Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a spare kit they can sell me?

Kevin, they are so cheap from Mcmaster carr (who has no mininium), and I give all the part numbers... If you go to a vendor, you'll pay 4X the price from MC... it's real easy to order and get from them and they are real fast at shipping...

Alan

Kevin, they are so cheap from Mcmaster carr (who has no mininium), and I give all the part numbers... If you go to a vendor, you'll pay 4X the price from MC... it's real easy to order and get from them and they are real fast at shipping...

Alan

No kidding, I used the provided numbers to order sets for myself and a friend of mine; ordered one day and had them the next for under $20.00 I believe..

I will say now that it is so far not a 100% cure; more like 90-ish %.. 'SO much better though that I wouldn't dream of not doing it..

Edited by gunfixer

Hit up Mokken, his post seems promising.

I did but so far have not heard anything. Any forum dealers sell them?

Got a tip that *hit factor shooting supply* has these available for a reasonable price so if you don't want to try the MC way, give them a try.

Alan

Thank you for this information.

I ordered a set on Monday night received it yesterday, very quick delivery. I will install it tonight.

I do have amquestion. For lube is a a thick oil acceptable or should I use grease? I have Briley choke tube grease at home is this ok?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Lu

I ordered a set on Monday night received it yesterday, very quick delivery. I will install it tonight.

I do have amquestion. For lube is a a thick oil acceptable or should I use grease? I have Briley choke tube grease at home is this ok?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Lu

Grease

And for those with 90% fix... try this... tighten the shellplate bolt even more, it should be rather snug, and then you'll have to do it again once the grease squishes (highly technical term) out of the bearing.

on my 650, the shellplate just *glides* into the next detent, there is zero snapping and I load 9mm Major on mine... My 1050 has more problem with powder everywhere (I'm using a very fine powder) than my 650 does.

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Lu

Grease

And for those with 90% fix... try this... tighten the shellplate bolt even more, it should be rather snug, and then you'll have to do it again once the grease squishes (highly technical term) out of the bearing.

on my 650, the shellplate just *glides* into the next detent, there is zero snapping and I load 9mm Major on mine... My 1050 has more problem with powder everywhere (I'm using a very fine powder) than my 650 does.

Alan

I may just be having a Dumb Moment, but... Huh..?!? Lol..!

Mine.. If I take it down to fairly snug I have to back it off close to a full 1/3 of a turn C.C., or the press will not go more than 1/2 way down before

it disallows any further motion.. So.. If I tighten it a little more, it's not gonna move any-which-way let alone squishing..

Where and with what are you lubing (I assume we're talking between the washers on "The fix") and how much in those area's please?

Obviously I've seen the zert fittings, but where else do you guys suggest, and with what, we lube the machine's?

Edited by gunfixer

Could I put the center bolt into lathe and take away the thickness of the washers from the underside of the bolt?

Yes, but then you could not shoot the rounds in Production.

I'll bet money somebody is trying to figure out why!

Could I put the center bolt into lathe and take away the thickness of the washers from the underside of the bolt?

Sure, you could do that. Can you share why you're thinking of doing that though? I can't see any benefit to doing that, the bolt still engages plenty of threads on my setup. I've got 4 full turns of the center bolt into the threads with my bearing setup.

Steve

Anybody tried this mod with just the bearing? Not installing the thrust washers? Might help with the ejector wire set up.

I find that this mid works great but, there is a very fine line on adjusting the bolt, between to tight and just right.