Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper way to dislodge squib

ammowaster

I had a bad batch of ammo the other day and realized I dont know the proped way to drive out a stuck bullet

Main questions

Take the barrel out of the gun or leave it in?

My rounds both stopped right in front of the chamber so I just drove them out that end. Do I need to worry about which way I push the bullet out?

Thanks

Here is what I was told... Remove the barrel from the gun and wrap it in a cloth so you can hold it firmly. The bullet will usually be closer to the chamber than the muzzle, so insert a wooden dowel into the muzzle and tap it with a small hammer until the bullet comes out.

You can use a steel rod IF you bush it up to bore size with warps of masking tape. Make sure only the tape touches the bore. Light tap is generally all it takes. Steel rod bushed pushing a round lead ball is how I slug bores.

Boats

I've used brass rods for years.

Go to the local welding supply and buy a brass rod in a diameter just under the diameter of your barrel. They usually come in 36" lengths.

Cut to length. One welding rod yields a lifetime of squib rods and when they are loaned out at a match, no big deal when it never returns.

Bill

Go to the local welding supply and buy a brass rod in a diameter just under the diameter of your barrel. They usually come in 36" lengths.

Cut to length. One welding rod yields a lifetime of squib rods and when they are loaned out at a match, no big deal when it never returns.

Bill

I bought mine for 9mm and smaller. I figured that's the smallest needed at any USPSA match...

Bill

+1 Exactly what I did. I need to do it again, I only have one left in the range bag. Good way to make a friend fast.

The only one I've ever removed was a round 2/3s of the way down the barrel of a Glock 34. It was stuck bad.

Used a fellow shooters squib rod. Placed the barrel breech-down on a wooden desk, and improvised a hammer out of a steel target frame. Came right out. I have never heard of anyone driving a squib out the muzzle end of the barrel.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

thought I'd throw this out there.

I had one the other day. Used a brass rod with the barrel still in the gun(1911) and when the bullet came out the breech end it smashed into the ejector and broke it.

I made up a brass squib rod pressed into a short piece of 1-1/4" delrin, and thus far (knock on wood), I've loaned it out a half dozen times and never needed it myself. If it isn't stuck to bad, you can smack it with your palm and not need a hammer. Good karma to have one in your bag!

• 2 weeks later...