Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Funny/Sad things seen/heard at the Range

lalakai

Doing a qualifying shoot and watching the detective start the course in front of me. On the very first target we hear...CLICK.

After the previous stress shoot (2 months earlier), he had cleaned his pistol, but never chambered one since then. oh well.

Doing a qualifying shoot and watching the detective start the course in front of me. On the very first target we hear...CLICK.

After the previous stress shoot (2 months earlier), he had cleaned his pistol, but never chambered one since then. oh well.

Glad his click was at the range.

I have seen the EXACT same thing working at our range with one of our agents. I think he actually learned a lesson that day.

I have seen the EXACT same thing working at our range with one of our agents. I think he actually learned a lesson that day.

I recall hearing about one police range with a firm reminder posted on the exit.

"No UNLOADED firearms past this point."

There was a CCW instructor on one of our bays teaching his class, and we over heard a ton of them. Dan A. and I's favorite is that, "good defensive ammo MUST be loaded with nickel brass".

That's not got old yet. This is the same instructor that didn't mind sweeping the parking lot about a dozen times. No further comment on that though.

Rich

When shooting MP5's with a buddy at an indoor range...a guy came up and said "I guess you guys are on some special team..."

My buddy... "We like to think we're special!"

I about AD'd in my pants on that one...

Just for clarification...we both just a couple of schmoes...and not very special at all B)

After quarterly training, we found that someone had left a recoil rod at the cleaning bench. Which means that one out of 400+/- officer reassembled their gun, loaded it, and was carrying it on duty.

We sent out a group email...check your gun, come back to the range and pick up your guiderod....NO answer.

So we had to go out everywhere....patrol, traffic, narcs, admin, etc.

Found a detective who was missing his guiderod.

And another one...

Was working at the range and I get a phone call from an officer; we had gotten a teletype thingy about MRI machines in hospitals magnetizing officers guns, and supposedly making the guns nonfunctional. This guy had been on a call at one of the hospitals, and now thought his gun had gotten magnetized.

I told him that he needs to come out to the range and test it; he HATED that option.......if he shot it he would then have to clean it. So we're going back and forth a bit..........I'm telling him he needs to come shoot his gun, he's saying he doesn't want to.

Then it hits me......this guy is an office guy......with a desk......stapler....a cup that holds his pens......and one of those little magnetic paperclip holders.

I ask him how he determined his gun was magnetic; "Well, I took one of my paperclips and held it against my gun......."

I ask if he got the paperclip from his little magnetic holder thing. Silence. Long silence. Finally...

"Yeah. I guess that's the problem. Later."

FY42385

"Well, I took one of my paperclips and held it against my gun......."

I ask if he got the paperclip from his little magnetic holder thing. Silence. Long silence. Finally...

"Yeah. I guess that's the problem. Later."

FY42385

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

While shopping for groceries, I was in the checkout line behind a brute squad of a guy with a Glock 22 in his back pocket. The pistol was just barely hanging in there and as he squeezed between the cart and the candy rack (to get in front of his cart to pay) the pistol peeled out of the pocket and stayed pretty-as-you-please in the box of 5th Avenue bars. This grizzly of a guy didn't notice but several people in the line did and they cleared out thinking Al Qaeda was surely close by, but I had a feeling I knew what was up so I stuck around.

He finished up and left, pistol still in the box of 5th Avenues, so I grab the pistol, cleared it, and follow him out the door. I said something smartass along the line of "Hey Mister, you left your pistol at the checkout" and his nonplussed reply was "It's OK, I'm a cop." as he flashes me his shield. :blink:

So my earlier feeling turned out to be true, unfortunately. I went back in, paid for my groceries, and of course I added a 5th Avenue to my cart just to have some fun with the cashier.

That last is quite scary. You were there and retrieved, cleared and returned the pistol, what if you weren't and some kid in line let a round off?

At the very least you should report him. Had his reaction been in the OMG vein and he was appreciative and contrite, no, but the 'No biggie' response means he should not be employed as he is. He is a danger.

Jim

Helped set up and run a USPSA based fun shoot for a local PD recently. One of the officer's G23's was failing to feed about twice every mag. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he didn't know, but that damn glock just would NOT run with American eagle Factory ammo :blink:. Um, right. Do you mind if I look at it? He responded sure, but he had had it to three different gunsmiths two couldn't figure it out and the third said it was the extractor. So the third gunsmith "refit" a new extractor to the gun and "that should have fixed it". He was going to send the gun back to Glock, because he couldn't get it to run.

I pulled out my glock tool and completely stripped the gun down. Good news, all the parts were in the gun. Check. Gun was bone dry, lube appropriately. Check. Extractor acually had filing marks on the bottom point of the claw :rolleyes: .

Ok, lets load some mags and see whats going on. Grabbed one of the mags and pushed a round into it.... "Um, do you leave these mags loaded a lot?" Why yes, for about the last two years. Pulled the mag apart, stretched the spring out, reassembled, bang, bang, bang all day long... "Replace all of your mag springs." He replies, "interesting, I haven't heard that one before. I'll have to give that a try." I responded, "we just did and that's your problem, not the gun or the ammo. Mag springs wear out. Change them. There is nothing wrong with the gun or the ammo." "Uh, sure, OK." :mellow:

...some people you just can't reach... Guess I didn't have the right certification or something.

