Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber ?

bones507

I am trying to decide which to get , Glock 21 Sf or a Kimber Stainless Govt type model. I am leaning towards the Kimber as the one i handled i really liked the trigger and the feel of it and the price isnt too bad either, $800. Anyone use a Kimber in Competition and have comments on it ? The Glock i am familiar with as i shoot a G-19 often as of late but the trigger isnt the greatest but im getting it down, thanks mainly to the help i have gotten on this site.

I just want to really see what the general consensus is on this board about Kimber .

Thanks

It really depends on what you plan on using it for. Current Kimbers aren't bad guns but they aren't nearly the quality they used to be. G21s tend to be some of the most accurate Glocks out there. Every one I've ever seen shot very well, surprisingly so most of the time. R,

I am trying to decide which to get , Glock 21 Sf or a Kimber Stainless Govt type model. I am leaning towards the Kimber as the one i handled i really liked the trigger and the feel of it and the price isnt too bad either, $800. Anyone use a Kimber in Competition and have comments on it ? The Glock i am familiar with as i shoot a G-19 often as of late but the trigger isnt the greatest but im getting it down, thanks mainly to the help i have gotten on this site.

I just want to really see what the general consensus is on this board about Kimber .

Thanks

I bought a Kimber Custom TLE II last fall, paid $890 including tax. This pistol is very satisfactory in quality and reliability. feeds my SWC reloads like s**t going through a goose. I have been hanging around custom 1911s since the mid-60's and this thing compares quite favorably to them for a whole lot less money. I would buy another one tomorrow. Hope this helps, Kirby

I have thousands of rounds through my kimber without any malfunctions. I have a series 1 kimber without the firing pin safety... I would recommend you get a series 1 as it is less to interfere with the trigger.

The older the kimber the better it is. I have 2 kimbers, one I compete with and 1 I carry. Both are the older kimbers and are very well made guns. Like was said the new ones are nice guns but the old ones are MUCH better made guns. When they went as popular/big they spent alot more attention to detail.

Edited by EkuJustice

I have also shot Kimber alot. Shot a custom II for one year and shot a old style CDP, non alloy lower. they both shot great with the lead. A buddy of mine is still shooting the custom II. I went to a Springer trophy match, have alittle touble with it getting dirty and not feeding. The kimbers never gave a lick of trouble.

good luck

chris

I have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II that I competed about 2 years with in IDPA and USPSA L10. This gun has over 100,000 rounds through it and I has never let me down. I used it of late for a match when my STI did let me down. Now that the STI is back for competition the Kimber resides in my night stand. Over 100,000 through it and it is in my night stand where I am 100% confident in it to use to defend the life of myself and my family. Kimber makes a good gun.

AL

I've been shooting a Kimber for about 4-5 years now in various forms of competition, and I've won quite a few matches with it. When I've lost, it's generally been to another Kimber... or a G21! Springfield and Les Baer also make excellent 1911's. One thing I can say is my Kimber has been 100% reliable... as long as you ditch the stock mag for some Wilsons! If I were to buy another 1911, I'd have no problem going Kimber again.

Edited by jkrispies

Im almost positive that im going to go with the Kimber, i like the Glock but i have wanted a good 1911 for years, one that i dont have to do too much messing with. Too many stories about Colts and other brands that they need this changed out and this altered and that done. I held this one in the shop and it fit perfect in my hand and the trigger seemed nice. So thanks for the input guys, its appreciated.

While eveyone so far has went for the wilson mags I did not have good luck with them in mine. I ended up using the mckormick mags in mine. The wilson polymer follower just did not hold up for me. Just my two cents though.

AL

I'm not clear as to what your objective is, compete with it or some other primary purpose. I don't think you will find many who compete with a Glock 21. It doesn't fit well into any USPSA class, it would be well chosen for CDP class in IDPA. Kimbers are often used in both organizations. I have 2 of them, one for games and one for real life, both are Series 1. I also agree with Ironequalizer about magazines, McCormick's have been far more serviceable in my experience.