Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff I should buy for M&P Pro 9

B_Seehawer

I'm getting a Pro 9 this weekend and would like to use it for IPSC. What seems to be the best holster for the money? I haven't found much in Midway. It would be the ideal stock gun but I like my big mags and high capacity. All the stuff I have right now is for Glocks and I'm not sure if anything is going to be compatible. So what would you do right off the bat if you had a little cash? Springs, guiderods, etc...

ganderman

I'm getting a Pro 9 this weekend and would like to use it for IPSC..

Do you mean USPSA? If I recall, the M&P Pro is not legal for "IPSC" Production class... it's spec'ed with a 4.5# trigger, and IPSC Production has a 5# minimum.

But as far as recommended mods, I'd go with a trigger job from one of the many good M&P 'smiths (Cyrwus, Burwell, etc.), a Speed Shooter Specialties tungsten guide rod (the $46 version for the 4.25" M&P, not the 5" version), and a 13# ISMI guide rod spring. Other than that, you may want to consider some grip stippling, a narrower front sight (I'd go with a .115"wide x .180" high with a .040" f/o rod). Also, SSS carries the high capacity base pads and extra power mag springs...

+1 on the Blade Tech...

Edited by Xfactor

I am about to switch from my G34 with 133k rounds through it to an M&P Pro. I've been wanting one but was waiting till my Glock was starting to wear pretty good and give issues before spending money I really didn't have.

I will put a set of Dawson Adjustable sights on it and do a trigger job on it. I'll use the new SSS Ti plunger and one of their extractors and springs too. And I'm sure I will respring the recoil spring to my liking as well. I will draw it from a Ready Tactical DOH holster. I will stipple the front strap and texture the rear grip panel to my liking also.

I started shooting Production with an M&P two years ago and ditched it for a Glock because of a few malfunctions at a Section match. But I've never shot a gun better than the M&P. The Glock has just always worked 100% for me but now she has seen her better days and I am gonna try the Pro out.

Bladetech DOH, a trigger job after about 500 to 1000 rounds have gone through it and an adjustable FO sight are all good investments. The most important one, however, is ammo! Practice, practice and practice some more to get used to the new gun's ergonomics, control locations and timing.

1. Really like the Comp Tac holster and pouches. (the Glock magazine pouches are not going to cross well) #12 for the M&P.

2. Sights I left my gun to Dan Burwell for rear and fiber front sight.

3. Trigger I left my gun to Dan Burwell for trigger work standard package.

4. You may want to get a few more magazines (I like to have 6 for each gun)

5. You may want to changed the recoil spring to #13 pound (I used the factory guide rod and a #13 pound ISMI spring)

All in all you should be good.

They run great out of the box too.

I'd go with a Blade Tech DOH holster and Ready Tactical mag pouches from CPWSA. The RT pouches are inexpensive and you can stack them very close to one another on your belt. Check out Speed Shooters Specialties for parts. A steel guiderod and 13lb spring won't cost much and seem to feel a little smoother than stock to me. You can do your own trigger job, or just touch up individual parts, using Dan Burwell's online instructions...easy stuff. I'll post the link when I get home. I swapped my front sight out to a Dawson FO, but that was the only change save the guide rod. R,

I just got Blade-Tech DOH. It seems like a good holster. You'll want the tigger worked on. I looked on the production list, the PRO is on it. I've never seen anything on trigger pull.

IPSC Mandates a 5# trigger pull. USPSA does not.

:angry2:

I just got Blade-Tech DOH. It seems like a good holster. You'll want the tigger worked on. I looked on the production list, the PRO is on it. I've never seen anything on trigger pull.

Got it thanks

Sorry, I meant USPSA I think. New......

Why the 4.5" guide rod and not the 5"?

ganderman

Here's the link to the trigger job. I don't see any reason to use a tungsten guide rod with a 5" 9mm...the gun doesn't flip much with 135PF loads as it is. I put this guide rod in mine and it's worked perfectly:

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/cat...;type=Stainless Steel Guide Rod, Non-Captured, S&W M&P 9L & 9 Pro

Why the 4.5" guide rod and not the 5"?

The Pro is designed to work with standard size (4.25" gun) guide rods, so the standard length tungsten rod works quite nicely... balances perfectly. The longer guide rod is a bit too heavy for most folks tastes.

The stainless guide rod that Bart recommends is another good way to go if you'd prefer to keep it lighter still (plus it's $30 cheaper)

Edited by Xfactor

Nevco Targets makes a good magwell/basepad combo too http://www.nevcotargets.com/swmp.html

When I got my gun I got

1. Magwell & mag extensions

2. Competition trigger job via Dan Burwell (He did an amazing job)

3. Tungsten guide rod (I went with a 5") & 13# spring

4. Bladetech DOH holster

5. CR Speed Mag Pouches (soon to be replaced with DA mag pouches)

At some point, I might replace the sights, but at this point, I am fairly happy with what came from the factory.

