Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patriots-A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse

I'm not one to read books very often unless I find one that truly just captures my attention. But Patriots-A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles was recommended to me by a close friend. So I picked up a copy and was sucked in. I literally could not put the book down. It was a400 page eye opening excellent read. It is a book of surviving a socio economic collapse much like what we are close to experiencing right now. Very detailed writing with tons of good reference material.

James Wesley Rawles is also the owner of the survivalblog.com website. If any of you guys want to see how it may be necessary to prepare for survival during a TEOTWAKI situation.....I highly recommend this read.

I read it over a year ago. I enjoyed it, and reread it a month ago to refresh my memory on some of the details. Interesting method of relaying survival info through the story line.

Randy

Thats funny... A few weeks back I was in a wreck and Just Monday I was cleaning my truck out after I settled with insurance and I found this book under the back seat.

So I just started reading it again the other night.

Very good read!

I just purchased a copy last week...it's on the list of to read after I finish Mark Levin's Liberty & Tyranny. The B&N clerk gave me a cross look whist ringing up my purchase last week: Liberty & Tyranny, Patriots, Jonah Goldberg's paperback edition of Liberal Fascism and a paperback of The Federalist Papers. Now if only I could find a chance to read something in more than half hour segments....

a paperback of The Federalist Papers

Allow me to suggest adding a copy of the Anti-Federalist Papers in there, too :) I have the same reading problem you do, though... not enough time ;) I've been reading McCullough's John Adams for something like two months, now!

I just added this one to my Amazon wish list, too :)

Patriots was a good read. A little spooky given the state of the economy which parallels the trigger for the demise of society in the book. A bit tiring are the, in my opinion, unnecessary details describing various items used in the book. To cut telephone poles a McCullough Pro-Mac 610 chainsaw is used, not just a chainsaw. All in all a good read.

Another book in the same vein is One Second After by William Forstchen. In this book American society collapses due to EMP (electromagnetis pulse) weapons being detonated in the atmosphere above the United States. All electrical components in everything are destroyed due to the blasts. Again society reverts back to almost caveman ways in every aspect.

Both are good reads and as I said a little scary. I preferred Patriots as it is more of the "hair, teeth and eyeballs" style as my good friend Bob Widgren describes books such as Patriots.

CYa,

Pat

a paperback of The Federalist Papers

Allow me to suggest adding a copy of the Anti-Federalist Papers in there, too :) I have the same reading problem you do, though... not enough time ;) I've been reading McCullough's John Adams for something like two months, now!

I just added this one to my Amazon wish list, too :)

:devil: Come on Dave everybody knows you can't read. There are no pictures in the book. :sight: Photo, bueler, bueler. <_<

I just finished this book myself yesterday. I did enjoy it, especially the last quarter of the book. But potential readers who read a lot of fiction should be advised that although for a survival manual it has very high literary values, it has very low literary values with respect to general or even genre fiction. If you can get past every corny trope of boys adventure stories being refreshed practically with every page, you can get a lot out of this book. Though, I may stick to the dry "manual" versions in the future if I can get one without ending up on a "list" somewhere ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I just purchased a copy last week...it's on the list of to read after I finish Mark Levin's Liberty & Tyranny. The B&N clerk gave me a cross look whist ringing up my purchase last week: Liberty & Tyranny, Patriots, Jonah Goldberg's paperback edition of Liberal Fascism and a paperback of The Federalist Papers. Now if only I could find a chance to read something in more than half hour segments....

You did'nt pay for those with plastic or tracable funds did you?? :ph34r::roflol:

I love this crowd, you are truely my people !!

Edited by P.Pres

Good book and a fast read. You like to think you might be prepared for something to happen, but this illustrates how much more than a bug out bag is needed.

To me it seemed like a survivalist's fantasy, I have strong tendencies toward preparedness, but this book layed it on thick...then added a few coats. Best read with some tinfoil handy.

Edited by John Dunn

• 3 weeks later...

I read the previous version, just called TEOTWAWKI. Yes, he lays it on heavy, and there are details, but he has reasons for the details. Basically, if he says, use this, he needs to be specific because someone will ask him exactly what he recommends. On Survivalblog, he admits the complete meltdown of society (and return to pre-electric society) is unlikely, but he wants to be ready regardless.

Reading Ferfal's blog maybe a little more realistic about what happens after unrest and difficult economic times, considering he lives it in Argentina.

Lee

I just ordered FerFals book "Survival in an Economic Collapse" off of LuLu.com

FerFal is Fernando Aguirre

I've heard it is a good read and its all true. It is about the SocioEconomic collapse that took place in Argentina in 2001.

• 1 month later...
I just ordered FerFals book "Survival in an Economic Collapse" off of LuLu.com

FerFal is Fernando Aguirre

I've heard it is a good read and its all true. It is about the SocioEconomic collapse that took place in Argentina in 2001.

Tod - any feedback on this book? Thx.

Patriots was a decent read. I just can't get over the pretentiousness of the author using a comma between his middle name and his last name James Wellsley, Rawles.

I just finished World Made by Hand by James Howard Kunstler- another post-economic-collapse book with a very different feel, about 10 minutes ago. I enjoyed it immensely, but I can't really say that I agreed with his take on it.