Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

sandman_sy

Im planning to set up a competitioin rifle.. some of my friends is going to the Open Category path ... but just for kicks.. i'd like to make a standard category rifle... meaning iron sights.. but is it possible to hit 4"x4" plates at 300 yards?? ouchh... What does the top players on this category use??? My eyes are still good, until i have visibility issues, i'd like to try the standard path :)

Edited by sandman_sy

I do not know about 4x4 plates at 300 yards, but I like the KNS Precision front sight posts. I run one on my PTR-91 and my armalite ar-15. The other day I was sighting in at 300 on a 6" sight and see and I put 4/5 on the plate. I am sure there are plenty of shooters who can shoot the irons better than that, but it is good enough for me.

On the PTR I am using the standard rear turret sight. On my AR I have the Matech flip up.

Randy

A 4" plate at 300 should be bonus points or something. I have pretty good vision, but I'd need that plate moved in about 100 yards before I would feel like I even had a chance of hitting it. :)

Edited by Bryan 45

Most if not all the top iron shooters have several things in common:

1) The use of a post front sight as opposed to crosshairs or apetures. I think it's because the post is the most versatile front sight. Some use front sights with fiber optic inserts, some don't

2) That post is skinny!

3) Extended sight radius. The front sight is mounted just to the rear of the comp. Some shooters are even using 22inch plus barrels to get even more sight radius.

Extended sight radius... a very good point to consider.. i was going for 16" but looks like i need a 20" :) heheheh..

I just got back from a shoot this weekend that required us to hit a 4x4" at 230 yards.. i could barely see the plate if not for the black cardboard as a backdrop.. good thing i was using optics.. but damn that was far. escpecially when the shadow casted over it.. i had to squint my good eye to see it without the optic. But i had a feeling there was a lot of cursing on the standard division shooting there. There's the challenge ... heheheh... :)

I like the idea of a post front sight.. but what size ?? i heard there's a lot of front post sizes and im not sure that getting a super skinny post will be a good idea at a CQB stage (which is a long course(heavy on points)). The shoot that i attended just this weekend had 2 CQB(32-34 rounds) and 4 Precision(10-24 rounds). It was a blast :) but i felt if i had irons.. i better have a VERY GOOD front post :)

Edited by sandman_sy

Sandman;

I noticed that several of your countrymen are going to the Euro Rifle Championships. Just have them look up Kelly or Trapr or Kurt, or Robby Johnson and take a few photos of real iron sight rifles for you. Since they are R.O.ing the match it should be easy enough to find the 4 of us

In general you DO NOT want a front sight bigger than .050 and I like smaller just like the other 3 mentioned above. For CQB this is PLEANTY big to be seen fast and yet small enough to be very precise. I would listen to some of these guys as they are the premire iron sight shooters in the U.S.

Here is a good example of an extended sight radius AR-15

post-1176-1246328026_thumb.jpg

Sandman;

I noticed that several of your countrymen are going to the Euro Rifle Championships. Just have them look up Kelly or Trapr or Kurt, or Robby Johnson and take a few photos of real iron sight rifles for you. Since they are R.O.ing the match it should be easy enough to find the 4 of us

In general you DO NOT want a front sight bigger than .050 and I like smaller just like the other 3 mentioned above. For CQB this is PLEANTY big to be seen fast and yet small enough to be very precise. I would listen to some of these guys as they are the premire iron sight shooters in the U.S.

Might want to make the picture bigger than the thumbnail :roflol:

Sandman;

Wow.. you guys werent kidding with extended sight radius thing :) heheheh... won't the muzzle blast shake loose the front post it being so close to the comp??

What brand is the rear?? can't see coz the pic is too small :(

Edited by sandman_sy

sandman, if the target was not painted a contrasting color to the background, or if there had been no backer that would have just been MEAN. :surprise:

but with a backer and contrasting color such a shot at 230ish yards is doable provided you can see the target, or at least know exactly where it is. as Kurt said, several of us will be at ERC, a camera and a friend is all you need.

Trapr

something like this Kurt? :cheers:

Looks like a LMT Rear Sight??

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/deta...;product_id=265

I love that rear.. looking for one.. but most sights are "notify me" :(

I'm thinking of this for a front sight...Arms 41B Folding Front Sight Tower

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/deta...product_id=1284

one of the doubts i have is the part that it is a flip up(meaning moving parts) once you flip it down.. it wont be as exact when you flip it up again... true?? any suggestions???

Edited by sandman_sy

rigid sights are better, simply because they are.....................rigid!!!

the flippy ones will move. I've used a sight block with a clamp on sight and it worked great but having that many moving parts was making me nervous, I've since gone to solid one piece rigid sights. the rear is a clamp on, i like YHM, or DPMS but make sure and get the full range of elevation and having 1/2 moa clicks is nice.

Trapr

My brother in law just put a JP front sight base on his Sabre fluted barrel. It worked great, clamped it nice and tight. (JP cat #JPGS-2FS)

I took an A2 front sight base and just drilled and tapped it for (4) set screws. I haven't mounted it yet, but I think it will work well too out on the end of a barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an upper comimg next week from Firebird and I need a front site. Jim suggested I ask you guys as you're the best. I like Mike Pintos JP front setup but I can't find one in stock. Are there alternatives? Jim suggested mounting on top of a dummy gas block. What brand should I look at there?

Also can you buy skinny front posts or is it just the same to file it down? I am just leary of my fililng skills is what's holding me back.

How skinny should I go if I get the file out?

Edited by Slammer

Slammer its much easier to put the post in a drillpress chuck and then take a dremel cutoff wheel and thin it, turn the drill press on and place the cutoff wheel inline with the post. if you can't get it done I can send pinto back with one from RM3G, it will cost you, but you're getting a SG rear sight from me as well.

trapr

Hello: Listen to these guys since they are some of the best iron sight shooters in the world in 3-gun. You could also turn down the front sight in a lathe. I would start with 0.050 then you could turn it down further. Or you could just buy a couple of front posts and turn them down to different sizes. Both kurt and Trapper helped me when I thought I could use iron sights. I ended up using a scope after I realized I could'nt see with the iron sights :roflol: Now I just have to learn to shoot with a scope :surprise: Thanks, Eric

My daughter just started shooting small bore and my friend is big in to high power. And all the shooters in both use some type of cross hairs not post. I am still new to rifles but what I decided to do is cross hairs KNS or JP style on the front and a JP side mount, iron sites for short distains. How does this configuration sounds?

crosshairs work fine with a nice BIG round black dot downrange, but they tend to cover up too much of the target when it becomes a small multi colored, square or circle. I have tried both crosshairs and aperture style in a JP globe and have gone back to a post because it does not obscure the target at all. When the crosshair gets thin enough for decent use then it becomes too thin to pick up quickly against a mottled background at long range.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Good topic. I hope there is a FN Fal shooter out there. Does anyone know if there are better sights for the FN Fal? I think DSA makes a rear "A1" but I am looking for A2 or something better...

DVC,

Sandro

Good topic. I hope there is a FN Fal shooter out there. Does anyone know if there are better sights for the FN Fal? I think DSA makes a rear "A1" but I am looking for A2 or something better...

DVC,

Sandro

DSA has a "Hampton" receiver with a A2 rear sight.

By the By Trapr your rear sight BLOWS!! order a G.I. rear sight from Fulton as soon as you can, maybe we can put it in at Raton! The rest of the rifle turned out GREAT!! KurtM