I'd go with a Blade Tech DOH holster and Ready Tactical mag pouches from CPWSA. The RT pouches are inexpensive and you can stack them very close to one another on your belt. Check out Speed Shooters Specialties for parts. A steel guiderod and 13lb spring won't cost much and seem to feel a little smoother than stock to me. You can do your own trigger job, or just touch up individual parts, using Dan Burwell's online instructions...easy stuff. I'll post the link when I get home. I swapped my front sight out to a Dawson FO, but that was the only change save the guide rod. R,
What he said. I use the DOH and the ready tactical pouches. They are very smooth and fast and are more than good for production. Plus they are cheap enough you can carry 5 or so without breaking the bank. I love the holster and pouches. I also run a 13# spring and the same guiderod from SSS as mentioned. Pretty good setup. I put some red FO rod in the front sight and it works much better for me. A few patches of grip tape for traction also. I will get my trigger Burwellized over the winter since I don't like the long reset. I think the trigger is pretty good except for that. But as someone said before put a thousand or more down the tube before making a final call on the trigger as mine got much better.

Order some compact mag basepads (one of the cheapest improvements I made). Shoot it alot. And read this forum just as much.

I am in the process of having an M&P Pro built for USPSA and IDPA right now. This is what I did.

Bud's Gun Shop: M&P Pro 9

Speed Shooter Specialties: Dawson Precision adjustable rear and .100 plain black front sight, extra power extractor spring

Dan Burwell: Had above items mailed directly to Dan for installation. Having Dan also perform his standard trigger job and

go through the gun.

Comp-Tac : Belt holster and 5 Comp-Tac single mag pouches

Botach Tactical: 6 extra magazines

Lots of Montana Gold Bullets . I'm going to experiment with 124's and 147's Titegroup and Solo 1000 powders.

I think I'm good to go!

Edited by baerburtchell

No one has mentioned spare parts yet, or snap caps.

For spares, I have a striker assembly that lives in the range bag. I also picked up a bunch of spares from someone selling a package online, got a sear, trigger assy, etc for cheap. Strikers have a history of being a consumable item, especially with dryfire practice. Which leads into snapcaps, get some.

Other than that, I'm with the general concensus so far, Blade Tech Stingray holster (with or without DOH, I went without so it's IDPA leagal, no worries with USPSA on this), mag pouches of your choice (I have a Blade Tech double pouch and 4 single kydex pouches I purchased from the M&P Store for $14 each that are pretty slick), and lots of ammo. I'll echo what others have said on shooting a bunch before deciding on a trigger job, mine smoothed out greatly with use and is no pretty durn nice. Maybe someday down the road I'll get a trigger job, or mess with mine a bit, but for now I'm happy with it just like it is. Run the stock springs and guide rod unless you have a problem cycling under powered loads, I tired a steel uncaptured guide rod and 13 lb spring, went back to stock since I'm shooting off the shelf ammo and the lighter spring didn't bring the muzzle down as quick as I felt it should, your milage may vary. I replaced the FO in my front sight, paid attention to get a nice small blob on the end of it and like it a lot better than stock now, so the factory sights will stay until I get bored and try something else, for now they work just fine for me.

Occasionaly deals on mags will turn up in the classifieds around the web, keep your eyes open and be ready to jump on em when you find em. Lets just say I have a few and leave it at that, I can't pass up a deal. Anything under $25 isn't a bad price, but you can find em for $20 ea if you keep an eye out and are quick on the draw.

I'm getting a Pro 9 this weekend and would like to use it for IPSC. What seems to be the best holster for the money? I haven't found much in Midway. It would be the ideal stock gun but I like my big mags and high capacity. All the stuff I have right now is for Glocks and I'm not sure if anything is going to be compatible. So what would you do right off the bat if you had a little cash? Springs, guiderods, etc...

ganderman

BladeTech Stingray holster get it with the DOH (you can always take it off for IDPA). I also like BladeTech's tech-loc single mag pouches, they way they are made they space out around the belt perfectly. I had problems with the ready tac and the I-shot's getting too close to each other (then you snag the mag behind).

I do not recomend running anything other than stock weight springs, if you pet load doesn't run the gun it is probably running th edge of minor and should be turned up anyway. The light springs are a problem waiting to happen (and it will sooner or later probably in a match).

as for the trigger job I wouldn't shoot one without it :roflol:

been shooting my Pro for about a year in local competitions. Added a 13 lb. recoil spring and stainless steel guide rod because all of my favorite loads (around 131 pf) would stovepipe my Pro, not my 3 other M&P's at all. Also added some Arrendondo +5 base pads and extended springs. Love the stock Pro trigger and sights. Added grip tape to frame.

Glockworld.com carries a tungsten captive guide rod for Glock 17's that is a drop in part on an M&P. For a few dollars more they will even mount the spring for you. Check them out.

True, but the Pro is currently ON the IPSC approved list, since the 2009 S&W catalog has it listed with a 6.5lbs trigger.

Anyone know if this is a typo or a change by S&W?