Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Small Pistol Primers

Duane Thomas

A common litany these days but I'm having trouble finding my preferred Federal Small Pistol Primers. However I do have a line on some Remington SPPs. Got a class coming up this weekend at which I'd love be shooting my Glock 17. If not, I can always whip out one of the 1911s and fire factory .45 ball (I've got a lot of that). What can I say? I love the Glock. Can anyone who has experience with both tell me how Remingotn SPP compares to Federal for sensitivity, and whether or not you'd expect ignition reliability in a Glock with a light striker spring?

""""""Remington SPP compares to Federal for sensitivity, and whether or not you'd expect ignition reliability in a Glock with a light striker spring?""""""""

I have been using Winchester primers and have not found any of them to buy for a long time,

I have found some Fed SPP and they work as well as the Win.

Not apples and oranges.

But if someone adds a reply that, the Remington SPPs. Work the same as the Win SPP… you’re good to go.

On the primer issue I have an assortment, of many brands, these days I’m not picky about,, brand, I buy whatever I can get my hands on.

My Ar,,,, and Glock’s,, run, trigger jobs and lighter springs,, I have not had a problem yet.

I stay away from any magnum primer for this reason.

That might not be much help,,, but I feel your pain.

Jim M ammo

Federal is definitely the most sensitive and I think Remington is somewhere in the middle, a little softer than CCI and Winchester. I got away from my beloved Federal because in my major 9 Glock open guns I would pierce the primers, so I went to Winchester then Wolf and haven't had any problems. And my triggers are very light, one coil clipped off a 4# striker. If you have time buy them load some up and try them if the don't work you shouldn't any trouble getting rid of them, then grab the .45 .

Remington primers aren't bad if you want to cut the crap out of your breechface from gas leaking around them (38 Super/old power factor...ask me how I know).

Contact Bobby at Freedom Gunworks as I think he's got Federal Small Pistol primers.

Rich

In my testing, Remington SPP's have given me very unreliable std deviations. With 9mm minor test ammo, all charges weighted for consistancy, I have had these primers give me one round at 1050 and another at 90 and the gambit in between. Every time I test these primers, I get the above.

They are about in the range of Win primers for sensitivity. For the money, I would rather have Wolf, Win, or Fed primers.

• 3 weeks later...

I loaded some major 40 with RPP's and then absentmindedly fired them in my light trigger S&W 610 revo.. I was completely expecting a light strike or two and I managed to get through an entire match with no surprises. I'd usually rate them about 1 or 2 per hundred reliability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Is everyone still having trouble with Remington SP primers? I've shot several thousand and not had any trouble. Am I the exception?

Same here. I have shot several thousand and never had a problem. I do, however, use Federal primers for my daughter's revolver.

I have only loaded a few thousand rounds with Rem. primers and they have worked the same as every other (proper primer for the application) I have ever tried. Perfectly.

It may be that I set my primers with a distinct flat on the top that extends all the way out into the rounded shoulders - not quite to the point to where you can actually see the anvil through the cup surface....

Apparently YMMV.... :)

I have only loaded a few thousand rounds with Rem. primers and they have worked the same as every other (proper primer for the application) I have ever tried. Perfectly.

It may be that I set my primers with a distinct flat on the top that extends all the way out into the rounded shoulders - not quite to the point to where you can actually see the anvil through the cup surface....

Apparently YMMV.... :)

Whew! Now I feel better. With the shortage, all I've been able to find is Rem primers, so that's what I've been using. Anyone else want to elaborate with what exactly their problems were with the Rem SP?

I have a Vanek classic trigger with reduced power FP spring in my G34 which worked flawless with Fed primers. Ran out and could only get Rem SPP and then started having quite a few light strikes. I put in the medium power spring which solved the problem. It's great that he includes this spring which provides a quick fix rather than frustration. I finally had some more Fed primers come in on backorder and looking forward to using those again.

Edited by JimmyE