Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 M4 redot set up?

gator

What are your opinions between these two sights for a M4?

C-More or Trijicon Reflex (1x24 model).

Any input?

Thanks,

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking at Multi-gun, I'd suggest a Meopta K-Dot (1-4 Illum).

If simple plinking is the game, I'd probably go with the C-More (especially if you run one on an Open gun).

Any input?

Thanks,

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking at Multi-gun, I'd suggest a Meopta K-Dot (1-4 Illum).

If simple plinking is the game, I'd probably go with the C-More (especially if you run one on an Open gun).

No multi gun, just plinking, maybe as defensive purposes.

EoTech

That's what we issue now.

I'm going to be building something similar for the house (in 6.8SPC) and I've settled on a Trijicon Mini-ACOG. No switches, no batteries, light weight, but a little expensive. Since the wifey might use it I wanted to keep it absolutely reliable and simple. I'm not sure you can cowitness irons with the Mini-ACOG, but I figure it won't be in a combat environment so the chances of killing it are slim to none. R,

I prefer the Aimpoint Comp M sight over all others but also own a C-more and an Eotech. The C-more, at least for me, seems to work best in close-in work because the dot is so easy to pick up, regardless of awkward positions. But, it's also probably the most fragile. Bang it on a tree or any other hard object and it's not going to do well.

The Eotech is more durable and the reticle is nice, especially the 1 moa dot. You can get a sight picture on a pretty small target at 100 yards without completely obscuring it. I do not like the way it turns on and off or having to push the up or down button repeatedly to get the brightness level I want.

The Aimpoint Comp M types are very tough and can take a lot of physical abuse. The glass is good and the on/off brightness control is about as simple as it gets. My only complaint about the Aimpoint is that the dot can get a "bloom" effect if you have it cranked up all the way. Maybe the newer sights don't have this issue. My newest one is a 2 year old CompM2.

The battery life on the Aimpoint is also far superior to the Eotech or C-more. The Aimpoint sight on my personal defense rifle stays on 24-7. I've replaced the battery once in 18 months.

Anyway, for physical toughness, holding zero, battery life and ease of use, Aimpoint wins hands down, in my opinion.

Any input?

Thanks,

Both suck. The C More is not durable and has corase adjustments. Its ok on a pistol but not good enough for rifle work. The reflex washes out too easily. Go with a Aimpoint if you want a dot. For three gun however a good lower power variable scope is better. Like the mentioned Meopta or Trijicons TR24, S&B Short dot, Swarovskis 1-6 and so on and so forth.

Pat

EoTech

That's what we issue now.

I'm going to be building something similar for the house (in 6.8SPC) and I've settled on a Trijicon Mini-ACOG. No switches, no batteries, light weight, but a little expensive. Since the wifey might use it I wanted to keep it absolutely reliable and simple. I'm not sure you can cowitness irons with the Mini-ACOG, but I figure it won't be in a combat environment so the chances of killing it are slim to none. R,

I have a C-more and the Reflex (1x24) and I can't decide which one to keep. The Reflex does co-witness with the irons, and I do like the features that you mentioned. Just wanted to here opinions of others. I think I will keep the Reflex!

Thanks to all who replied,

If your planning to use the gun for 3-gun competitions I would question the decision for either one. If your planning to use the gun for other applications or work then maybe. I've seen shooters struggle with these scopes on 6" plates at 100 yds..

They all have advantages and disadvatages.

If it is going to be left on all the time, Aimpoint has the track record and the battery life. If you don't want to use batteries, and are willing to take a slightly less intense reticle, then the Trijicon Reflex. As much as I like Cmore, not really setup to leave it on for 6 months as they like to eat batteries.

I have an EOTech and it SUCKS. Poor dot quality, terrible adjustments, it shuts off on it's own after 4 or 8 hours, eats batteries if you leave it on, glass is not sharp, reticle goes away at 90* with polarized glasses, overall I don't like it much at all..... It is just a heavy expensive C-More IMO.

I have a Meopta and prefer it to the EOTech by a mile but if I was going to do a red dot for defensive use it would be an Aimpoint, hands down no question. It doesn't have to be turned off so it is ALWAYS ready, battery life is measured in YEARS, adjustments are predictable although not too precise, the glass is clear, the dot is crisp, polarized glasses don't make the dot disappear, light weight, incredibly rugged, on and on. Best red dot sight period. Not cheap but well worth what they cost.

I sold my EOTech to a fellow shooter and lost a whole $25 bucks after owning it for several years they do hold their value. I was just plinking with it for a long time until I started using it for rifle side matches. Once I had to reach out past 50yds or so I just couldn't see the little plates that we like to use around here. So I sold it and moved to a Millett DMS-1 on a Larue mount, liking it so far after one range session and one match.