Edited by SA Friday

I told him that he needs to come out to the range and test it; he HATED that option.......if he shot it he would then have to clean it. So we're going back and forth a bit..........I'm telling him he needs to come shoot his gun, he's saying he doesn't want to.

I'd have been PISSED!

Old story.

I had an employee that used to do commercial loading for most of the gunshops and police forces around. He was telling me that when the PDs went to requiring annual quals they had some interesting problems.

Officer comes to the line, draws gun, CANNOT move trigger. This is a revolver. Well it took a mallet and some determination to drive the cylinder open and then to drive the rounds out of the cylinder. Seems the officer had never fired his weapon in the near about 15 years he was on the force. He used to go home, take his revo out, wipe it down, reholster it and put it on the shelf. Not an isolated case either from his recollections.

Another buddy is a trainer at a local PD. had officer come to line, Draw, Click, reload, click. Seems that at the last qual, he shot all his ammo as required and just never reloaded. rode around for 6 months with an empty gun AND mags!

Maybe we should be doing the training and running the Quals? Thankfully we all can laugh at these stories since they ended without incident, but they could have ended very badly. They are probably somewhat rare in the grand scheme of life.

Jim

We are at the range for a practice session. A LICENSED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR was on our practice bay when we get there, and he asks if he can run a Qual on a security gaurd when he arrives. He will just leave his targets up when the guy shows up he will do the qual while we wait. No Problem. We are running courses of fire when the security gaurd shows up. The gaurd shows up with his gun on. One of our shooters is down range at LAMR. I look over a the instructor and the gaurd, and the guard pulls out his gun and starts to ask the instructor some questons. I holler "HOLSTER YOUR GUN" at which point the instructor pulls his gun. While I am on my way over to the two the instructor is racking the slide on his gun and looking at the gaurd. I am moving rather quickly and grab the instructors arm/wrist area, look him in the eye and say "HOLSTER YOUR GUN". :angry2: He does so. Meanwhile the shooter down range is running a course of fire. Whe the shooting stops I procede to explain the concept of no guns out of holsters "at any time when someone is down range".

Response "but the guard had some questions about how the safety on his gun works". :o I tell him again about no guns out of holsters when someone is down range. "But they are not loaded" :angry: Now I give him a little elevated lecture, and he goes and gets his targets and moves to a different bay.

I realize that I may not have been completely civil, and after awhile I go to his bay to make sure he understood what I was telling him. He then responds that he heard my first command to holster his gun, but that he thought I meant to keep it pointed down range. :huh: More lectures continue at this point. I am pretty sure that he understood what I was saying by the time it was all said and done.

Those are the 3 stupidest things I have heard at a range from one individual. I have heard 1 of those from other shooters before, but never that many.

They are probably somewhat rare in the grand scheme of life.

<_< Being a cop for 10 years and 21 years of ADAF, I can resoundly say, no, they occur enough to not qualify as rare.

An example. One of the drills we go through in our combat course is "disfunction Junction". Five M-4's are intentionally jammed. The jam in the M-4 is not known to the shooter, and oh ya, one of them isn't jammed but loaded and on safe (this info isn't shared with the shooter).

Timed event. go through the M-4's clear the jams, fire two rounds, clear and safe the gun and go on to the next one. One would think the jam that really sticks it to everyone is the bolt-over. It's not. The one that gets the majority of the shooters is the unjammed gun on safe. Great drill, BTW.

There was a CCW instructor on one of our bays teaching his class, and we over heard a ton of them. Dan A. and I's favorite is that, "good defensive ammo MUST be loaded with nickel brass".

That's not got old yet. This is the same instructor that didn't mind sweeping the parking lot about a dozen times. No further comment on that though.

Rich

That might be a carry over from old school revolver carry. Regular brass gets grungy fast in loops, dump pouches and speedloaders if not cycled though regularly. Rounds caked with green grunge are not easy to load... :mellow:

Getting to the range without my ammo.

Getting to the range without my gun.

Getting to the range and finding out it's not open during waterfowl season.

Driving more than an hour away to the other range.

First shotgun match, shooting over the hood of a car. Got a little close to the windshield, no break but a foot long streak of plastic from the wad.

Dropping the loaded mag during a mag change and catching it in mid-air.

Flinching a shot from a CZ-52 that skipped off the top of my buddy's chronograph (one of the down range models, not a Chrony) then explaining the chrono was not broken, the bullets were really going 1600 FPS. :surprise:

Other people...

Couple of class three manufacturers were out at the public range shooting at a square piece of diamond plate stuck in the ground with a suppressed Sten. Nice and quiet. Quiet enough for me to hear the ricochets tearing through the trees behind the berm. Once I pointed it out to them, they stopped.

Buddy used to drawing from a Safariland 012 holster using a Serpa holster at an IDPA match. No he didn't remember the button... :roflol:

Noticing smoke coming from behind one of the berms. Not sure what was going on and not wanting to head back to see. Stopped off at the ranger station and let them know...

First range trip with my younger daughter, I took a two liter soda bottle full of water. Had her hit and kick it a bit to try to "hurt" it, then set it downrange and blew it up with a hollowpoint. Daughter "Do it again! Do it again!" :)

The new handfree cell phone... Flip phone being held in place by muffs.

Having a seasoned shooter tell the new shooters the importance of a good walk though, then run into a wall when he shoots the course. <_<