Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135gr JHP Open load results

want2race

Posting it here for future reference as well as to share.

I'm running a 4.5" barrel with EGW 7 port cone comp. 135gr bullet over 7.4gr of Universal Clays averaged 179.9PF at the Indiana Sectional chrono station. I was told it was about 5pf higher than the Skeeters set up though. This is still under the max load in my 10mm/.40 reloading pocket guide.

I need 1250fps for 168pf. I added a port .5" back from the first baffle, .25" from the end of the barrel (for other reasons) and I will try dropping .2gr to see what that feels like.

135 gr bullets in a forty cal racegun are king. They are my favorite weight, I happen to like power pistol with a 135.

Might eventually try Hs6 or LONGSHOT just for the noise lol.

I ran 11.8gr of Longshot behind the 135gr Nosler out of my G35 with a 6" Lone Wolf bbl as a coyote load for a while. It ran right at 1550 fps and was absolutely devastating. Darn sure let you know you weren't shooting factory loads! :ph34r:

Haha I would be terrified to shoot that in my 40 open gun let alone a glock.

If you use longshot you will need three items for safety,

Shooting Glasses to protect your eyes

ear protection (double plug would be recommended)

and a mouth guard to keep all of your teeth in your head LOL

Edited by Alan Meek

Haha I would be terrified to shoot that in my 40 open gun let alone a glock.

Recoil was a bit more than "snappy". :roflol:

I no longer use that load. The locking block would actually flex in the frame and caused damage to the bottom of the slide. Granted, I shot around 5,000 170pf loads during that time through the gun but I'm convinced that these caused most of the damage. I had a G22 that I put nearly 25,000 rounds through before trading into the G35 and didn't have nearly as much wear. Guess there might be a reason Hodgens reduced the max load from 12.0 gr to 11.5 gr after all.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW I'm running 10.0 grs. HS-6 behind 135 Rainer HP, 1.19 AOL through a Barstow barrel with a 6 port comp.. Winds up going around 1340 fps (180pf). I know thats high but the comp works real good for me at that speed. Can't see any pressure problems.

Pete :surprise:

FWIW I'm running 10.0 grs. HS-6 behind 135 Rainer HP, 1.19 AOL through a Barstow barrel with a 6 port comp.. Winds up going around 1340 fps (180pf). I know thats high but the comp works real good for me at that speed. Can't see any pressure problems.

WOW! thats a hefty load! I think I ended up with 9.2 or so of HS6 with 135s, but didn't like the small amount of bullet in the case for 1.190 OAL so went back to 155s...

be careful!

jj

WOW! thats a hefty load! I think I ended up with 9.2 or so of HS6 with 135s, but didn't like the small amount of bullet in the case for 1.190 OAL so went back to 155s...

be careful!

jj

If I remember and at this age it's tough, 10.0 was at the high end on Hogedons table but that was at 1.125, thanks for the advice, might try 9.2 to see if the comp still works ok.

Pedro

I sold my 40 open a while back but I ran 135Gr with 7.2 Gr IMR 7625 at just over 1300 fps. I had a bunch of this ammo left over and a friend shooting limited needed ammo for a match, he shot it in his PARA limited gun and shot his best match ever. Go figure, maybe I need to be using this load in my Limited gun?

I tried HS6 at 8.8 gr with the 135gr but it was to weak to cycle the gun, but it was plenty loud.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I am loading a lot of these 135 NOS in 10mm, (lots of guys are in .40 also) with 800X. I was pulling about 1,680 fps with standard primers, when I shifted to magnum, chrono average was about 1,860 fps. The point of the story, IMR Hi Skor 800-X an often overlooked powder that is capable of extreme velocity and creates a lot of gas, if you happen to own a gun that could use it. PM me if you want some load data..

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

• 3 weeks later...
How 'bout Silhouette? I just bought a pound.

I might even shoot it up if the Nosler 135's EVER show up.

Jimmy,

I will check when I get home. Did some Sil a year ago or so. It was a tad slower than N-340 and left a little unburnt powder at ~175 PF. It seemed to be closer to N-350.

Later,

Chuck

Jimmy,

I will check when I get home. Did some Sil a year ago or so. It was a tad slower than N-340 and left a little unburnt powder at ~175 PF. It seemed to be closer to N-350.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. If possible check your data for primer type. I've seen this unburnt powder reference before.

Wondering if a small rifle magnum primer might fix it.

Jimmy,

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. If possible check your data for primer type. I've seen this unburnt powder reference before.

Wondering if a small rifle magnum primer might fix it.

9.1 Gr of Silhouette got me 177.5 with a Nosler 135 JHP at 1.178 OAL at Area 2 in 2007. I have always used WSP. The same OAL with N340 at 8.1 Gr got me 177.1 at Area 2 in 2008. (I guess I like the feel of 177 :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried 12.0grs Longshot with a Sierra 135jhp and WSP primer seated to an OAL of 1.135". This is the max load in the Hodgdon manual. Shot it in my Glock 22 and it averaged 1450fps. No real pressure signs but what a handful! I know this wasn't from an open gun but it may be helpful to someone.

EG

Edited by ebg3

No video but watched a friend run 5 plates with it yesterday. A little flame from the muzzle and the noise was impressive! I can imagine what it looks like going of in the dark. Kind of had a deep magnum sound to it. :cheers: