Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun choice

lugnut

I'm currently using a G35. Lots of folks are using the 2011 STI from various gunsmiths.

What do you use? Advantages? Reasons?

My G35 can only reliably hold 19+1, it's light, smaller grip that 2011, no safety to activate/disactivate and has been as reliable as hell. Trigger is good 3.5lbs or so but long compared to most 2011s.

I'm considering a 2011... mosty because- honestly- they look and shoot really nice. It's a want not a need and I don't expect it to make me a better shooter! :rolleyes:

Edited by lugnut

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to all of this, so keep that in mind.

I do believe this is like asking "Ford or Chevy?" but I can tell you that I got lucky...real lucky! Starting out last summer, I had no clue as to what gun to get. A long story made short I stumbled onto Brazo's website. Made a phone call to Bob, explained my desires and situation and WHALLA, I had a High Performance Edge (40). That purchase is the best move I have made. The gun is dead nuts accurate (though I induce problems from time to time) and it just flat out runs! Only time I had a problem was when I learned that too much standard slide glide...on a cold rainy day....is not a good idea. Again, self induced malfuction...not the guns fault.

I have purchased several other guns since this one but it is still my favorite.

OH...and it looks good too!

:cheers:

Edited by Bigpops

2011 STI. They're reliable as hell, you can get large grips, small grips, stippled grips, factory grips, and if you dont like one just change it. No need to get a new frame. My primary LTD gun is light, and has a small grip (Roupe) but I have another that has a medium grip stippled By Matt Cheely which is very nice.

My STI mags hold 20+1, and my SV mags hold 21+1. All of them are very reliable too.

Trigger is a crisp 2.5 pounds, and the gun recoils very little (compared to a Glock).

You will get used to a thumb safety after some time. Shot a "Fun Match" last night with carry guns, and felt weird without a thumb safety. :lol:

100_5819.jpg

100_5813.jpg

I'm currently using a G35. Lots of folks are using the 2011 STI from various gunsmiths.

What do you use? Advantages? Reasons?

My G35 can only reliably hold 19+1, it's light, smaller grip that 2011, no safety to activate/disactivate and has been as reliable as hell. Trigger is good 3.5lbs or so but long compared to most 2011s.

I'm considering a 2011... mosty because- honestly- they look and shoot really nice. It's a want not a need and I don't expect it to make me a better shooter! :rolleyes:

I understand that Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps are fine guns, but I really don't see why anyone would choose to compete against single action guns with a Safe action/double action/whatever trigger.

Shot a "Fun Match" last night with carry guns, and felt weird without a thumb safety. :lol:

Then carry the "right" gun....oh wait, I don't either, DANGIT!

Yeah I voted STI as well. Really the STI/SVI is the same platform just made by different people. I shoot it basically for the same reason's Chris gave. My gun is almost as light as a Glock anyway, has a better trigger, better grip angle (for me), and I think looks better B)

Oh let me add. Dave did win Limited nationals with a Glock so that platform is competitive. If its all you got for now, shoot the heck out of it. Very few stages will it benefit for you to have a 21/22 round mag, granted I ran into one sunday where a 21 round reloadable mag was the ticket.

CPJa12.jpg

CPJe12.jpg

Edited by steel1212

I understand that Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps are fine guns, but I really don't see why anyone would choose to compete against single action guns with a Safe action/double action/whatever trigger.

I guess no one told Dave Sevigny that. :rolleyes:

2006 USPSA_Limited_Limited10_Revolver_Nationals - Final results for Limited

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady For Age Match Pts Match %

1Dave SevignyTY42164GMLimitedMajorNoNo1516.7026100.00%

2Chris TilleyTY38861GMLimitedMajorNoNo1514.353099.85%

3Robert J. LeathamL684GMLimitedMajorNoNo1507.477499.39%

4Todd JarrettL2458GMLimitedMajorNoNo1501.142498.97%

5Michael SeeklanderA30288GMLimitedMajorNoNo1498.592198.81%

6Henning WallgrenTY25335GMLimitedMajorNoNo1461.566096.36%

7Phil Strader Jr.FY31992GMLimitedMajorNoNo1446.800495.39%

8Taran ButlerL2354GMLimitedMajorNoNo1437.909794.80%

9Blake J. MiguezFY29399GMLimitedMajorNoNo1424.453593.92%

10Mark T. HanishTY34253GMLimitedMajorNoNo1391.450791.74%

I have a G35 with a $125 Vanek trigger and I am learning (or trying) to control the trigger and not slap it. That makes it pretty responsive with a fairly short throw. I like the 2011's and might get there one day, but I'm not as accurate as my G35 yet so I'm in no rush to spend 3-4 times as much for a 2011.

Simple really- it's what I had already. It allowed me to try Limited. I've only shot in Limited for a few months now... previously I was shooting production.

Damn nice pics guys... and I know there is a lot of information on this topic scattered thru this and other sites- but this is perfect!

Edited by lugnut

I guess no one told Dave Sevigny that. :rolleyes:

There are exceptions to every rule. Jerry Miculek does things with a DA revolver that most of us can't do with a well tuned Limited gun. But I would think that for the average shooter who isn't shooting full time and sponsored by a gun manufacturer, a light single action trigger would be faster than a double action trigger.

By the same token, I've seen Bob Munden hit tiny targets at 100 and 200 yards with a snubby revolver, but I suspect that most of us would find those shots easier to hit with a longer barel.

But I would think that for the average shooter who isn't shooting full time and sponsored by a gun manufacturer, a light single action trigger would be faster than a double action trigger.

Like me?

It's just trigger control.

A couple random thoughts:

1) The more you believe switching to a new Limited gun and platform will help your shooting...the happier you will be.

2) I approached the change with a lot of skepticism, and as a consequence, was pretty unhappy during the inevitable learning curve with a new gun's feel and timing. I was cynical, and wanted objective proof that a 2011 would improve my game - of course it didn't and doesn't exist, and it's no fun doubting a major purchase decision.

3) 2011-style pistols are wicked cool and that's reason enough to own one. Glocks are not wicked cool, but you can buy a sack of 'em -- for cheap -- and it won't be devastating if one is stolen or lost.

4) 99% of the question has to do with personal disposable income and choices thereof - very little is about shooting.

5) Given the cost of ammo, with either platform, you'll quickly outspend the cost of the gun, so might as well get what you want.

6) There are some folks who derive satisfaction by making it a point to succeed with the minimum equipment necessary -- the guy who shoots par golf with an ancient set of hand-me-down sticks; the bowler who rolls a house ball; the shooter who makes GM with basically a stock G35, so weigh opinions accordingly.

I was the first kid on the block to shoot a Para .45 built up from a frame kit (complete guns as well as 2011, .40 S&W and Glocks didn't exist back then). If something was to happen to my equipment and I had to start over I would go with a 5" or 6" fat free of some kind. Would have to try both out to see. But then again SS was fun when my Para was in for a new front sight.

Richard

I shoot a G35 for Limited/Lim-10 with a Lone Wolf barrel, Vanek trigger, Dawson ICE magwell, Arredondo mag extensions, Dawson FO front sight & Heinie slant pro rear, and Titanium guide rod. Probably a little over 1,000 for the whole package (I get LE/Military discount on Glocks).

I also shoot a G22 with just some home-done trigger work.

So why do I shoot these?

A) I can work on them myself at home with very few tools

B) They are cheap and allow me the extra money to buy ammo, reloading supplies, and parts in case there is a problem.

When I make Master with the G35...I'll think about an STI and/or Wilson.

z-

I like how the STI/SV folk post pictures...

And, a Glock fan posted Dave's match results.

Really, the Nationals and World Shoot has been won by a variety of guns.

Pick what you like and go to town with it!

Pick what you like and go to town with it!

Well of course! But finding what you like best and what works best is part of the fun. For me, after only a few years of IDPA and now USPSA- the Glock G34/G35 feel just so right in my hands... but that doesn't mean I'm not curious as to the potential of other guns. I shot a S&W 1911 for a better part of a year... struggled with it like crazy in many ways. Changing to something else was the best decision I could have made. Change is good... if it's for the right reasons.

its the Indian and not the arrow...

Having said that there alot of Indians with STIs out there

I disagree. It's "mostly" the Indian for sure. But equipment matters a bunch from my experience.