Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP not cycling

Dogface

So I have a FN SLP, the non rifled 18" version. It has the gas piston for lighter loads installed, checked and double checked. It has been cleaned spotlessly. It cycles slugs and buckshot flawlessly. I recently saw a sale on Winchester target rounds, #7-1/2 shot, and bout a lot of them. They will not cycle. They do however cycle enough to reset the hammer, but not enough to jam. The empty shell is fully in the chamber and the bolt is fully into battery.

I now have 400 rds of ammo I can’t use. What options do I have to cure this? I was thinking of buying a new recoil spring (the one that goes down the butt stock to your shoulder) and cutting coils off it one at a time till the lighter loads cycle. I can’t imagine I would have to cut off too many, since the bold is coming back far enough to reset the hammer. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have any other options?

So I have a FN SLP, the non rifled 18" version. It has the gas piston for lighter loads installed, checked and double checked. It has been cleaned spotlessly. It cycles slugs and buckshot flawlessly. I recently saw a sale on Winchester target rounds, #7-1/2 shot, and bout a lot of them. They will not cycle. They do however cycle enough to reset the hammer, but not enough to jam. The empty shell is fully in the chamber and the bolt is fully into battery.

I now have 400 rds of ammo I can’t use. What options do I have to cure this? I was thinking of buying a new recoil spring (the one that goes down the butt stock to your shoulder) and cutting coils off it one at a time till the lighter loads cycle. I can’t imagine I would have to cut off too many, since the bold is coming back far enough to reset the hammer. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have any other options?

are you oiling the mag tube where the gas ring rides? i use lots of oil. also, i had the colors wrong on the rings. had to re-read the instruction book. mine runs like a champ. ( i don't shoot it like a champ, tho.)

1chota

You said Winchester 7 1/2 shot, need a little more information. 1 1/8 oz of shot or 1 oz.? 3 Dram or lower? How many fps is the load going (it should say on the box). Your shotgun should have two pistons, the black bottom one is for 1 1/2 oz. and heavier load, the red one is for under 1 1/2 oz. loads. Your choice of shell might not be powerful enough for those pistons. How many rounds through the gun?

Rather than cutting the recoil spring, I would order the Browning Gold Sprorting Clays piston from Brownell's. Then you would be set for anything just by changing the piston. This piston is for under 1 1/8 oz loads.

I would always try to use 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz loads at 1250 - 1300 fps., or heavier. At least until the weapon is well broken in.

MAJOR THREAD DRIFT!! WARNING!!

In answer to Mike.45's tag line:

Nuclear munitions

Moon landing

Helicopters

heart transplants

Penicillin

Gatling guns of all shapes and sizes

more "foreign aide" than the GNP of England

We are keeping the M1 Abrams for ourselves :roflol:

I have owned Browning Golds for years and when my shotgun does that it is a gas problem. Make sure in the cleaning process you did not get something in one of the ports or they are blocked in anyway by wadding etc... Brownells sells a brush for cleaning them. Also, make sure that anything that tightens down on a gas ring is tight. I once had the problem similiar to yours and could not figure it out until I found the mag tube was loose allowing enough gas to bleed off to create the problem. If you have installed the gas piston for lighter loads you should not need to repalce it nor should you need to cut coils off the recoil spring. I would double check to make sure it really does have the piston for lighter loads. It sounds like the gun is cycling but not enough for the spent round to clear the chamber and eject so it is just pushes it back in the chamber. Given that the heavier power loads are working ok, I woudl say you have a very small gas problem however just enough for lighter loads not to cycle.

The only way time I have had problems with ammo is when I have used the Winchester ammo with the aluminium case heads, and then the problem was not consistent functioning.

In my FN SLP MK1 for shooting cheap Wal-Mart Federal 1-1/8oz loads (birdshot) I use a Browning Gold Sporting Clays piston which is made for 1-1/8oz loads and lighter.

I got mine from Brownells, it's part number 149-001-884

• 1 year later...

I took my new SLP out yesterday and came across the same issue using the Walmart Winchester 7.5's. I had stove pipes, shortstrokes, and also a couple of times the bolt got somewhat stuck and required a good pull to lodge free. Not a good day at the range. My SX2 if I recall correctly ate this ammo up without an issue. So if a buy the Browning piston for $100 with fix this issue?

Thanks Mac

I took my new SLP out yesterday and came across the same issue using the Walmart Winchester 7.5's. I had stove pipes, shortstrokes, and also a couple of times the bolt got somewhat stuck and required a good pull to lodge free. Not a good day at the range. My SX2 if I recall correctly ate this ammo up without an issue. So if a buy the Browning piston for $100 with fix this issue?

Thanks Mac

you need to degrease your action and lube with a light oil like remoil. then keep it locked back for a couple of days.

run a box of high brass loads through it. if these cycle, then you don't have a problem. just a break-in issue. then try federal value pack (slightly more power than winchester).

i use my heavy piston in my slp and it runs everything. that gives you more versatility and saves you a few bucks not having to buy the sporting clays piston.

good luck.

The Winchester 1 1/8 3 dram stuff won't run my SLP no matter what piston was in it, or how clean it was, or how much break in it got. The Remington and Federal bulk packs from wallyworld work just fine though, as long as the Federals have a good crimp (I've bought a few boxes that were pretty messed up in that area).

Ditch those wimpy Winchester target loads and try some hotter stuff, I pretty much use the Remington heavy dove loads exclusively now and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by technetium-99m

My FN SLP Mark 1 will not cycle the Winchester bulk stuff at all either. Everything else works great. I've pretty much settled on the Federal bulk for the time being. At this point, I would say mine is properly broke in using the steps outlined above.

Great, thats what I wanted to hear :) I knew I should have brought more than 1 brand of ammo with me yesterday. Yesterday was a bad day at the range. I went to sight in my 50BMG and take the SLP out for a test and both had issue's. The darn scope kept on sliding forward a 1/8th of an inch each shot with the rings tighter than I would have liked.

Mac

My SLP locked up tighter than a virgin in a convent running those Winchester Universals. I had to take the barrel off to get the shell out of it a few times. Federals run great. So do the Winchester AA Light target loads.

My FN SLP Mark 1 will not cycle the Winchester bulk stuff at all either. Everything else works great. I've pretty much settled on the Federal bulk for the time being. At this point, I would say mine is properly broke in using the steps outlined above.

When my SLP was brand new it wouldn't eat the Winchester bulk stuff. Federal ran like a champ. After a half dozen matches and a lot of practice sessions, it will eat pretty much anything but Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs and buckshot. I think they are loaded down enough that there just isn't enough gas.

The only malfunctions that I still see on rare occasions, is a failure to feed where the shell will hang up on the lip of the ejection port as it is going into battery.

Great, thats what I wanted to hear :) I knew I should have brought more than 1 brand of ammo with me yesterday. Yesterday was a bad day at the range. I went to sight in my 50BMG and take the SLP out for a test and both had issue's. The darn scope kept on sliding forward a 1/8th of an inch each shot with the rings tighter than I would have liked.

Mac

I have zero experience with anything with recoil like a 50 BMG, but there is friction paper available that is supposed to prevent scope creep. A dot of loctite inside the rings might help as well.

Your SLP will probably eat that Winchester stuff once it is broken in.

I invited a bunch of friends over to come shoot my new shotgun and let them bring shells and help me through the break-in process. :ph34r: We all had fun and when we were done I had a slick operating shotgun.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done a couple of things that may help you...

surecycle recoil spring system with light spring OR the browning/winchester light 12/20ga recoil spring.

sealed piston (by surecycle) or I run a light clays piston

I can cycle ammo down to 3/4 oz