 166 it is quite dirty. At 175 where I load it gets cleaner. I suspect it has something to do with rising pressure.

That sounds like an excelent question for Guy

Same here, When I use it at low pressure and lower velocities....Dirty

Loading 6.6 grains with 125 JHP Zero's . As noted very accurate, but dirty. However I loaded some today with Win Small Mag Primers, wondering if this will clean things up a bit??

Loading 6.6 grains with 125 JHP Zero's . As noted very accurate, but dirty. However I loaded some today with Win Small Mag Primers, wondering if this will clean things up a bit??

I have been using SPM primers in mine for a while.....helps out a little I think