I'm with G-Man, if you want a reliable scope that works like iron (no switches or batteries) the Trijocon is the way to go. They have a new RMR that looks like a big Docter sight but its illuminated with fiber optic or both fiber and batteries, that might be another option.

Any input?

Thanks,

I have tried the Trijicon Reflex (24mm) RX11 and a Cmore( with rail mount-model not known-borrowed for a day at range) on my M4. The Trijicon can be used with both eyes open really easily, so it can be real fast (or keep field of vision wide for threats). The Cmore is more complex and bulky. I would use the Reflex. It's good out to about 100 yds or so, depending on the light. It's outstanding for CQB work or hoser rifle stages. It is not good for longer range rifle(100-200). I would keep the Reflex-no battery, etc. Easy to use. Irons are the fastest, in my opinion, on known target arrays, but not so good when you are hunting for targets. With good scopes or dots, their is no need to co-witness. Just use the dot or scope. I think a variable 1-4 scope is best for 3 gun, and I like the Trijicon TR24 with red triangle reticle best of that type. It's the schizz. However, it is 3x the cost of my RX11. So keep the Reflex- it's good for most local 3-guns and around the house and vehicle, and then get a an ACOG or 1-4 scope when you can. I think the mini- Aimpoints and ACOGS are too small and not as good as irons. Be happy you have an M4 and have fun!

I have a Cmore on one of my guns. I did use it for 3 gun nats. Never felt outgunned. Most of the long gun matches in our area are under 200 yds and several are under 100yds. I do have a Burris XTR for longer shots. All in all I use the Cmore for most matches. I am trying to get used the XTR. The dot on the Cmore is really easy to find and use. I do shoot the cmore alot faster.

I have a Cmore on one of my guns. I did use it for 3 gun nats. Never felt outgunned. Most of the long gun matches in our area are under 200 yds and several are under 100yds. I do have a Burris XTR for longer shots. All in all I use the Cmore for most matches. I am trying to get used the XTR. The dot on the Cmore is really easy to find and use. I do shoot the cmore alot faster.

Yeah, Cmores are good dots. Quality product. It's kind of like triggers-personal preference.

I agree with you somewhat in the sense that the non-magnification scopes are good scopes however I think we are in disagreement on their intended uses. Once we move beyond the issues of batteries, reliability, and scope clarity then we need to resolve the size of the dot and how much of the target will be covered by it at 100 or 200 yards. A 4 MOA dot will nearly cover a 6" colt speed plate or mgm auto popper at 100 and will cover them at 200. We rarely have the opportunity to use sand bags so this leaves very little room for error when the shot is taken. Something else to consider is the cost of ammo even if your reloading. Not sure about your stages but ours have sometimes as many as 5 or 6 of these small targets scattered at unknown distances and from weird angles of engagement. One shot one hit is always faster & cheaper on the pocket book. Spend a little extra on a good scope that gives your some magnification for the distant shots. Keep the dot for the upclose and personal stuff.

For dots, I like the eotech over any of the tubes out there. It is very bright if need be and the 65moa circle is good for the close and med range targets. For the distance the 1moa dot is alot finer than the single 4 moa dots on some optics. I have also tried switching sholders and it is just much easier to use the eotech for that

The problem with the no battery reflex sights is they wash out. I've owned both Trijicon and Meprolight and both gave me fits. Out and about in the sunlight they're great. In the dark they're pretty good (though the tinted lens make it harder). But if you're shooting from the dark into the light, or shooting from moderate shade at a light color target, you lose the dot too easily. My home range for years had covered benches, and I was unable to shoot at anything but black targets with it. Even that was a problem on real bright days. I'd wanted it for multi use, outside, inside, mixed cover, so it was a poor choice.

The Trijicon I sold early on, swearing off non battery aided sights forever.... until an offer on the Meprolight came along that I couldn't pass up. I use it on my AR45 carbine, out in the range pits with the open sky it works just fine. For that one role it's great. For the record I like the Meprolight better than the trijicon.

Edited by cas

I think that you will have to decide: game gun vs. defense gun. There is some crossover from one to the other, but if you set one up for its intended purpose, you make sacrifices on the other purpose.

I universally dislike the Reflex style sights because of wash out and distortion of colors. (I also dislike the C-more on a rifle, because my rifles aren't treated as gently as Open guns.)

For a defense gun, it is Eotech or Aimpoint. Each has their proponents and the debates can be lengthy. (I like both, but use an Eotech)

For a game gun, you need a magnified sight to be "in the game", like a Meopta or Millett.

(edited to answer the original question: C-more. I would probably sell both, and buy something else. See above.)

Edited by Little Bill