Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Round of Layoffs!

uscbigdawg

So while we've already decided that I'm going to go back to school full time and go be a Physician's Assistant, it's just soooo frustrating to see the career I had built a strong reputation in, architecture, just continually go down the drain. It doesn't help practicing in the most tax burdened state in the Union but you have to ask yourself at times, when is it going to be enough for people to realize we can't fund every pipe dream program and spend without restraint?

While it's concerned me in the past, we lost a really good draftsman yesterday and anyone in the A/E world will tell you that getting good drafting support is like trying to win the lottery.

With my upcoming wedding we've decided that pursuing a career in medicine is the more stable and frankly profitable way to go. My MGIB is paying for everything so that's nice, it's just annoying that the career that I grew up loving is not what it once was. The hardest part of seeing the economy the way it is, is fighting the urge to go back to the military. While I have zero hesitation personally in doing so, again, with the pending wedding, I no longer can think in terms of 'I' but rather 'we' and for me that means that I have to place her first and she's already put up with my last deployment. Given my MOS we know that I'd deploy again almost immediately (literally). I don't resent having to share my life with someone. However, at times, I do wish that "life" was a little easier.

The good news is that slowly she's becoming open to moving out of CA. That will help with a lot of personal stuff tremendously. We both were born here, grew up here and all of our family here. However, more and more this state is seemingly a social test case for what NOT to do (economically and socially). Frankly, I'm pushing for Georgia (thanks to kgunz11 and Singlestack to name a few) or Tennessee. Although I don't know how I'll fare in SEC country. :D We'll see how it goes.

Oh well...enough of the whining. :D Just needed to get that off of my chest.

Thanks,

Rich

ETA: I'm still employed. Just no longer willing to "wait it out 'til things get better".

Edited by uscbigdawg

Hell Rich, living in CA is bad enough but Fairfield? :P

I left CA (born and raised in Stockton) when I went into the Army and never thought of going back. I have to go back to visit my parents but other than that you guys can keep it. ;)

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Oh I know. I work up the street from you and the rest of the PERS folks. :D 3rd & S.

Rich

then git yer b-hind down here tomorrow and let's have a few brews for lunch. i'm leaving for the oregon coast saturday morning...without a gun.

"...raised in Stockton..."
Welllll nowwww, Stockton isn't exactly typical of other gorgeous parts of California...... However, I had to spend a few (short) months in Modesto on one ill-fated occasion, and yes, it did suck. In many ways. <_<:rolleyes:

I think I need to talk to her for a spell. Why with my southern charm I could have her talked into this neck of the woods in no time flat! Just think, we could be shooting squirrels at 800 yards, walking the creek barefoot catching bream, and wrestling alligators. (me and you of course, not her :P)

Edited by kgunz11

I think I need to talk to her for a spell. Why with my southern charm I could have her talked into this neck of the woods in no time flat! Just think, we could be shooting squirrels at 800 yards, walking the creek barefoot catching bream, and wrestling alligators. (me and you of course, not her :P)

Is that Southern hospitality or what?

Hey Rich,

As always, first thanks for your service.

Second, congrats on the wedding. I have and will contend that getting married was bar none the best thing I ever did. "We" is a great thing. She'll be there for you like the soldiers that fought by your side. And you'll return the favor. That type of committment is a blessing. Congrats!

I'm like you, the world is challenging and I think how society is changing is troubling. CA seems to lead that a bit, though all of the country is responsible.

That said, making the decisions your making will pay off. Literally and figuratively.

Be good buddy. As always, let me know if I can help.

Jack

Although I don't know how I'll fare in SEC country. :D We'll see how it goes.

f you move to GA, you'll "fare" just fine.... In fact, we'll have you wearing Red and Black and shouting "Go Dawgs! Sic 'Em!" in no time! :roflol:

Hmmmm . . . would I take a bet on that???? You bet!

J

BTW, Tennessee is MUCH better than ga !!! :sick:

Hop,

Isn't that the place where you wear "Safety Orange" to the Football Games? :devil:

Rich,

I hear you, once I get my license (Engineer), we will be looking at MT or SD

UPDATE:

So doing some more research after the first week of school and the school that was in the lead is now far behind. South University in Savannah, Georgia is now WAAAAAY in front. :D Bobby turned the charm on today with Miss Stefanie and I think he made a pretty good dent. I have an evil plan of a trip to Savannah later this year/early next year for about 3-4 days. Site seeing and full blown marketing for the move. I'm sure that I can get Susan and Bobby out for a couple of those days to offer further insight in to southern hospitality.

Rich

ETA: What the hell? No USPSA clubs for 90 miles?

Edited by uscbigdawg

Rich.....don't listen to Sam......TN is not better than GA. Rather.....anyplace is better than Commifornia.

C'mon down to GA. Lots of good shooting clubs around here. You may want to consider more North GA though. Clubs are much closer. Somehwere to shoot every weekend. You can even have evil black rifles.....of the short barreled variety.......with supressors.......and even a happy switch if you can swinfg the dough to obtain one.

Hope you make it down this way.

Well...Emory University is in the Top 5 schools in the country. Although Atlanta (from what I've seen anyways) is not totally my cup of tea. I know that I'm not far from Gainesville, GA and my Cherokee buddies!

Rich

You're not staying in my hotel room any more.... <_<

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!!!!

Oh...UGA has a special place in my heart:

"Because...it's great...to be...a Georgia Bulldog! Yes...it's great...to be...a Georgia Bulldog!!!"

Rich