Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fail Zero Bolt Carrier with EXO

MikeFoley

Jason's original post:

I saw an ad for Fail Zero in my American Rifleman magazine and I was curious if anyone has any real life experience with their products. I don't know if it works but it seems like a cool idea.

Jason's original post:

I saw an ad for Fail Zero in my American Rifleman magazine and I was curious if anyone has any real life experience with their products. I don't know if it works but it seems like a cool idea.

Mike. I still haven't spoken to anyone with any hands on experience but I have received some word-of-mouth responses that it's similar to NP3. You may be the 1st one to test it for this site.

They claim that it "eliminates the need to apply oil or grease to treated parts for the life of the weapon." That I would like to see. Why not use it in an engine - save yourself all those oil changes and wear and tear.

I have two of them. They do feel pretty slippery to the touch with no lube on them. I do not/will not run them dry though (I just can't bring myself to do that). Operationally they work just fine. The included hammer is coated with the same stuff. They do clean really easy, probably the best feature of the coating.

They claim that it "eliminates the need to apply oil or grease to treated parts for the life of the weapon." That I would like to see. Why not use it in an engine - save yourself all those oil changes and wear and tear.

I don't own one of these but on a few other forums they have been talked about with positive reviews. Chris Costa, of Magpul Dynamics, has been running one of these BCGs in a carbine for 3500 rounds now without any lube and hasn't had any malfunctions. This is during extended, often rapid fire shooting scenarios.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it finally arrived today. It is a mil-spec BCG, tool marks and all, coated in something that is thinner than hardchrome, but quite slippery feeling. The hammer was kinda rough, not polished, and took a few dry fires and re-charges to feel better. The coating has some thickness too it as the bolt is tight in the carrier with standard 3 piece rings. The entire group is coated evenly. The instructions say to use a stainless steel brush to clean it, honestly, and that any solvent or cleaner is safe as well. I cannot wait to shoot it a few hundred rounds to see how it feels with and without the suppressor. I am going to run it in an 18" rifle in front of a standard carbine buffer and ISMI spring. I will report my findings here occasionally, but it will be at least 4-5 days before I can shoot.

Did you order the basic Bolt carrier kit or the Extreme Duty kit with Exo coated upper reciever? I still cant bear to run mine dry in a standard reciever, as I have the Basic kits. If my upper were coated I would be running it pretty dry. Here is a link to the website http://www.failzero.com with info on the EXO coating. How did you measure the thickness to determine it is thinner than hardchrome?

Edited by mpeltier

Did you order the basic Bolt carrier kit or the Extreme Duty kit with Exo coated upper reciever? I still cant bear to run mine dry in a standard reciever, as I have the Basic kits. If my upper were coated I would be running it pretty dry. Here is a link to the website http://www.failzero.com with info on the EXO coating. How did you measure the thickness to determine it is thinner than hardchrome?

I got the basic kit with the BCG and the hammer. It seems wrong to run it in this new dry reciever, so I put a little oil on the buffer tube rim. I didn't measure it, but my experience with hardchrome tells me it fills in minor crevices, and I see every single tool mark in this bolt.

No Balls!!!! :goof: Run it dry in that new Noveske! Where's the spirit of trying something new. If you give it to me I'll run it dry till failure.

All kidding put aside, let us know how it holds up and any issues that you have with it. Do you guys carry them and if so what's the cost?

Chris C.

Hurry up and beat the shite out of that thing Mike, 30K rounds ought to be good. I need a couple BCG's and this one looks good to me, so let me know how it works at the end of the month when you finish the 30K rounds.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. Any updates on how these are working out? Any more people tried one? Or should I just go with the JP Low Mass and call it a day?

Edited by caz41

• 3 weeks later...

itresting coating

kinda slippery feeling

toolmarks inside, like it was done at some old warsaw pact factory

shoots fine, but I just can't shoot it without lubrication, not my way =)

burned about 3000 rounds with it of Barnaul ammo

everything ok

Reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. Any updates on how these are working out? Any more people tried one? Or should I just go with the JP Low Mass and call it a day?

I like all my ARs including a couple Noveske rifles, but when I was at the range this weekend rechecking zero in my JP CTR-02, it leaves me wanting no other. The sound and feel of the bolt slamming forward is unlike any of my other ARs. It's like the exhaust note of a Ferrari, unmistakably unique and a thing of beauty.

Get the JP Buffer Spring and Low Mass Buffer while you are at it.

maybe unconstructive here if we're talking about merits/performance of failzero coating, but i've never had any problems with quality ar parts and generous lubrication. failzero product may work well and have some use in environments/applications where lubrication burns off too quickly (trying to avoid ATAS armchair commando speculation), but so far i've always had good luck with mil-spec bcg and fire control parts and just lube the heck out of it.