Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Mag Pouches For Production?

chp5

Hi,

I've decided to shoot Production for a while and I'm wondering how many mags most guys run on their belt for Production.

4 or 5? With the placement requirements, the mags must go around to the middle of your back!

Thanks for your thoughts.

I use two of the double pouches and a single in the middle of the back for emergencies. We see lots of 30 some odd round field courses at matches, so depending on where the reloads need to occur I think a minimum of four mags are necessary without counting the one you start with in the gun.

I use four pouches for IPSC Production division and IPSC Standard division. The first three are black basketweave Safarilands. The last one is a red Safariland pouch.

The red one was given to be by a close personal friend whom happens to be my shooting coach.

When I asked him why the last pouch on my body should be the red one, he says "if you've got to reach into this pouch for a mag...your stage performance in in critical condition".

The moral of the story...I have 4 but try to use only three. ;)

I carry 6. The first four pouches are CR Speed and easy to pull. The last two mags are held in a Bianchi double pouch which is REALLY TIGHT!----I feel if you gotta go past the first four mags (50 rnds) then you had some sort of problem so you want to be sure those mags are THERE! ;)

REMEMBER - The only time you can have too much ammo is when you go swimming! :lol:

Thanks for the replies.

I read the Production rules as allowing my Safariland and CR Speed mag pouches (that I use in Limited) as long as they're behind the center line of the body.

Is that correct or are they forbidden just like speed holsters?

Hi,

I was surprised by the amount of magazines you guys carry for PD, but then I looked up the USPSA rules for PD and saw that in USPSA-PD there is a limit of 10 rounds in the magazine, which explains :huh:

I carry three 17-round magazines on the belt and one spare with about 10 rounds in a pocket to top-off the gun if needed upon starting.

I usually use two of the Fobus double mag holders. If I shot a lot of Production, I would likely have at least one more holder on the belt (for 5 on the belt). Sometimes I'll use the Safariland single pouches that I use in Limited. I used to stick some extra mags in the back pocket (is that legal?). But, I trust my accuarcy enough now that I seldom feel the need.

Some matches...the stage designers don't think in terms of the Production shooter. You gotta have enough mags to be able to do your reloads where you want.

• 2 years later...

I've been using 4 CR Speed pouches, and 1 clip-on pouch behind them, that I can remove if starting a stage lying on back or whatever. This is in addition to a starting mag which comes out of my pocket.

Havent really needed to go so far as to pull the 5th mag in a stage yet, but it comes in handy when running 2 or more strings, and not leaving the shooting box to reload for the next string.

In USPSA Prod. Div mag pouches need to be behind the 'hip bone' not behind a center-line.