Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Needs A 1911

skeeter

I would have to disagree with you, the 1911 is a must have for everyone, just becuz it is a classic. But when it comes to matches, I always bring out my g35 :) . It functions in all conditions. The best one was during one match, the start position was prone to shoot thru a super low port at a 35yds plate, after that I got up and ran toward the next shooting position, lost my balance and fell forward, the g35 muzzle took a dip to the fine riverbed sand, I got up, just shook it and finished the 40-rds course without a hint of problem. Try that with a 1911 action.

Pacman

When the 1911 was the handgun of choice for the US Govt and its soldiers, I think the testing was a bit more severe than "dipping the muzzle" in some sand. It could take it then and I feel sure it can take it now.

at our indiana section match 2 glocks finished 2nd and 3rd in limited. and they didn't back in to the spots as we had 6 masters and 5 A class shooters there. i know it's the singer and not the song but it was nice to see glocks at the top.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!

:P:P:P

As far as trying that sand dipping trick with a 1911, go to 1911forum.com and find the sand/dirt/mud tests that Larry Vickers put 4 guns through. A custom 1911, box stock 1911, Glock 21, and HK USP.

Believe it or not, the Glock was the worst and became what Larry considered a jam-o-matic. HK USP and custom fit 1911 did the best, but even the stock 1911 did better than the Glock 21. No bashing here though, I love my GLocks and carry them, depend my life on one or several every day.

Oh not, not this discussion again <_<

This is one of the reasons why I am not frequenting GlockTalk anymore.

I own a 3rd gen G17, a S&W 686 and a Win M1300. I am very happy with all of them.

But let's get one thing straight here:

GLOCKS ARE NOT PERFECT. NOR IS ANY OTHER GUN. (by definition !)

It's what is right for the shooter. At this point in time I perform best in IPSC PD with a G17, but one of my fellow competitors beats the H&ll out of me with his CZ75 (a type of gun I have owned previously).

To each his (or her) own I say :)

As you can tell by the passionate remarks, this topic can be prettty incendiary.

Even me, the mellow, calm, insightful Tightloop; had my Nomex on and zipped up when I saw this thread. Thought maybe I had miscalculated the days and it was Flame Fest Friday already.

The incendiary Glock Demon will not go away. It gives us something to goof with. That's cool. I've done both the plastic side and the 1911 side. Everyone knows where Sig Lady stands.

When someone here whips out the dreaded Glock, it's ALWAYS Friday!! :angry:

But on the other hand:

Nooooooooooo!
Have fun!! :D:P

at our indiana section match 2 glocks finished 2nd and 3rd in limited. and they didn't back in to the spots as we had 6 masters and 5 A class shooters there. i know it's the singer and not the song but it was nice to see glocks at the top.

Skeeter, what gun finished 1st? :P

i believe that the young master Bob Volgel shoot and STI. it wouldn't have mattered if if he was shooting a rusty old smith with the sights missing. this guy put on one heck of a perfromace. a few of were wondering if we could get a ball and chain on him to slow him down.

I would have to disagree with you, the 1911 is a must have for everyone, just becuz it is a classic. But when it comes to matches, I always bring out my g35  . It functions in all conditions. The best one was during one match, the start position was prone to shoot thru a super low port at a 35yds plate, after that I got up and ran toward the next shooting position, lost my balance and fell forward, the g35 muzzle took a dip to the fine riverbed sand, I got up, just shook it and finished the 40-rds course without a hint of problem. Try that with a 1911 action.

Elsewhere on these boards I tell the story of the day my Wilson 1911 took a sand bath - we're talking just about complete immersal here. I shook the sand out of the gun, stuck it back in my holster and finished the match. The gun still worked.

Skeeter . . . next year, point him out to me and I'll go prone and get a deathgrip on one of his ankles. He's not going to do well on the field courses while dragging me along. :lol:

ha ha ha.....

joey as fast as this kid was you better grab both ankles and force him to hop :P

what is so scary about bob(hey thats funny)is he's only been shooting ipsc since april. and his first classifcation was a 93.8 %master.and he's a nice guy to boot, damn him.