Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's transition to the dark side is complete!

Carlos

I'd be curious if they're actually building it or farming it out.

Looks like Ruger makes: both receivers, barrel, BCG and piston system.

they farm out: rail handguard, grip, sights. Dunno about the rest.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit that I don't get to all the bigger matches, but has anyone seen 3 gun sponsorship from Ruger?

I wouldn't think so. Ruger still doesn't make a defensive or tactical shotgun and their pistols aren't the most tunable or customizable. And the SR 556 was just announced on Friday.

With that said, I haven't seen, handled nor shot the new line of 9mm pistols. Maybe those are decent--after the recall service has been performed. :roflol:

Edited by Tokarev

For as much $$ as Ruger makes on firearms, I am not aware of a single cent going to either USPSA or IDPA. HOWEVER, Ruger is listed as a "Corporate Member" of SASS / Cowboy competition shooters.

This proves Ruger is willing to support shooting competition in at least one form. Perhaps the right people from USPSA & IDPA need to approach Ruger about sponsorship (and if they said "no" in the past, maybe its time to ask again?).

For as much $$ as Ruger makes on firearms, I am not aware of a single cent going to either USPSA or IDPA. HOWEVER, Ruger is listed as a "Corporate Member" of SASS / Cowboy competition shooters.

This proves Ruger is willing to support shooting competition in at least one form. Perhaps the right people from USPSA & IDPA need to approach Ruger about sponsorship (and if they said "no" in the past, maybe its time to ask again?).

That's certainly worth a try. I suppose the LP9 or whatever that's called could be a good pistol for production.

Wasn't there a review of this gun in "Front Sight" a couple months ago?

That's certainly worth a try. I suppose the LP9 or whatever that's called could be a good pistol for production.

Wasn't there a review of this gun in "Front Sight" a couple months ago?

Ya, the SR9 runs, but I wouldn't exactly call it a competitive gun in production.

that sr-556 is listed at my local gun shop (they have none in stock but the price is listed) at 1,560....

i went there to look at one of those sr9 handguns that they had listed for about 400....

the handgun was alright, not overly impressive but still good for the price its at.

i am still debating buying it... its kind of hard not to at 400 i am thinking....

as for the rifle, i have no idea when they will be getting in, i would like to look one over

• 2 weeks later...

During the times I was running prize tables for the Indiana State and Region IDPA matches Ruger donated several times, all merchandise (shirts, hats etc) They did the same for last years Indiana USPSA Section Match (About $500 worth of their nice denim shirts) and this year they have donated a certificate for their SR9 pistol.

Ken Jorgenson who used to work with S&W is the person to speak to.

Excellent! That is just the sort of information we need. Ruger is such a large player in the firearms market that we (USPSA and IDPA) can't afford to ignore them. Great to know that Ruger has supported us in the past; perhaps we can grow that support in the future.

Regards,

d

During the times I was running prize tables for the Indiana State and Region IDPA matches Ruger donated several times, all merchandise (shirts, hats etc) They did the same for last years Indiana USPSA Section Match (About $500 worth of their nice denim shirts) and this year they have donated a certificate for their SR9 pistol.

Ken Jorgenson who used to work with S&W is the person to speak to.

Anybody seen/handled/fired one?

Not yet. There's only one or two guys on all the various AR boards who claim to have shot one.

Old prejudices die hard. Most guys, having not even seen one yet, are declaring the SR556 to be junk!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anybody seen/handled/fired one?

I bought one this afternoon. The price was $1,589.00.

The gun comes with a cheap rifle case with "Ruger" in bold red letters on both sides. Also included are Troy rail covers and three Magpul magazines.

I've got 120 rounds through the gun so far including 60 rounds are fast as I could pull the trigger. The bolt does stay surprisingly cool to the touch even when the barrel's too hot to touch. I ran the gun for 10-15 rounds on "1" and had several failures to cycle fully. I then dialed it up to "2" and the gun ran fine with Speer Gold Dot. On "2" the gun wouldn't always cycle with some 55FMJ reloads but a quick twist to "3" cleaned that right up. These reloads are something I put together with Accurate 2200 and a Winchester FMJ bullet. I don't remember the load but I do remember it was somewhere down around the start load for this powder. I also have some old WOLF 55JHP and the gun wouldn't run it on "2" either. Anyway, Ruger says that the gun should run properly with most commercial ammo on the "2" setting.

Once I got home, I pulled the gun apart and looked everything over. The bolt and carrier are still clean and there's no oil and other crud blown around inside the upper or down into the trigger group.

I'll hopefully get the rifle on paper in the next day or two. And I need to find some kind of optic to mount.

Ruger always used to sponsor the SOF world championship 3-gun match, saw many a Mini and a few pistols as well, and that was for SOF!! I would think USPSA and the big 3 gun matches could get some support if they tried! KurtM

I drove out into the hills east of town this morning with a handful of mags and a variety of ammo. Let me start by saying that I'm out of rifle sight-in targets and all I have are big brown USPSA targets. I set up two targets and then shot for group at 100 yards. I shot in the prone using a tool box and a rolled up gun case as a rest. I used an Aimpoint and my Larue Poor Boy off my 6920 as an optic. I've got a Burris AR 332 on order and, if it ever arrives, it'll go on top.

WOLF 55JHP shoots about like you'd expect. 2-2.5" groups at this distance. Speer Gold Dot ammo shoots a little better. I also took along some old DCM reloads and was pleasantly surprised to find that a 77gr Nosler with 23gr of AA#2230-C shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards. I was worried about the 1x9 twist and the heavier bullet. Also along for the ride was a box of 69gr Nosler loaded with 24.5gr of Varget. This stuff shot the best with several groups right at or just over an inch.

After this, I moved my position back to 300 yards. Now, I don't have a laser range finder and this was actually 300 paces away from my targets. So it could be 275-325 yards for all I know. Anyway, I got back in the prone and commenced to firing 5-shot groups at this distance. At 300, I had to aim at the head to keep the rounds center mass. But I was surprised that the 69gr load still shot well. I had a number of groups that could be covered with the palm of my hand. The 77gr and 64gr Gold Dot stuff shot a little worse but still respectable with most groups running about six inches, give or take. I only fired one group of WOLF from here and I think I had something like 2 Alpha, 2 Charlie and 1 Delta at 300. Not bad for cheap crap.

As I walked back and forth to check my targets, I took the carbine with me. I kept it loaded with WOLF and blasted at rocks as I made my way down range. Somewhere through my 2nd magazine, I had a failure to extract with a rim torn off the case. By this point, the chamber was pretty dirty and the gun was pretty toasty. I guess not even Ruger can make a gun that'll run 100% with WOLF! I fired a total of 150 rounds today bringing the total to just under 300 rounds through the gun.

I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. The gun sure seems to want to shoot. I'm sure that with a target better suited for precision aiming, a lighter trigger and with a better rest, I could probably reduce my groups by 25%

The wife's out of town and she took the digital camera with her. I'm aware that without pictures, this stuff more than likely never happened. But my word is good, isn't it? We know the answer to that!